Pick a Nissan V8 4x4 family hauler.

His feedback came from having transmission failures in Mercury Villager and Volkswagen Routan, both of which he owned in the past. Ever since then he never trusted minivans.
Both of which were discontinued and no longer made. So basically it's an "emotional feeling" and has no basis in reality compared to what is BEING MANUFACTURED TODAY.
Did you manage to point this out to him?

Both of which were discontinued and no longer made. So basically it's an "emotional feeling" and has no basis in reality compared to what is BEING MANUFACTURED TODAY.
Did you manage to point this out to him?
Did you manage to see the point I keep making? The point about the budget? Which vehicle MANUFACTURED TODAY fits the sub-$10k budget?

Many people drive SUVs or Trucks or Sports cars because they are better vehicles for their needs.

Just because I prefer to drive a truck (beyond the fact that I need one as well) and not a slow pathetic appliance doesn't mean I'm worried about my image or something along those lines.

It just means I have a soul and enjoy driving.
Yes, trucks were always drivers vehicle in the category of: what is more dynamic? Horse carriage or truck?

Did you manage to see the point I keep making? The point about the budget? Which vehicle MANUFACTURED TODAY fits the sub-$10k budget?
I highly doubt CKN was talking about new minivans, but rather the recent ones made in 2010’s. These have not change all that much in regards to transmission reliability.

Minivan transmissions have been solid for over a good decade now. Sure, Chrysler’s trannys still can decide to quit from time to time depending on maintenance , but it’s not even close to how bad it was back in the 90’s and early 2000’s.
Odyssey and Sienna have very solid transmissions.

I highly doubt CKN was talking about new minivans, but rather the recent ones made in 2010’s. These have not change all that much in regards to transmission reliability.

Minivan transmissions have been solid for over a good decade now. Sure, Chrysler’s trannys still can decide to quit from time to time depending on maintenance , but it’s not even close to how bad it was back in the 90’s and early 2000’s.
Odyssey and Sienna have very solid transmissions.
Yes-this^^^^

His feedback came from having transmission failures in Mercury Villager and Volkswagen Routan, both of which he owned in the past. Ever since then he never trusted minivans.
Here is the ironic part...neither of the minivans identified above were made by their respective brands. The Mercury Villager was a relabeled Nissan Quest and the VW Routan was a rebadged Dodge Caravan.

Yes, trucks were always drivers vehicle in the category of: what is more dynamic? Horse carriage or truck?

This is completely silly. Doesn't matter what trucks were in the past.

Have you driven a modern half ton and then jumped into a minivan? You don't buy a minivan because it's a great buy, you buy it because you a need way to stuff some snot nosed kids and cargo in a car and get from A to B.

Trucks have long past the days of working on a farmers field. These things rival luxury cars like Mercedes in their upper trims. Now stuff a v8 in it, just no comparison whatsoever to a minivan.

This is completely silly. Doesn't matter what trucks were in the past.

Have you driven a modern half ton and then jumped into a minivan? You don't buy a minivan because it's a great buy, you buy it because you a need way to stuff some snot nosed kids and cargo in a car and get from A to B.

Trucks have long past the days of working on a farmers field. These things rival luxury cars like Mercedes in their upper trims. Now stuff a v8 in it, just no comparison whatsoever to a minivan.

Sounds more like you're trying to sell it to yourself.

Nobody is trying to compare trucks to minivans, both are appliances that serve different purposes. Neither is some sort of driving experience pinnacle.

Nobody is trying to compare trucks to minivans, both are appliances that serve different purposes. Neither is some sort of driving experience pinnacle.
Yes and no. In a straight line acceleration an Ecoboost 3.5 (375 horsepower) the RAM HEMI (395 horsepower) or the GM 6.2 (420 horsepower) can be quite fun!

Here is the ironic part...neither of the minivans identified above were made by their respective brands. The Mercury Villager was a relabeled Nissan Quest and the VW Routan was a rebadged Dodge Caravan.

This is quite good. So the two respective brands are both out of the mini van market-and both were just relabeled. This (OP's) "friend" has a unique thought process.

You're the one (or eddyvw) who suggested guys buy trucks just due to how they look.

I'm not selling myself anything. I absolutely know for a fact that trucks are an amazing highway cruiser or commuter. I'll drive one over any car any day and double for a minivan.

Why not check out a Suburban or a Yukon? Took our family of 6 to destin this spring and no issues. Buy the way it had 218K when we let. Has the 5.3 and averaged 18mpg on the way there and back. That is where I would be looking.

Oh and I paid 3300 for the 2005 and did 1000 in getting it ready to go with all issues repaired and that included 2 new tires.

Why not check out a Suburban or a Yukon? Took our family of 6 to destin this spring and no issues. Buy the way it had 218K when we let. Has the 5.3 and averaged 18mpg on the way there and back. That is where I would be looking.
You are going to get mega miles for less than 10 grand in one of those.

They are not A GREAT CHOICE IF YOU ARE SO BUDGET MINDED YOU HAVE LESS THAN $10,000 TO SPEND. They get like what maybe 14mpg in the city?
No V8 vehicle is but if MPG is not a concern they are definitely worth a look. They aren’t any worse than the others in the same class.

Neither is some sort of driving experience pinnacle.
My wife's DT is the most comfortable long distance cruiser we've ever owned. The seats are fantastic, the ride is amazing, the powertrain is solid. It's a relaxing, quiet and astonishingly comfortable ride. Yes, the SRT is more nimble and more fun, but if you are driving for several hours or longer, objectively, the truck is the better choice.

So, it depends on what driving experience you are looking for.

My wife's DT is the most comfortable long distance cruiser we've ever owned. The seats are fantastic, the ride is amazing, the powertrain is solid. It's a relaxing, quiet and astonishingly comfortable ride. Yes, the SRT is more nimble and more fun, but if you are driving for several hours or longer, objectively, the truck is the better choice.

So, it depends on what driving experience you are looking for.
I'm not denying what some of the trucks have become. Across different trims, engines, final drive ratios, cabin size, suspension setups etc. they probably provide the most variety and driving experience in one segment in the industry today.

But my reply to @hemioiler was in regards to him viewing minivans as just pint A to B appliances, which they totally are, but seeing his choice of driving a truck as, and I quote "It just means I have a soul and enjoy driving."
I mean come on, that's just silly.

I'm not denying what some of the trucks have become. Across different trims, engines, final drive ratios, cabin size, suspension setups etc. they probably provide the most variety and driving experience in one segment in the industry today.

But my reply to @hemioiler was in regards to him viewing minivans as just pint A to B appliances, which they totally are, but seeing his choice of driving a truck as, and I quote "It just means I have a soul and enjoy driving."
I mean come on, that's just silly.

My truck tows, that was the main reason for getting it. Before that I had a Grand Cherokee. Before that I had a few cars. The "soul" bit was just a little hyperbole. I see now from your sig you're driving a caravan, didn't mean to set anything off and if I noticed sooner I probably wouldn't have said that, clearly we all have different wants and needs in our transportation.

But the truck is 10 times a better driving vehicle than a minivan. Not just in comfort. It has a smooth powerful v8 with lots of character, for a start. No it's not a porche, but it's definitely not just A to B transportation either.

So given my towing needs, a truck, a full size van, or a large SUV/suburban are basically the only real options for me. I think the vast majority of people would prefer to drive a truck over any van; because they drive nicer, have more room, have powerful v8s etc.

Can we move on now?

Yes and no. In a straight line acceleration an Ecoboost 3.5 (375 horsepower) the RAM HEMI (395 horsepower) or the GM 6.2 (420 horsepower) can be quite fun!
And totally wasteful. Not something that folks looking at 14yo, <$10k vehicles should be doing.

So given my towing needs, a truck, a full size van, or a large SUV/suburban are basically the only real options for me. I think the vast majority of people would prefer to drive a truck over any van; because they drive nicer, have more room, have powerful v8s etc.
Besides a suburban type vehicle, none of this is true.

Four door pickups have less space, require someone sitting in the front center if carrying more than five people (and who wants to sit in the little rear center seat in any vehicle?!?), and requires cargo in the bed. Full size vans just aren’t appointed anywhere near as nice as minivans.

I’m not against trucks, but the comparisons like this really aren’t right.

Suburban vs minivan Id agree. But the swing out doors are nowhere near as useful, especially for accessing the third row. And you can probably buy and drive two minivans for the same purchase and fuel bill as a suburban…

Last edited:
Back