Oil Filter That Hasn't Been Changed In 3 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter looks like it was filtering mud instead of oil. Is it possible that oil was even going through it? The base plate doesn't look like it's been upon an engine. It looks as if it were left out in the weather. I don't know..............

I think this video was posted several years ago. No one really believed it due to all the rust on the base plate. It probably set outside on the ground in the rain, notice all the water inside. No way all that rust happens if its attached to an engine, even if left on for years.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I think this video was posted several years ago. No one really believed it due to all the rust on the base plate. It probably set outside on the ground in the rain, notice all the water inside. No way all that rust happens if its attached to an engine, even if left on for years.

I seem to remember it too and similar reactions. 'If' legit, whatever's going on here is much more that just an oil filter not being changed for whatever alleged period of time. Big IF, IMO.

I've seen paper filters in service that long with no issues whatsoever.

Remember oil doesn't know time and won't just magically gel up like this.

Whatever that thing came off of was neglected.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Agree 100%; that filter was used, chucked into a pile of garbage somewhere and left to sit awhile.

I’ve had a Fram XG filter on my 94’ F150 5.0 for 4 yrs with Mobil 10w-40 HM with less than 50 miles on it (field truck) and it had hardly any gunk in it. This filter was used for filtering grease for biodiesel then left in a field over the winter!

I had a Mobil 1 oil filter on my dad's car for 5 years, but I did 3000 mile drain and refills.

That photo looks like that oil was never changed.

Don't know what happened to that filter.

I've run mine out to 4 years and never had anything that grotesque before. Typically I get a tiny bit of rust on the can and exposed baseplate, but the internals are totally fine.

That's one hot mess there!

looks like some nasty oil-water sludge emulsion
37.gif

Could exclusive short trips and no warm up for just 3 yrs cause it to be this bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back