Fram ultra quality control

What do you use to cut it open? I sold my oil filter cutter to someone on here years ago lol I can use my reciprocating saw

don’t cummins filters not spec a bypass valve? therefore all the oil HAS to go through the media?

What do you use to cut it open? I sold my oil filter cutter to someone on here years ago lol I can use my reciprocating saw
I've done that but there will be metal shavings in the filter by the time you're done. If you're not worried about that then go ahead but the cutter will allow you eliminate metal pieces when inspecting the media. I'd still recommend a cutter.

If no cutter available, simplest would be a hack saw. As louvers not possible shavings from cutting your main concern here, reciprocating saw could work too. Some have folded back the can with pliers and tin snips at base rolled seam.

Now that you've shown the louvers, I am curious to see what they look like with media removed. It will be more revealing.

@The motor guy another analogy, culvert water flow. Go up only a few inches (from 10 to 12) and the water flow increase is tremendous.

1706121227272.png

1706121287291.png
That's not a good analogy - not even close. Flow being forced through a flow path like an oil filter and engine oiling system by a PD oil pump doesn't behave anything like that example.

The flow through rhe system will not be effected until the flow resistance becomes so great that it causes the output pressure to increase to the point the pump hits pressure relief. An oil filter would have to be almost totally blocked to cause that to happen, and high RPM with cold oil combined with high restriction can make the pump hit pressure relief sooner.

And yes, having very closed down louvers don't help. A base plate would have to have very small and few holes to make any real big difference to the dP vs flow across the base plate.

Last edited:
The truck sure runs smoother with an oil filter that actually flows oil. Could be a placebo thing though

The point was the hole size and its capacity, take issue with the word "flow" if you like. Are you a scientist or something? :p
Oil flowing in an open conduit and oil flowing due to a PD oil pump which is forcing it through something are totally two different types of flow and have zero relevance to each other. Do you actually think the flow volume is reduced through the oil filter because the holes are a little smaller? Like said above, as long as the oil pump is not in pressure relief, the flow volume will not change, but the dP across the filter will. And that dP change is small and will not effect the pump output in normal use conditions. Do you understand how PD oil pumps work, and how they make an oiling system function?

Here's an analysis of an actual oil filter base plate with what I'd consider relatively "smallish" inlet holes. It shows the dP vs flow of cold and hot oil through the base plate. Even at 12 GPM with relatively cold oil (500 cSt), the dP is only 4 PSI. Just cruising around like a normal driver in a "grocery getter" with hot oil the dP is only going to be 1 PSI or less. There's no need to worry about "small looking" base plate holes. Now if louvers are all choked down, then yeah I'd probably be way more concerned about the resistance due to that. I've been saying for years to always inspect the louvers before installing a filter, and if they looked too choked down for your liking then don't buy or use it.

1706130287508.jpeg

That's the one where atleast half the louvers in the center tube are closed off. The one below it with only 6 holes in the base plate has nice opened up louvers.
Then use the one with the well opened louvers. The difference in the base plate holes is an non-issue as I explained above.

Oil flowing in an open conduit and oil flowing due to a PD oil pump which is forcing it through something are totally two different types of flow and have zero relevance to each other. Do you actually think the flow volume is reduced through the oil filter because the holes are a little smaller? Like said above, as long as the oil pump is not in pressure relief, the flow volume will not change, but the dP across the filter will. And that dP change is small and will not effect the pump output in normal use conditions. Do you understand how PD oil pumps work, and how they make an oiling system function?
Nope, Nope, and Nope. I was talking about culverts and hole capacity i'm pretty sure! You dont really want much filtration there except to keep timmy out or seaweed, but i wont claim to be an expert there either. OP probably would like more info on the loueveurs or however that is spelled. Were they blocked? Were they open? Who knows! Lots of red squiggles on my spell check there but I just "send it."

So does that mean it's just been bypassing the filter entirely?
No, because there is still some open flow area in the center tube, even with choked down louvers. That can create more dP across the filter and cause the filter bypass valve to open. But, it could have caused the filter to hit some bypass action with cold oil and/or higher engine RPM when the pump output is increased with RPM. It could also make the oil pump hit pressure relief sooner is the oil is cold and the engine revved up pretty high before the oil warms up some.

Nope, Nope, and Nope. I was talking about culverts i'm pretty sure! You dont really want much filtration there except to keep timmy out or seaweed, but i wont claim to be an expert there either. OP probably would like more info on the loueveurs or however that is spelled. Lots of red squiggles on my spell check there.
Yeah, you were trying to correlate flow in an open culvert to flow through an oil filter mounted on an engine. Like I said before, there is zero correlation.

Yeah, you were trying to correlate flow in an open culvert to flow through an oil filter mounted on an engine. Like I said before, there is zero correlation.
1706131915879.png

what do you have against culverts? They are cool. Engines are often boring.

The truck sure runs smoother with an oil filter that actually flows oil. Could be a placebo thing though
That last sentence shows you at least acknowledge it as a possibility. A good thing. Fwiw, the alternative is what's known as confirmation bias.

Still hoping to see pics of those louvers with media removed, 'at some point.'

You're missing the whole aspect of how oil flows through an oil filter as supplied by a positive displacement oil pump. The pump forces the oil through the system, and will just keep increasing the supply pressure to do so until the pump hits pressure relief. If the pump is not in pressure relief, there will be no decrease in flow volume through smaller holes, only the dP across the base plate will slightly increase. So there really isn't a "capacity" factor involved in this case.

Last edited:
I sold my oil filter cutter to someone on here years ago lol
Your BITOG card is revoked !! 😄 ;)

Back