EURO 0W40 Castrol & Pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weeks ago my local WM had some Pennzoil Platinum EURO 0W40 on clearance. I bought a 5 qt. container and a 1 qt. container for my trucks engine. That engine has never run as smooth and as quiet as it does now with this oil.
Yesterday I was getting medicine at the same WM. They made a special clearance section and it had a lot of misc. synthetic, and some conventional oil, on clearance. There was quite a bit of Castrol EURO Blend 0W40 oil. I had the funds to buy a 5 qt. and 1 qt. container.
I have a few Q?'s. Is the PP & Castrol oil made in Germany? Why is "THIS" oil making my engine run so quiet over any other oil I have ever used before? Why is WM selling it so cheap? I read that there will be a Super SN oil coming out next. Is that replacing this oil, or is this oil the Super SN?
Any information is greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Is the PP & Castrol oil made in Germany?
Look at the back label - it will tell you where it was made. The PP is definitely not made in Germany. The Castrol is made either in Belgium or Germany.

I was looking at the back of the Pennzoil Platinum EURO 0W-40 a little while ago. What caught my eye and interest was in the description on the back of the bottle, it said something about the basestocks having low friction benefits. This description and wording was on the EURO versions, not the regular Pennzoil Platinum ILSAC GF-5 grades.
So, I'm not surprised that the OP's engine is running quiet and smooth.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Is the PP & Castrol oil made in Germany?
Look at the back label - it will tell you where it was made. The PP is definitely not made in Germany. The Castrol is made either in Belgium or Germany.

All the Castrol Edge Euro oils I've seen lately are made in Mexico (black bottle).

It's quieter because it's probably thicker than what you were using. It also has more in the way of anti-wear additives compared to your typical 5W-30 GF-5/SN oil. They are both fantastic oils. The Pennzoil is GTL based and the Castrol is 25-50% PAO and the rest group III. I would give Castrol the advantage only because it carries LL-01 approval, while the Pennzoil does not.

They both routinely goes on sale. I doubt that Castrol at least is phasing out their 0W-40. It has to be one of their number one sellers. Very popular with all of the big 4 euro auto manufacturers.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am very happy to be using this oil. My engine running as quiet as it is makes me happy. To some, this might be trivial. To me, it means it should last longer. And if you say the Castrol is even better, I can't wait to try that oil!

Originally Posted By: Flying_A
All the Castrol Edge Euro oils I've seen lately are made in Mexico (black bottle).

Edge 0w-40 now made in Mexico? Interesting. Got a pic?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Flying_A

Edge 0w-40 now made in Mexico? Interesting. Got a pic?

Very suspicious and interesting. The 6 EDGE HM 10w40 bottles I have say this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back