Who out there has a new Honda 2.0 Turbo 4? Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2017 Regal GS 2.0T calls for 5w30.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Not sure what MM act has to do with viscosity. Nothing actually. You use a different viscosity, you can be out in the cold.

Off topic, but I think the fears in that regard are exaggerated. For instance, I find it pretty odd that Ford has approved lubes on its list for diesels (notably in the E version) in viscosities that have never appeared in a Ford diesel manual.

Exactly. Various grades can gain approval and are accepted as long as it is approved- but the problem with Honda is that there is no proprietary approval so quality level, grade and API/ILSAC/ACEA spec is all that can be asked of the customer from the OEM. Fall out of line and it could bite you. I think that what Pablo is saying.

Originally Posted By: Flying_A
Exactly. Various grades can gain approval and are accepted as long as it is approved- but the problem with Honda is that there is no proprietary approval so quality level, grade and API/ILSAC/ACEA spec is all that can be asked of the customer from the OEM. Fall out of line and it could bite you. I think that what Pablo is saying.

The wording is also important. I can't say I've read every Honda manual out there, but there are viscosity recommendations, and not requirements, in the ones I've read.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Flying_A

The wording is also important. I can't say I've read every Honda manual out there, but there are viscosity recommendations, and not requirements, in the ones I've read.

I had the required/recommended difference conversation with Honda Customer Service. The answer was there really is no difference. “Required” refers to those Honda lubricants that have no approved substitute, Honda’s CVT Fluid being one example. “Recommended” refers to products where there is a non-Honda substitute and is usually couched in terms where a Honda product AND a generic equivalent are noted as “Recommended”.

In short, Customer Service said directly that parsing of this language did not give owner’s license to use a different viscosity or an oil that wasn’t API certified. Wording aside, this makes sense: Honda certainly isn’t saying using 10w-60 motor oil in one it specs for 0w-20 is OK.

Knowing a little about how Honda operates I sure wouldn’t want to be in a situation where I had an engine failure and couldn’t absolutely demonstrate (receipts and oil in the sump)that I was using the “Recommended” viscosity. They aren’t customer-friendly folks and have lots more resources than any owner.

Last edited:
but the oil grade would have to be directly responsible for the failure claim..ain't happening, relax.

Originally Posted By: Danh
I had the required/recommended difference conversation with Honda Customer Service. The answer was there really is no difference. “Required” refers to those Honda lubricants that have no approved substitute, Honda’s CVT Fluid being one example. “Recommended” refers to products where there is a non-Honda substitute and is usually couched in terms where a Honda product AND a generic equivalent are noted as “Recommended”.

They do need to realize, though, that some of us aren't dummies. I don't know what would be an adequate replacement for a CVT fluid, or even Honda's PSF. However, running an A5/B5 5w-30 instead of a 0w-20 isn't going to cause any harm in the least. Then again, I haven't rushed out to buy a Honda.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
but the oil grade would have to be directly responsible for the failure claim..ain't happening, relax.

Theoretically true. It let’s say Honda decides to be difficult and trots out lawyers and engineers who say that isn’t the case? Even if they’re wrong they will exhaust our patience, courage and money. Now they probably wouldn’t do this, but Honda has pretty much mastered the deny and delay strategy over the last decade (transmissions, VCM, VCT actuators, oil consumption, etc.). And most recently, after first denying there was an issue with 1.5T fuel dilution in CRVs and Civics sold in China, then announcing a fix and now being forced to stop sales there as regulators deemed the proposed fix inadequate. Yup, you can trust this gang to do the right thing.

I had a brand new Accord next to me at a light yesterday. That thing was so quiet I couldn't hear it running.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I had a brand new Accord next to me at a light yesterday. That thing was so quiet I couldn't hear it running.

Start/Stop?

Break/break. WRT the original topic, Shawn Church (Church Automotive Testing -- aka Hondata.com -- for those who might not recognize the name) has recommended (for lack of a better term) running at least a 0W-30 weight synthetic (Castrol comes to mind) in Honda's new 2.0T if you are going to lean on it. I'd hunt around for an appropriate link, but it's too early in the A.M. and I'm at least two cups of coffee away from the task. See vtec.net for further info re Shawn's dyno tests of the 2.0T.

Definitely not start/stop. I could hear the injectors firing and had my windows down.

So quiet but you could hear the injectors,
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Definitely not start/stop. I could hear the injectors firing and had my windows down.

lol.gif

That's basically all you hear on new cars; injectors firing or cold exhaust manifold resonance.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007

Oil grade from the mfg. Is "only a recommendation" also states we recommend Honda oil" if they said you must absolutely use this oil,they would be required to pay for it under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act,

As another poster stated look to see what oil is being used in different countries I agree with him any turbo motor should run a 30 or 40 weight oil

You are changing the subject a bit, but recommending Honda oil is materially different than a physical viscosity range. Not sure what MM act has to do with viscosity. Nothing actually. You use a different viscosity, you can be out in the cold.

Not when euro runs a 0/40 in the same engine

If this is the case...it s no brainer.

I have the 2.0T Accord but haven’t decided weather to stay with the Honda 0w-20 to keep the “engine for life” warranty which at 36,000 miles you have to add BG oil additive to every oil change in order to continue engine for life deal. Have some time to think. More than likely I will buy a extended warranty or Honda care before that time then add which ever I do desire.
Who makes the 0w-20 oil for Honda?

Originally Posted By: Malo83

lol.gif

If an engine is so smooth that all you can hear is the pulse of the injectors,that a pretty precision engine. Unlike the noisy rattly clangy bangy sloppy ones.

Originally Posted By: Brolly
I have the 2.0T Accord but haven’t decided weather to stay with the Honda 0w-20 to keep the “engine for life” warranty which at 36,000 miles you have to add BG oil additive to every oil change in order to continue engine for life deal. Have some time to think. More than likely I will buy a extended warranty or Honda care before that time then add which ever I do desire.

Mobil I believe

Originally Posted By: Brolly

Phillipps 66 makes it. Mobil makes NA or Sodium levels spike on UOAs I've seen and Honda would never commission Mobil to form their OEM, not in a imllion years.. [censored], before CP/66, it was mighty Idemitsu who still makes OEM oil for Honda of Canada.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Originally Posted By: DirtyApe
I'm going with spec but just looking to see what's a good brand with the small turbo engine.

I got the honda 1.5 liter turbo and I use Honda full synthetic 0w-20 during my "extended break-in" and then I put in what I call the 'good stuff', none other than the mighty Idemitsu 0w-20 full synthetic. Keep in mind, the KV100 is in the mid 8 for 0w-20 oil and the HT/HS=2.6. You don't need more than that as it covers up to 5w-20. Now the 30 weights will net you KV100 in the 10 range and 2.9 HT/HS but this engine is speceed for 0w-20 so you have to give that weight. look at my signature, lighter works better and in addition, in an engine designed for it.

What is your 'extended' break-in? The Honda Full syn, do we know who bottles that? Not Castrol any longer.

Mine doesn't have S/S thank goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back