Who out there has a new Honda 2.0 Turbo 4? Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is roofless it's a brand new engine that calls for a 20 weight and you want to go and throw a 40 in there with those tight clearances, what for ? I can see maybe a 30 weight at most for the time being.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Thing is roofless it's a brand new engine that calls for a 20 weight and you want to go and throw a 40 in there with those tight clearances, what for ? I can see maybe a 30 weight at most for the time being.

"Tight clearances"

Ok.

For sure, I'd run an A3/B4 30. I think that'd be a fine choice.

Honda runs 5/30 in the Acura RDX turbo that requires the Honda HTO-06 SPEC, If you run 0-30, I would use GC, or Redline, acea spec is way better imho

What's the worldwide oil requirement for this engine? Let's look away from just the USA owners manual for a moment ...

Will this car get raced (even on the street), any track days?

1st OCI @ 4k was M1 5/30 second was Edge 0/40...get on the program prior to burning oil and lost performance...these engines do not struggle with the up graded protection and you'll require extra protection with all that's going on in your little rocket.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Phishin
TEOST test data would be my friend. If I remember right, Castrol Edge 5w30 was the best or right at the top.

But you should get confirmation on this.....

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

Who paid for this testing? Who owns this testing lab? Amsoil does,

You would be wrong - as is a LOT information in BITOG threads lately. No Amsoil does not own that lab.

A fellow was posting about his 2018 VW with Miller cycle 2.0T. Requires 0W-20. Recommended by BITOG? Majority were 0W-40, etc. Same people will tell you straight up a non-certified oil will violate warranty. No, but no doubt about it, incorrect viscosity oil will.

For this engine I recommend: Amsoil OEZ 0W-20

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If I had one I'd use 5w30 or 0w30
27.gif

And if I had a 2.0 turbo four and it calls for 0w-20, I would use 0w-20 and don't need to hide about it, 1 iota, whatsoever. The stuff doesn't burn but not sure if it is superior Honda engine design (or let's just say an improvement or an evolution) or if it just the better base stocks and additive formulation of the 0w-20s. Either way, plenty of choices out there to try to replicate the non-burning nature of 0w-20s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Phishin
TEOST test data would be my friend. If I remember right, Castrol Edge 5w30 was the best or right at the top.

But you should get confirmation on this.....

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

Who paid for this testing? Who owns this testing lab? Amsoil does,

You would be wrong - as is a LOT information in BITOG threads lately. No Amsoil does not own that lab.

A fellow was posting about his 2018 VW with Miller cycle 2.0T. Requires 0W-20. Recommended by BITOG? Majority were 0W-40, etc. Same people will tell you straight up a non-certified oil will violate warranty. No, but no doubt about it, incorrect viscosity oil will.

For this engine I recommend: Amsoil OEZ 0W-20

Oil grade from the mfg. Is "only a recommendation" also states we recommend Honda oil" if they said you must absolutely use this oil,they would be required to pay for it under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act,

As another poster stated look to see what oil is being used in different countries I agree with him any turbo motor should run a 30 or 40 weight oil

Oil grade from the mfg. Is "only a recommendation" also states we recommend Honda oil" if they said you must absolutely use this oil,they would be required to pay for it under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act,

As another poster stated look to see what oil is being used in different countries I agree with him any turbo motor should run a 30 or 40 weight oil

You are changing the subject a bit, but recommending Honda oil is materially different than a physical viscosity range. Not sure what MM act has to do with viscosity. Nothing actually. You use a different viscosity, you can be out in the cold.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Whatever you do DON'T put oh dubya forty like someone here suggested. Stick with the lighter stuff for a while at least maybe 10,000,then if you're up to it go a little heavier.0w40 ? C'mon roofless that's a new engine

Here's another debate,
Break in,best way the Dyno, why? When the Piston moves fast,the rings act like a fine file, if you go slow, it acts like a course file.

If an engine is going to come apart, it will within the first 100 miles, or as soon as you hit high rpms. Just like top fuel drag racing. If they come apart it's not at idle, it's at 10k rpm same with a Nascar engine, they are broken in on a dyno

What oil is the exact same engine spec'd for in Europe ?

If it is anything other than 0w20, you will know for certain that CAFE had heavy influence.

You are changing the subject a bit, but recommending Honda oil is materially different than a physical viscosity range. Not sure what MM act has to do with viscosity. Nothing actually. You use a different viscosity, you can be out in the cold.

Not when euro runs a 0/40 in the same engine

Originally Posted By: edyvw
If Honda recommends 0W20, get one that meets Mercedes Benz spefication MB 229.71.

I’d second this. MB specs are top notch.

Not sure what MM act has to do with viscosity. Nothing actually. You use a different viscosity, you can be out in the cold.

Off topic, but I think the fears in that regard are exaggerated. For instance, I find it pretty odd that Ford has approved lubes on its list for diesels (notably in the E version) in viscosities that have never appeared in a Ford diesel manual.

Like I said, it's only a recommendation, if you use a different grade, and they find out that a internal part failed, they would have to "prove" the part failed bc of the wrong grade. Now in the Acura RDX turbo, they recommend a 5/30,

Just like the air filter. Recommend use Honda in the manual, K&N clearly states you can use their product and not void warranty under MM, under MM states that if a mfg states you absolutely are required to use their spefic part, the mfg is required to provide it free of charge. They want you to use 0/20 but you don't have to, but is recommended under their advice to use it

Originally Posted By: Garak
Not sure what MM act has to do with viscosity. Nothing actually. You use a different viscosity, you can be out in the cold.

Off topic, but I think the fears in that regard are exaggerated. For instance, I find it pretty odd that Ford has approved lubes on its list for diesels (notably in the E version) in viscosities that have never appeared in a Ford diesel manual.

I agree. Lot's of folly in "lube recommendation" sections of owner's manuals. If a Hyundai (turbo) owner uses Quaker State (any type) as recommended in the book, they wouldn't be in-spec since QS doesn't have an ACEA A5 spec'd oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back