Let’s talk major kitchen appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our house we're building will have Whirlpool appliances, largely because that's what the builder uses. We'll see how they do. Had 4 year old Frigidaire appliances in our last house that were awful...DW only lasted 3 years, replaced it with a Bosch that we really liked.

The condo we're staying in has LG appliances...dutch door fridge with a door-mounted ice maker that makes minimal ice, and likes to clog in the chute. Glass top electric range is wonderful, heats quickly and evenly, nicely done. The DW is OK, but it's SLOW...almost 3 hours for a normal cycle.

Last edited:
My issue with LG is that they will not sell you parts ( at least that is the policy of LG Canada) but insist that a LG approved tech come and install the part. This applies to even relatively easy to service parts like a water inlet valve on a clothes washer, which I expect at least half of Bitogers would prefer to change out themselves. Fortunately the aftermarket has stepped up (companies like Supco) and often the parts supplied are the exact same as the original. Even the appliance parts stores do not have access to LG parts.

At least on LG appliances destined for North America, they source a lot of parts from American manufacturers. This is how the aftermarket is able to supply parts for LG appliances.

What's wrong with the existing appliances? Are the mainstream & easy to get parts for? I can see a dishwasher being something that can wear out, and a controller board expensive for anything else: but is this proactive replacement being done long before its really necessary?

Originally Posted By: supton
What's wrong with the existing appliances? ...

It is his HOME!.
So maybe he does not like 3 appliance colors?

Off topic but an interesting tid-bit.

I ask everyone whose LG appliances I repair - what does LG stand for? - and everyone replies - Life's Good. Wrong!

LG is Lucky Goldstar appliances and that is how they were known as when they first entered the North American market. They wanted to move upmarket into the luxury segment and realized North Americans would not associate the name Lucky Goldstar with luxury. The Life's Good ads are the end result of marketing consultants' recommendations.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I have talked to three repairman in the last year. All agree that new appliances are junk, regardless of manufacturer.

That!

I went ahead and bought the LG gas range, microwave, and dishwasher from Best Buy. I went kind of middle of the road as far as pricing and I feel like I got a good deal. Everything was on sale, I got a manufactures discount, plus Best Buy price matched with out me asking. The sales woman was super nice and seemed knowledgeable about what she was selling unlike the clueless person at Lowe's. I was right at $1600 out the door with an extended warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back