2018 Kia Optima SX 2.0 Turbo recommended oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apology if this has been covered recently...

I am seriously considering purchase of the above mentioned car, so being a BITOGer I naturally wanted to check on the recommended oil.
From Kia: API SM or above*3, ILSAC GF-4 or above*4, ACEA-A5 or above

Tried entering Make and model in Mobil 1's website:
'Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-30 or 5W-40 viscosity and oil that meets ACEA A5/B5. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications'.

It's the 'ACEA-A5 or above' that Mobil 1 doesn't meet. I haven't checked other oil brand's yet, but given Mobil's size in the market you would think that if they don't have it other oil companies won't yet either. Is this spec new, and what does it mean? Would my local Kia dealer even carry an oil that meets it? Have any other auto brands listed this spec?

Thank you for your input...

"Check out the Pennzoil site .... it shows Ultra & Platinum 5W30 meet the ACEA A5 spec."

Thanks, I checked their site. I've seen it on sale occasionally at Walmart, and it seems to be well regarded here at BITOG. Did some research on this spec, seems to do more with fuel economy than engine wear. Still surprised that Mobil 1 doesn't meet this spec..

M1 may very well meet it, and has in the past. Castrol dropped the spec for at least a time, too. There were so few vehicles in North America calling for A5/B5, it seemed the specs began to drop off a bit, and then with the revision to the B side, we saw some being dropped, too. Now, we see more vehicles calling for A5/B5, and the oil companies are reacting at the expected glacial pace.
wink.gif

What does Kia use as a service fill, Quaker State? QSUD is no longer technically A5/B5, either. Some of these manual recommendations are written in such a silly fashion. The notion of a 5w-40 in A5/B5, for instance, is pure baloney.

"Some of these manual recommendations are written in such a silly fashion."

Agreed.. The Kia manual shows viscosities up to 20w-50, but still with the 'ACEA-A5 or above' spec. An (admittedly) quick search didn't turn up any such oil...

Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synthetic show as meeting A5/B5 on their websites.

I would have zero issue using any top brand syn with d1G2 cert or a 5w40 A3/B4 euro oil.

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
Agreed.. The Kia manual shows viscosities up to 20w-50, but still with the 'ACEA-A5 or above' spec. An (admittedly) quick search didn't turn up any such oil...

And a long search won't help either; at least, if you find one, I'd advise against it.
wink.gif

Wemay's point is quite valid. If it's a dexos1 oil, it's probably going to be more than sufficient. GM should sponsor BITOG for all the dexos1 recommendations we pass out.
wink.gif

Look under the hood of your car. It probably says that Kia recommends Shell or Quaker State oil.

Quaker State's web site state that their synthetic oil meets your car's requirements.

However, I would consider using Mobil 1 European Car Formula.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I'll pass on a Hyundai/Kia. Not as well made as a Japanese car.

Once more from you with an irrelevant opinion. I thought you only bought American?

Anyway... OP, I've given up on trying to find an A5/B5 for my Volvo; I'm just going to use one of the multitude of A3/B4 0W-40 oils available.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I'll pass on a Hyundai/Kia. Not as well made as a Japanese car.

Based on what?

Here are the 5 year cost of ownership for 2012 cars:
- Hyundai Sonata $20,800
- Nissan Altima $22,800
- Toyota Camry $24,000
- Kia Optima $24,000
- Honda Accord $24,600
- VW Passat $25,100

Also, Hyundais and Kias typically have excellent crash test ratings.

MID SIZE cars:
Kia Optima made in U.S.; Camry made in U.S., Accord made in the U.S., Nissan made in U.S., Sonata made in the U.S, VW Passat made in the U.S.,

My 2014 Rogue made in Japan
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: knerml
Look under the hood of your car. It probably says that Kia recommends Shell or Quaker State oil.

Quaker State's web site state that their synthetic oil meets your car's requirements.

However, I would consider using Mobil 1 European Car Formula.

I think KIA recommends TOTAL brand oils but yes, Hyundai does have this recommendation for Quaker State underhood and in the Owner's Manual. Hyundai also recommends A5/B5 ("or above?") for it's turbo's since 2015-16. But Quaker State does not meet A5/B5. The oil brand they recommend doesn't meet the ACEA spec they... recommend.
crazy.gif

https://www.lubricants.total.com/business/agriculture-business/partnerships/kia-recommends-total

http://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/oil-sel...V9FRnQ4UG42Umc=

Ask the dealer what they use for an oil change and you will find out they don't really have or know or care about A5/B5...... Mobil 1 0w40 all day long for the turbo.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Ask the dealer what they use for an oil change and you will find out they don't really have or know or care about A5/B5......

100%

Ask the dealer what they use for an oil change and you will find out they don't really have or know or care about A5/B5......

Because its about the bottom line and your warranty will be up before your average car has a problem.

Last edited:
I looked up this engine on Amsoil website application guide and there was no listing yet for 2018 model, so then I looked up for a 2017 Sonata 2 Liter turbo and they only recommended their top tier Signature Series 5W-30, which says something to me about the demands this engine makes on the oil. Turbocharged with direct injection is apparently pretty tough on the oil.

Originally Posted By: wemay
100%
True, but wemay's comment above about Pennz Plat and Valvoline full-syn having A5/B5 is the best answer here, since they are A5/B5, checking that box, and they are very easy to find at walmart or autoparts stores. Sure in truth, dexos1 Gen2 should be what Kia/Hyundai requires for a turbo DI engine, but if you want warranty compliance IN FULL, its ez to just pick Plat/Synpower and thats it. Fram Ultra oil filter.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: wemay
100%
True, but wemay's comment above about Pennz Plat and Valvoline full-syn having A5/B5 is the best answer here, since they are A5/B5, checking that box, and they are very easy to find at walmart or autoparts stores. Sure in truth, dexos1 Gen2 should be what Kia/Hyundai requires for a turbo DI engine, but if you want warranty compliance IN FULL, its ez to just pick Plat/Synpower and thats it. Fram Ultra oil filter.
I suppose but after owning Hyundais since 2008 I can say their owner and service manuals are full of errors. And many engineering decisions seem to be made with throwing darts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back