Ethics of cobalt mining for electric cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
500 mile range,30 minute recharge,out performs diesel in economy and torque.

There's 2.4MW of charging right there.

I understand that utility sized batteries take two hours to cool down before you can load them after a charge...so really the "charge' would take 2.5 hours if they use their utility scale batteries (210KWh sub-units in Tesla's case).

Yes it would but the demand will never be there to replace gas engine en mass for personal transportation.

Yet it is being mandated in government "targets"
21.gif

Hence my posits here with regards to grid capacity and the like.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
7 nukes withing 150 miles of me. Plenty of power to go around. Much of it is exported out of state.

I have the world's largest nuclear facility (Bruce Nuclear, 8 reactors, 48TWh a year) about 3hrs from me, Darlington (24TWh) and Pickering (~20TWh) within less than an hour. That's a total of 18 nuclear reactors. They provide 60% of Ontario's power. There would still need to be massive upgrades, likely including the expansion of the 4-unit site and additional transmission infrastructure from the facility to all endpoints to enable capacity for the demand imposed by even moderate market penetration of EV's. At that point all the wind and solar in the entire province wouldn't even appear as a blip on the radar in terms of significant contributing capacity, 85% of which is presently met by Nuclear and Hydro-electric.

Imagine a ton of new LARGE transmission lines going everywhere! And I mean all over the place. Massive grid improvements and updates would be required. I don't think anyone has compared electrical delivery systems to regular gas and diesel systems. The whole electric vehicle thing is full of expensive details that the average guy will have to pony up massive tax increases to pay for...

They just ran a 30" pipeline close to me with a huge new tank farm it feeds. I don't remember seeing this on my tax bill. Nor do I see the massive expansion of the BP refinery in Whiting IN to use the tar sand oil from Canada.

Yeah, all those oil company subsidies are created out of thin air I guess. The simple facts are that the industry cannot afford to make the improvements.

Guess who pays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back