Castrol GTX Ultraclean VOA looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Researcher has done some VOA's for us

Here is the regular GTX 5W20
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4483036/

Here is the UltraClean GTX 5W30
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4507347/

They both look like good oils to me. Decent low Noack for a conventional oil (which are all probably a minor semi-synthetics now days). Plus a nice add pack, in round figures it looks roughly like almost 100ppm Moly and 200ppm Boron (rounding up).

Regular Ca detergent package, so maybe not first pick for DI with LSPI issues, but a good TBN of just over 8.

It's the Noack volatility that impressed me most, as I've seen some 5W30 oils sail very close to the upper API SN limit of 15%, while the GTX is showing under 13% which would meet the higher quality requirements of Dexos or ACEA.

Originally Posted By: SR5

They both look like good oils to me. Decent low Noack for a conventional oil (which are all probably a minor semi-synthetics now days). Plus a nice add pack, in round figures it looks roughly like almost 100ppm Moly and 200ppm Boron (rounding up).

Regular Ca detergent package, so maybe not first pick for DI with LSPI issues, but a good TBN of just over 8.

It's the Noack volatility that impressed me most, as I've seen some 5W30 oils sail very close to the upper API SN limit of 15%, while the GTX is showing under 13% which would meet the higher quality requirements of Dexos or ACEA.

I'm with you on every point and thanks for the links. This oil would be fine for DI, just not Turbo-DI.
wink.gif

Why not turbo engines since 99.999% of the semis and off road equipment run with a gpII "+" base oil and they all have turbos?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why not turbo engines since 99.999% of the semis and off road equipment run with a gpII "+" base oil and they all have turbos?

OK, more specifically small displacement Turbo Gasoline Direct Injection. Im sure you've seen the threads with various studies performed by multiple industry leaders associating Ca levels with LSPI in random T-GDI applications. And now the subsequent formulation tweaks by the motor oil industry to meet a spec geared towards reducing this phenomenon (dexos1 Gen2), showing significant reductions of said Ca. I'm sure the occurrence of LSPI failures is a small %, but the numbers are enough to have the industry take note. I've used everything in the 2.0T-GDi in my sig, even Conventional Oils without missing a beat. But having read so much about this issue has allowed me to make a more educated choice. Not that Conventional is less adequate at maintaining a turbocharged platform not known to be affected by LSPI.

HEY!! Did someone mention my name?!
grin.gif
Yup I did post those VOA's up.

And I've been using the GTX 5w-20 in my 96 Civic, about to send it in for a mid-term UOA. Now it's not the Ultraclean, I got the last of the conventional. But look at the reports, they're almost identical between syn and conventional! I've not noticed anything odd with this oil, starts up well, no odd engine noises, just works. What good oil is supposed to do. I do remember that my generation civic liked Moly, and the TGMO I was using had none. I'm interested to see what the UOA will show when I get it back from the lab. Then a good comparison can really be made.

I couldn't find the GTX Ultraclean in any of the stores except for NAPA. The rest were trying to get rid of the older conventional. Just in case people are trying to find it out there.

I also agree in the NOACK, it's always lower than the rest of the pack, which is good. Some will discount NOACK but I've seen it myself, the higher ones do burn off and it doesn't take the extreme testing temps to do it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: wemay
My brother wants it fot his Toyota. Lol

You're off the hook!
smile.gif

Or, i can mix the 5W20 with 5W30 Synpower
smile.gif
. Oh wait! that's another thread.
wink.gif

According to the Castrol spec sheet GTX 5W30 UltraClean has a Noack volatility of 12.7% and a TBN of 8.26 from Researcher's VOA, plus the good Moly and Boron levels.

For comparison, looks at this PQIA VOA of Lucas 5W30 Full Synthetic here.
It gives a TBN of 7.6 and a Noack of 14.9% with no Moly and no Boron. Sure I'm no Lucas fan, and good name brand synthetics like M1 and Edge do much better, but it just goes to suggest how well this "base level" product from Castrol is formulated.

The regular GTX 5W20 looks great too, from PQIA we get a TBN of 8.68 with a Noack of 11.6% plus a KV100 viscosity of 9.2 cSt. This is very close to the J300 limit of 9.3 cSt for a 30 grade oil. So if you want a thick for grade 5W20 with low volatility and lots of Moly & Boron, then GTX is a good oil to consider if mineral oils are on your radar.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Castrol told me GTX Ultraclean is actually a synthetic blend, and therefore a different product from regular GTX.

I guess that could be. But since "GTX Ultraclean" became available, "GTX" has disappeared off the shelves around here. Leading me to believe Ultraclean is the replacement.

Yes, it is the replacement. But it's not something they'd throw into bottles with the old product labeled.

(one would hope, anyway)

I stand corrected, regular GTX is still available in 10W-30+ viscosity.

According to the Castrol spec sheet GTX 5W30 UltraClean has a Noack volatility of 12.7% and a TBN of 8.26 from Researcher's VOA, plus the good Moly and Boron levels.

For comparison, looks at this PQIA VOA of Lucas 5W30 Full Synthetic here.
It gives a TBN of 7.6 and a Noack of 14.9% with no Moly and no Boron. Sure I'm no Lucas fan, and good name brand synthetics like M1 and Edge do much better, but it just goes to suggest how well this "base level" product from Castrol is formulated.

The regular GTX 5W20 looks great too, from PQIA we get a TBN of 8.68 with a Noack of 11.6% plus a KV100 viscosity of 9.2 cSt. This is very close to the J300 limit of 9.3 cSt for a 30 grade oil. So if you want a thick for grade 5W20 with low volatility and lots of Moly & Boron, then GTX is a good oil to consider if mineral oils are on your radar.

Absolutely, this and PZNL Gold (dex1Gen2) show very nice specs indeed.

Nice !! A Noack of 10%

We get GTX 10W30 UltraClean here in Oz, it's also a SN & GF-5 semi-synthetic, so I would expect a similar low volatility.

It's a more recent product here, so I have yet to see it on sale. The full synthetic Magnatec 5W30 (SN & A3/B4 in Oz) is often on sale, and so costs me less. Hence I have yet to purchase the new GTX 10W30, but I do have some Magnatec 5W30 in my oil stash.

All good choices as far as I'm concerned. Castrol has definitely stepped up their game.

That's what caused me to try Castrol, for awhile there they weren't that impressive (to me anyway). But I'll have to see after the UOA what they're like. Or how they held up.

But I do agree that it does look like they've stepped up their game!

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back