Does fuel injector cleaner really do anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use much for CVX products as my lubes are mostly Mobil or Shell - but Techron is one of the most rebadged fuel system cleaners in the automotive and marine industries - as in the OEM's re bottle this well R&D'd product...
If you prefer Cousin Joe's brand or nothing - good for you Breaux ...

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Waste of money imo. Injectors are self-cleaning. Just use top tier fuel from a high volume station and you're good to go.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Read this from a man who's owned his own shop since 1974 and studied quality management under W. Edwards Deming. I'll take his advice thank you.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/165

So, what does Quality Management have to do with knowledge of fuel system cleaners and quality management of what goes into the fuel tankers? TQM was a fad because most managers did not want to empower their employees with decision making, as they felt they "lost control" over the employees, ie no longer require managers to make decisions.

What is up with this Berrymans added into the fuel system here lately. Most I have seen posts consistently since I have joined 5 years ago??? Seems daily its brought up anymore?? Personally -- im pleased with Techron & Regane High Milage or Regane All in One.

I used it last to help finish cleaning up my lawn mower fuel system and figured the rest would do some good in my new old car. The purchase was due to Trav's endorsement.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
What is up with this Berrymans added into the fuel system here lately. Most I have seen posts consistently since I have joined 5 years ago??? Seems daily its brought up anymore?? Personally -- im pleased with Techron & Regane High Milage or Regane All in One.

I was getting some bad pinging in the Matrix. Per Trav's recommendation I went with one dose of Gumout Regane High Mileage then followed with a dose of B12 Chemtool. Which did a great job of getting rid of the pinging. He also suggested Techron but WM was out of it. The other Regane products were recommended as well. A good 1 two punch.

I have alway used top tier when I have the option, but on a few occasions have used what was available. Most of the time I look for top tier fuel even if it is a few cents more. That link about do not pump when they dump is true. My dad (long deceased) always advised us to never fill up when the tanker truck is dumping fuel in the tanks because of all the sediment and debris that get pushed up into the fuel. One morning about 5-6 years ago I was filling up the 2009 Sonata at a Shell in Lincoln and tanker truck was there, It was early in the morning and I was tired just wanted a cup of coffee and to fuel up and didnt feel like driving to another station, so against my better judgement and common sense, I filled up anyway and the next day the engine started hard, and ran poorly, ended up taking into shop and fuel filter was clogged with junk and debris. Cost me about $350.00 since fuel filter is in gas tank on that vehicle. that was last time I ever did that. Dad was right. The mr. mechanic show on KFAB 1110AM Omaha has advised that cars do better on top tier and that that top tier already has all the detergents that a fuel system would ever need. additive do one thing and that is they are add to the profit of part stores and they lighten wallets.

Top tier fuel may have enough additive to keep new injectors clean but from what I see do not do have much of a cleaning effect on already dirty injectors.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
additive do one thing and that is they are add to the profit of part stores and they lighten wallets.

Statements like this paint the subject with too broad a brush to be of any value.

Top tier fuel may have enough additive to keep new injectors clean but from what I see do not do have much of a cleaning effect on already dirty injectors.

additive do one thing and that is they are add to the profit of part stores and they lighten wallets.

Statements like this paint the subject with too broad a brush to be of any value.

Wasn't that one thing TT was specified to do? (prevent new deposits as well as clean existing deposits) [I have not researched it yet]

Then those who wish to buy and use additives can spend away and use all they want, no one is stopping them. I only shared my experience with bad fuel nothing more. Other than getting my fuel pump clogged by filling up when the Tanker was unloading, I have had zero issues with fuel system on any vehicles by using top tier fuel, though on a few occasions I have used non top tier fuel.

The popular Techron is what they use at Chevron/Texaco TT fuel pumps
It is also rebadged by the outboard motor industry ...
Based on comments from a retired chemist from the fuel industry - I run a tank of Chevron with an extra shot (from stash I build on sale) as alternative chemistry to the Exxon & Shell I run 90% of the time (with the JV I wonder how much are the same adds)
I can't prove it's doing anything - but some could even say that about TT gasoline

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Wasn't that one thing TT was specified to do? (prevent new deposits as well as clean existing deposits) [I have not researched it yet]

The amount of additives in Top Tier varies greatly and I see no real world evidence that it cleans already very dirty parts or injectors. Let me throw this out and you can draw your own conclusions.

Some car fuel sending units were badly effected with ethanol laced fuels (GM had a TSB for it) the repair was to run a bottle or two of Techron (GM brand) before replacing the sending unit, it quite often worked.
Go ahead a few year when more PEA cleaners hit the market, some aging vehicles were also being hit by this same issue, running them on TT even the best of them would not cure the issue but a couple of bottles of Techron, Redline Gumout or other high percentage PEA cleaners would. TT would however keep the issue from reoccurring without additional treatments.

Mobil has been advertising cleaning additives in their fuel since I was a kid but despite that systems still got dirty albeit at possibly a slower rate.
No doubt TT will help keep a new system is great condition and clean but don't expect it to do the same job in an older or dirty system.
With DI it and all the additives are basically worthless, I have 10 Audi V10 DI units here that are really hosed, all the filter baskets are non existent all that's left of the filter is the brass ring the plastic part has been burnt to a cinder and gone through the injectors clogging them. No cleaner in the tank or induced through the rail in the world is cleaning these.
High pressure back flush with powerful sweep ultrasonic (not the small ASNU tank incorporated in the machine) does the job but even that took a while, they did all come back to life. This car ran of TT since the day it was bought.

The other issue that effect fuel systems is varnish, its a bugger to remove and more common than you would think. TT does help keep it in check but once formed PEA cleaners or TT are less effective at removing it than something like Berrymans Chem Tool.
Injectors that have been sitting a long time get it in the injectors, the small amount of fuel left in them goes stale quickly making them harder to clean, on these I trigger the injectors and with an eye dropper put some Chem tool in them and let them site overnight. It really softens the varnish making it much easier for the ultrasonic to remove quickly.

All my OPE engines are 10+ yrs old, before using it I put a good splash in the tank (I don't bother measuring it) and do the same thing before storing it with sta-bil. No carb has been apart and the engines have never had a fuel or running issue. Put a splash in an OPE engine that previously ran great but now runs poorly after storage and most of the time it will clean up within 20 min on this product. At less than $5 its a great product that works.
I put a can in the car engine every 6 months, it works really well for varnish but does not work as well as PEA on harder deposits.

All my OPE engines are 10+ yrs old, before using it I put a good splash in the tank (I don't bother measuring it) and do the same thing before storing it with sta-bil. No carb has been apart and the engines have never had a fuel or running issue. Put a splash in an OPE engine that previously ran great but now runs poorly after storage and most of the time it will clean up within 20 min on this product. At less than $5 its a great product that works.
I put a can in the car engine every 6 months, it works really well for varnish but does not work as well as PEA on harder deposits.

I pretty much do the same thing with OPE, and I believe it helps, a lot. I base this on the amount of problems my neighbors have with their newer OPE, that are just filled with gas and used. I'm always fixing one of their machines.

I'm wondering if a two part approach will help keep car injectors clean. A few tanks of gas before an oil change add a bottle of Berryman's Chem Tool fill the tank, and run the tank down, refill drive another tankful w/o an additive, then add Techron and fill it just before changing the oil. Run it down and re-fuel then at some point change the oil. Not very complicated for an enthusiast, and it might help.

I usually use Redline SI-1 or the Techron 32oz bottle when its on sale at NAPA for one full tank then withing the next tank or two throw a can of Berrymans in another full tank. I never have any problems, I don't think it works I can prove it.
My lawn mower is an elcheapo from Walmart that cost $98 12 yrs ago, it gets 18oz of Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40 every 2 yrs depending on what I have left over, a splash of Berrymans every spring and fall with blue Sta-bil for storage. It has never run rough and never needed any repairs other than a new blade and a platinum plug, it runs smooth as silk.

yes I am, its a good solvent for varnish and I see enough injectors and old carbs every week to know it can be an real issue. Its cheap and harmless when used as directed and it works whats not to like.

yes I am, its a good solvent for varnish and I see enough injectors and old carbs every week to know it can be an real issue. Its cheap and harmless when used as directed and it works whats not to like.

There are several Berryman Chemtool products. Which is it you use?

Berryman® B-12 Chemtool® Carburetor, Fuel System and Injector Cleaner
Berryman® B-12 Chemtool® Total Fuel System Clean-Up
Berryman® B-12 Chemtool® High MileEdge Fuel System Cleaning Concentrate
Berryman® B-12 Motor Tune Up for Gas and Diesel
Berryman® B-12 Chemtool® Injector Cleaner Fuel Treatment
Berryman® B-12 Chemtool® Super Concentrated Intake Valve & Injector Cleaner

I agree with the B12 recommendations I have been using it for years. I laugh when people tell me the bought some SeaFoam, I tell them they should have bought Berrymans for half the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back