Do diesel fuel system cleaners work? If so, what makes one the best?

Hi All,

When I was researching diesel fuel system cleaning a thought occured to me. What makes a good diesel system cleaner? Everyone seems to be of the understanding that in a petrol cleaner, PEA is king. The more the better from what I can see online.

However in diesel system cleaners I can't find a similar agreement on an ingredient that is just known to actually work.

One thing I notice in a lot of them is 2-EHN (Cetane booster) and I am begining to wonder whether these cleaners don't actually do much other than "boost" the cetane for the period that they're in the tank. Whether that then has any lasting effect (From a tank of cleaner burning fuel) or whether it's a placebo who knows?

What are people's thoughts on this? Does anyone have any links to genuine tests where a diesel vehicle has seen a marked improvement from one of these cleaners (Not just while it's in the tank and actively burning it, but afterwards as well).

Cheers!

It's difficult as i tried to search this about a year ago and going though product sheets like amsoil they give no specifics, it's all just trade secret formulations. Hopefully someone who knows can chime in.

@MolaKule do you have anything to share about diesel cleaner formulations?

Take a look at this thread:

Owned diesels since 1994, never felt the need for a fuel cleaner.
Modern common rail fuel injection systems are a completely difference beast than previous mechanical injection pump systems. I grew up on mechanical pump systems and nobody ever heard of injection system cleaning additives. I am convinced through my experience with several common rail systems, that using an injector cleaner additive is essential to good injector performance.

I have no data from studies of anything like that but I do have some first hand knowledge. I worked a job where one of the perks was free diesel. For that reason we all drove 3/4 and 1 ton diesel trucks. The tanks the fuel was stored in wasn't the cleanest so I always used a healthy dose of Power service additive and I never had any issues ever in ~500,000 miles over 3 trucks. However 99% of the other didn't use any and most of them had issues with poor performance and rough idle.

I also swapped my filters often, I figured since I got so much fuel for free the cost of filters and additive was insignificant.

Hi All,

When I was researching diesel fuel system cleaning a thought occured to me. What makes a good diesel system cleaner? Everyone seems to be of the understanding that in a petrol cleaner, PEA is king. The more the better from what I can see online.

However in diesel system cleaners I can't find a similar agreement on an ingredient that is just known to actually work.

One thing I notice in a lot of them is 2-EHN (Cetane booster) and I am begining to wonder whether these cleaners don't actually do much other than "boost" the cetane for the period that they're in the tank. Whether that then has any lasting effect (From a tank of cleaner burning fuel) or whether it's a placebo who knows?

What are people's thoughts on this? Does anyone have any links to genuine tests where a diesel vehicle has seen a marked improvement from one of these cleaners (Not just while it's in the tank and actively burning it, but afterwards as well).

Cheers!
Hello,

There are obviously a lot of options on the market. I sell fuel additives for a company but won't mention who for the sake of the conversation. HPCR systems are much more susceptible to carbonaceous (external) and carboxylate (internal), making an additive package that can properly clean those deposits much more important. To your point with genuine tests, there are specifications for detergent cleaning power. A majority of products on the shelves provide no detergent cleaning specifications. If you want to find a decent shelf product, you are looking for a product that surpasses these specifications. Preferably #3, #4, and #5.

Ranked in lowest to highest quality:
1) L-10
2) XUD-9
3) DW10B
4) DW10C
5) Heavy Duty IDID

I can help more if you'd like but there is a good starting point.

Hello,

There are obviously a lot of options on the market. I sell fuel additives for a company but won't mention who for the sake of the conversation. HPCR systems are much more susceptible to carbonaceous (external) and carboxylate (internal), making an additive package that can properly clean those deposits much more important. To your point with genuine tests, there are specifications for detergent cleaning power. A majority of products on the shelves provide no detergent cleaning specifications. If you want to find a decent shelf product, you are looking for a product that surpasses these specifications. Preferably #3, #4, and #5.

1) L-10
2) XUD-9
3) DW10B
4) DW10C
5) Heavy Duty IDID

Thank you for the info! I will have a look for products that have been through those test procedures!

Hello,

1) L-10
2) XUD-9
3) DW10B
4) DW10C
5) Heavy Duty IDID

It seems as though Lubrizol has this all covered.

(Interesting doc about their testing) - https://www.lubrizol.com/-/media/Lu...ynamometer-and-Vehicle-Engine-Performance.pdf

However I can't find anywhere that sells it. Specially not in the UK!

personally, I am an occasional user of Power Service... I don't know if it accomplishes anything or not..

I have tendency to believe that since most diesel engine manufacturers state you don't need fuel additives and that the engine was designed to use diesel fuel, you probably dont need to use an additive.
the caveat with that is most engine manufacturers will state that if you have a specific fuel problem some additives may help..

a problem like algae in the fuel necessitates a biocide..
or a tank cleaning agent if you have a slime problem..

there is no proof any of the fuel system additives that are commonly marketed actually accomplish anything besides make their operator feel better about life but people still use them..

Since most of the system additives have anti-gel, water dispersant, lubricity enhancers, biocides etc. It is probably prudent to use someones product even without cetane/performance/mpg improvement claims. PS/Howes/Stanadyne have been around forever. There are some new and popular players nowadays, optilube and Hot Shots come to mind. I have been on many local roads-interstates during cold snaps and see hundreds of rigs broke down with gelled fuel. Ounce of prevention and all that.

From Ford:

Cetane Booster & Performance Improver​

• Boosts power
  • Improves starting ability
  • Smoothes engine operation
  • Reduces 6.4L DPF Regeneration
  • Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) compliant
  • Adds lubricity to fuel for reduced engine wear

• https://www.powerstrokediesel.com/fueladditives
    fluids-fuelAdditives-cetane.jpg

hey GON... those products all claim they add lubricity...

but the generally are used at a dosage rate of about point 3 ounces per gallon,
so I've wondered how much lubricity you can actually get at a dosage rate like that.

hey GON... those products all claim they add lubricity...

but the generally are used at a dosage rate of about point 3 ounces per gallon,
so I've wondered how much lubricity you can actually get at a dosage rate like that.
Beats me. I was at a local Ford dealer, and saw this stuff on display at the parts counter. I was caught by surprise, as others have posted- didn't know FoMoCo suggested a supplement to diesel fuels.

Big discussion if the stuff truly makes a difference. But at $10k USD plus to fix a failed modern diesel fuel system, people are buying the stuff as a insurance policy- but is it hocus pocus or a true mitigator against diesel fuel issues is the real question....

Beats me. I was at a local Ford dealer, and saw this stuff on display at the parts counter. I was caught by surprise, as others have posted- didn't know FoMoCo suggested a supplement to diesel fuels.

Big discussion if the stuff truly makes a difference. But at $10k USD plus to fix a failed modern diesel fuel system, people are buying the stuff as a insurance policy- but is it hocus pocus or a true mitigator against diesel fuel issues is the real question....

profit motive and lack of knowledge on the driving public's end of things combine to create a market for this sort of thing in a similar manner to the ability of some of these small time lubricant manufacturers to get top dollar for lubricants.

Marketing 101, create a need and then sell the cure for that need.

So, an interesting topic I found on another forum that I thought I'd share in here. The person has been having very frequent DPF regenerations due to his mostly short trips from what I can tell. He has used an OBD reader to track the last 35 DPF regenerations and the millage in between them.

He recently used "Wynns Diesel Power 7" which is the 3rd arrow on the chart. Interestingly there does seem to be an improvement in distance between regenerations which I could only assume is due to improved combustion / decreased soot production? The Wynns stuff he used was a full litre, cost around £50 (which is very high for an additive), but was only used over one tank meaning a very high concentration compared to a lot of other additives.

It's interesting to see the average move up so noticeably, specially considering that these last few weeks have actually been quite a bit colder which I'd think would lead to worse conditions for a DPF? (Cold starts, cooler DPF temps etc).

*Ignore the section about the Wynns turbo cleaner and DPF cleaner in the first sentence, this was talking about someone elses car*

1697746926379.png

In my diesel I average around 600 or so miles between DPF regenerations due to the extremely relaxed driving style and idea route that I drive to and from work on. It'd be interesting to see if this increased that millage average.

Here is a link to their website for the product if you fancy a read, there is an MSDS and TDS on there too. - https://www.wynns.eu/product/diesel-power-7-2/

I’ve tested Diesel Fuel Cleaners.
For PEA additives:

BG 245 and Texaco Techron are the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back