FULL synthetic or blend for my 2017 Elantra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a new 2017 Hyundai ELantra SE Value Edition, currently with 1600 miles. I am thinking of dumping the factory fill a bit early around 2000 miles. Would this new Atkinson engine really benefit from a full 5W-20 synthetic like PP, or just use a top quality 5W-20 synthetic blend?? I plan to keep this car VERY long term. I paid for the car in full at time of sale.

Thanks
Mike in NJ

Last edited:
Yep-I wonder what Pennzoil pays Hyundai for the mention in the owners manual and the sticker under the hood that say to use their products?

Probably won't matter either way.
Were it mine, it would get a full syn, but I chase deals and pay less than two bucks a quart for a synthetic, typically M1 or PP.

Personally, I would run full synthetic that meets the manufacturer recommendations. Any major brand will do the job. Buy your oil on sale instead of right before you need it.

Run what makes you sleep better at night, and meets the necessary specs. I'm assuming you have a warranty to maintain, so no need to stray too far off the path they have set.

Hyundai and Shell are in the third year of their partnership. Whatever the name of Hyundai's express service at their dealerships use Quaker State.

Originally Posted By: flinter
NO! NOT Pennzoil, Hyundai recommends Quaker State.

SOPUS (Shell Oil Products United States) is the parent company to Shell, Quaker State and Pennzoil, with QS considered an offshoot of Pennzoil.

And it is a payoff for Pennzoil/Quaker State/SOPUS to pay Hyundai to recommend their oils, nothing special about them in a Hyundai engine vs any other oil.
It has been a long standing relationship, I know my '04 Elantra recommended QS oil.
Same as how Chevy recommends Mobil 1 in the Corvette, but does not require it.

As for what to use, that is a personal choice, and should be based on driving conditions, climate, oil change interval and other factors.
If under warranty (and worried about it), stick with whatever the recommended grade is and follow the recommended OCI.
Pretty much any name brand conventional is easily good for 5000-7000 miles for most driving conditions.

If your intention is to keep the car a long time then I think you already answered your own question whether it's a lower compression Atkinson-cycle car or something that runs hotter. Full synthetic. If your manual recommendations are 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30 like most Hyundais, then personally I'd pick PP or QSUD in whatever grade you're comfortable with...both of those seem to work well in my Hyundai.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
If your intention is to keep the car a long time then I think you already answered your own question whether it's a lower compression Atkinson-cycle car or something that runs hotter. Full synthetic. If your manual recommendations are 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30 like most Hyundais, then personally I'd pick PP or QSUD in whatever grade you're comfortable with...both of those seem to work well in my Hyundai.

+1 Catch it on sale and rest assured your engine is just fine

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Same stuff..........

On my Hyundai under the hood my sticker has both brands. Pennzoil and QS.

I service a 2016 Kia Soul for a friend who uses it for daily driver duty as well as being an Uber driver. He puts on about 2500 miles per month combined between the two uses.

We have been using OE filters and 10w30 conventional oil so far. Latest fill was Peak Conventional 10w30 that I got for 50 cents per quart at NAPA on closeout. The car runs exceptionally well on it. I can't see any benefit to using an expensive premium oil in a cheap car when the engine will outlast the rest of the car with any SN oil changed at a reasonable interval.

That being said not everyone has a huge stash of cheap clearance oil like I do. So I'd run whatever makes you feel good. If that's synthetic then great! But I certainly see no need to run a fancy or boutique oil. Run whatever synthetic has a rebate or can be bought for the best price.

SOPUS (Shell) owns both companies, very similar products for the most part. I would use Pennzoil Platinum and sleep easy.

Depends on if you'll go by the OLM. If you'll determine the oil change intervals, go synthetic. I was going to go synthetic for my Cherokee when I got it, but the OLM maxes my driving out at 4-5k miles, so I figured I'd stick with conventional. Could go synthetic but then I'd likely defy the OLM and that wouldn't look good for warranty.

I would personally follow the manual recommendations. I don't personally feel qualified to question the engineers that designed the vehicle!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I would use Pennzoil Platinum and sleep easy.

Same here. Synthetics have gotten really cheap (or maybe dinos have gotten really expensive :p) so that should make the decision easy. Use PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back