liquimoly and lucas etc for oil consumption?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of the above work better then the other and or what others do u guys recommend. I burned a lot of oil between oil changes no doesn't smoke out the back of the car but just trying to slow down consumption abit

Though Lucas will reduce your add pack and your cat will not be poisoned as much I say bump up the grade and leave snake oils behind.
What's a lot of oil, did you try to determine the cause.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Though Lucas will reduce your add pack and your cat will not be poisoned as much I say bump up the grade and leave snake oils behind.

lucas is safer? why? what u mean bump up the grade?
I burn 3 qts , car takes 6qts every 3300 miles. I added a catch can. Car has internal pcv system not a pcv valve. I assume its piston rings.....

Up the viscosity sticking with engine oil and start looking for the problem(s) and start to consider a solution. Try the miracle in a bottle if you must. Sometimes you can put off the problem for a little while but beware of "engine honey" products. Like Dyusik points out in his previous post, it can reduce the effectiveness of your current engine oil and that's no way to fix anything.

Start with the easy stuff like the PCV and leaks. Then it's on to checking the valve seals, intake manifold leaks, head gasket leaks and the oil control rings. Once you have some information you can consider a solution. Live with it, fix it or sell it. It's usually better to know before you decide. Just remember, free advice like mine if worth what you paid. If you need help talk with your friends but pay more attention to a mechanic that will charge you for his work.

car calls for 5w30// move up to 5w40 ??? 10w40 will be hard for winter months??
even lucas will be hard on the cat?

Originally Posted By: wantboost

No Lucas won't be hard on cat but it's not the best choice.

Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 is excellent and good down to around 0F

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Liqui moly motor oil saver is worth a try it helped me some

Me, too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What is the car in question?

+1 and what's the maintenance history? I Has the PCV system been maintained or is the vehicle a known oil burner.

I used Liqui Moly motor oil saver before to stop a small leak on my Sienna and Civic. Seemed to work.

Last edited:
I was burning one quart per 700 highway miles on 5w30 0w40 etc
10W30 cured my ford at roughly 180k miles!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

No Lucas won't be hard on cat but it's not the best choice.

Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 is excellent and good down to around 0F

ive tried liquimoly and maxlife 5w30, I guess I ll try 5w40 or 10w40 maxlife. slowed down slightly but not a lot.
so whats the best choice to try that's ok on the cat?
its a 2005 cts 3.6 had it for 7 years. ive done oil changes every 3000miles approx

Sound like a trade in time to a GM dealer.
Give them their junk back.

What you want I don't thinks s sold commonly anymore:

10w30 Rotella T triple protect CONVENTIONAL.

What were you using for oil before?

Have you tried pulling the plugs and doing a kerosene or paint thinner soak?

Nothing will save the cat at that consumption rate.

Last edited:
Use CD-2 Stop Leak. Cut my consumption in our Alero in half. Be sure to use a minimum of two treatments over two OCIs. Keep these two OCIs to 4K max. Value conventional oils like Supertech, Formula Shell, Chevron.....etc.... are fine and no thinner oil than 5W-30 with the CD-2.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyusik

lucas is safer? why? what u mean bump up the grade?
I burn 3 qts , car takes 6qts every 3300 miles. I added a catch can. Car has internal pcv system not a pcv valve. I assume its piston rings.....

Lucas is useless and you are trading engine protection for cat protection, and no brainer.
If it's the rings, soak em! B12 Chem tool comes to mind. I just used a blend of atf some thin synthetic oil and gasoline before and worked great. I'd give the new delo a go, 15w is plenty for cali, a 40 wt will give you a healthy bump in thickness. It works great,if not keep looking. It should help with any clogs as hdeo cleans stuff up nicely. 6qts is quite a bit, sounds like you have saturn, I mean problem. I'd look for the issue, as oil thickness is a band aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back