Another Youtuber trying HPL trying to stop Oil Consumption

I've never understood why people try to fight oil consumption with magical mechanic in a bottle when it is pretty clear that most oil consumption is caused by wear . The really funny thing about oil consumption is until you reach the point where you have to add oil before you have to add gasoline, it really shouldn't be a big deal..
It's comparatively inexpensive. This is why "Mechanic in a can" products exist.

yeah, they exist, but do any of them work?
IMO many times It depends on whether the user has properly diagnosed the issue or the engine is in such a condition to realize a measurable benefit. For example a motor flush product is probably going to yield limited results on a well maintained engine vs one which has been neglected.

I'd imagine the degree of improvement with seal-swellers depends on how far gone the seal is at the time of treatment.

One other point, it may be that oil consumption goes down with HPL simply because it is less volatile.

Less of the oil will evaporate off through the PCV system.
Theoretically true, but Amsoil and RL have campaigned on that premise for years - and their oils have rarely delivered from that standpoint.

There has been conversation that the NOACK test is not as relevant as it once was.

I suspect that any oil consumption reduction from using HPL is the result of the cleaning properties.

Just an FYI on Noack

"As a result, a modified NOACK test at 150°C, which is in the temperature range of the cylinder bore, showed good correlation with evaporative oil consumption in actual engine operation."

"A bench test procedure is being evaluated at 150°C for an improved engine-to-bench correlation, although it may take some time to develop. Noack will remain at 250°C for GF-7, meaning it is simply an OEM limit in addition to GF-7.

SAE papers 2022-01-0524 and 2022-01-0525 demonstrate the improved correlation between engine operation and the modified Noack bench test."

Back