Another Youtuber trying HPL trying to stop Oil Consumption

This guy isn't exactly a scientist he called the no VII HPL Engine Oil, no 7... But he has tried a plethora of chemicals and mechanical changes to his old Corolla to stop Engine Oil Consumption.

This is not meant to be advice, rather entertainment. If this guy is banned like PF as well, apologies in advance, and remove the post. Otherwise maybe a few people will be entertained, as I was.

EDIT***

Part 2 is above and the conclusion to part 1 which is below.

I have watched quite a few of his videos. He seems like a family type person and not doing YT for profit. That said, he has tried numerous products with nearly no positive results. Have to give him credit for being relatively scientific and persistent. He really should rebuild that poor Corolla.

I have watched quite a few of his videos. He seems like a family type person and not doing YT for profit. That said, he has tried numerous products with nearly no positive results. Have to give him credit for being relatively scientific and persistent. He really should rebuild that poor Corolla.
At 25K subscribers....he's in it for the side hustle money make no mistake.

HPL isn't fixing this in a few K miles and neither are any other oils. Flush products are the best shot beyond mechanically fixing it.

Last edited:
Our van used about 1qt/5000 miles. Not bad but not ideal.

Not gonna lie, I’ve considered giving HPL a try just to see if it helps. At 95k and OLM intervals with PP, maybe some rings are stuck, who knows.

I didn't watch the videos but I doubt the oil consumption has anything to do with oil volatility. It's likely the low-tension rings or ring wear. Unless he said it was neglected and had carbon build up.

Well it wont have "normal" carbon anymore, he has run basically all kinds of cleaners and oils through it :ROFLMAO:

He used all the HPL as top-off oil. Never a full interval with 100% HPL in the engine.
True, but even HPL says that their oil is a stronger cleaner than their "Engine Cleaner". Given that DIY Dave tried both - there should be some results, right? But so far doesn't look like the weaker HPL EC or the stronger HPL PCMO (number seven lol) made enough positive difference.
At the same time plenty of other users here post tons of oil filters filled with carbon chunks.
Time will show, I got faith in HPL.

Is there actually anyone, anywhere, that has had ring issues causing oil consumption that has shown/proven that using XYZ oil did a thing for it w/r to cleaning/freeing them up? Not talking about increasing viscosity to reduce consumption. I'm going with no but who knows.....

You would have to disassemble and re-assemble the engine twice to actually prove that.
So big fat no. A friend manually cleaned his piston rings on a Volvo diesel 2.0T VEA. That was mostly sucessful in reducing oil consumption.

You would have to disassemble and re-assemble the engine twice to actually prove that.
So big fat no. A friend manually cleaned his piston rings on a Volvo diesel 2.0T VEA. That was mostly sucessful in reducing oil consumption.
I'm talking about improved oil consumption.

So am I.. ? How are you supposed to prove the piston rings have been cleaned without visual inspection before and after...

I’ve seen this guys videos, it’s remarkable he can get as many hits as he’s does just off a Corolla that burns oil. Think about it, it’s pretty fascinating. And yeah, I’ve caught myself watching some of those videos. 🤣🤣

You don't need to disassemble/reassemble the engine to see you oil consumption lessened using XYZ oil.
And if the goal is to lessen consumption, and you can measure consumption, who really cares about the precise condition of the rings, rings grooves, oil drain holes, or anything else?

If you lessen consumption => goal achieved.

And if the goal is to lessen consumption, and you can measure consumption, who really cares about the precise condition of the rings, rings grooves, oil drain holes, or anything else?

If you lessen consumption => goal achieved.
Yes not sure why he made that comment.

I've never understood why people try to fight oil consumption with magical mechanic in a bottle when it is pretty clear that most oil consumption is caused by wear . The really funny thing about oil consumption is until you reach the point where you have to add oil before you have to add gasoline, it really shouldn't be a big deal..

Back