M1 Annual priced right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I saw an ad on TV for M1 Annual. They were marketing it as a savings over 3k mile oil changes. I found that approach rather entertaining.

While I totally get the point that for the dude doing oil changes every 3k miles, even at $50, M1 Annual would actually be a savings. But I think Mobil missed a point here. Those that are still doing 3k oil changes are doing it because they believe it is the right thing to do for an engine. And they aren't about to change to a 20k oil change interval just because Mobil says they can.

M1EP has been out for how long? At least a decade? If those that believe in a 3k oil change interval haven't switched over to M1EP for a 15k oci, what makes Mobil think they will try a 20k interval product?

exactly...I'm an early changer and if they think their targeting me no way in double l hockey sticks am jumping on this wagon. I couldn't imagine yearly changes in a turbo/di 1.5l engine.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: raytseng
The problem is you're basing the pricing only on Walmart as the lowest price for M1 EP.

If Walmart decides to stop selling M1 EP at that price, (ala the PUP) then where are you going to get M1 EP for $25 and all the logic is dependent only on walmart pricing. Say you can only get M1 EP for $40, then what?

so perhaps the takeaway is you better stock up on walmart M1 EP as it is an outlier...

This logic would make sense if it were logical. However Walmart has had it for a long while and they haven't had a history of pricing it at $40. Plus I think even regular Mobil 1 with the $12 rebate is still a better deal than any 20k oil.

If the decision is to buy it now, the 15k EP makes more sense. If you're worried about the price of it going up, there's also the same possibility, which is probably greater that this $50 oil will come down in price.

The last two runs of the rebate didn't list Walmart as a participating retailer. Am missing something, or will a Walmart rebate submission be rejected?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Oh look, the marketing director for Mobil is bailing out of his flaming airplane before it crashes and burns.

26AB922700000578-2995616-KT1_Crash_OliverSanta_8594_jpg-a-13_1426434733956.jpg

LOL

Originally Posted By: raytseng
The problem is you're basing the pricing only on Walmart as the lowest price for M1 EP.

If Walmart decides to stop selling M1 EP at that price, (ala the PUP) then where are you going to get M1 EP for $25 and all the logic is dependent only on walmart pricing. Say you can only get M1 EP for $40, then what?

so perhaps the takeaway is you better stock up on walmart M1 EP as it is an outlier...

I can get Mobil 1 jugs for about the same price at Meijer too

You know how stores price good at a high price, and when they're on sale for 40% off everyone goes in and buys it? Well, Mobil 1 may be doing the same thing. Price it high, and then have a permanent sale of $30 for the AP jug.

Last edited:
If Pennzoil & WMT don't get their acts together and straighten out the messed up pricing of PU on the WMT site I'll switch back to Mobil 1 once I run out of PU. Only this time I'll use EP instead of AFE. IMO all AP did was make EP look like a much better deal.

Brilliant strategy to sell more EP. Everyone bit on the plan to show how good a deal EP is.

Just a thought here... maybe the cost of producing an oil capable of AP length drains isn't linear? That would explain extra cost over EP. Perhaps the price will come down later once production ramps up?

Nope! Wait.. I may now give this a shot.

I'm viewing it with my own eyes in the Walmart store. I shudder what they price it at smaller stores. I would guess at least $70...

M1 AFE = $25.47
M1 EP (three left) = same, $25.47
M1 HM = same, $25.47
M1 AP = $49.84. Not a single one sold.

A 20,000 mile oil change. This has to be a serious oil to merit that.

I will go to Customer Service and ask if the Web coupons posted in the other thread are redeemable. If they are, I'm not paying $30 extra for a specific brand name.

I got the M1 EP jug from WM for $16 and did the $12 rebate. It will go into my Pilot for 11k miles, which is usually 1 year's worth.
That means I got an annual oil for $4.

I'm not good at math but $4 is less than $50.

wonder if the AP is actually synthetic oil now.

That would be and OK price for an "LL" oil especially if it would meet porsche A40 or MB 229.5x
minus the HTHS requirement.

I'm am not a fan of LL oil tried in the past. I suppose don't want big DP messing with my AW in the package. If it runs sweet in the motor, though, I go for it regardless.
... and do a semi annual OC. Spring/Fall. I only drive 12K/year now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
wonder if the AP is actually synthetic oil now.

That would be and OK price for an "LL" oil especially if it would meet porsche A40 or MB 229.5x
minus the HTHS requirement.

I'm am not a fan of LL oil tried in the past. I suppose don't want big DP messing with my AW in the package. If it runs sweet in the motor, though, I go for it regardless.
... and do a semi annual OC. Spring/Fall. I only drive 12K/year now.

I'm trying to decipher this comment. So you think this is conventional oil? Also, what is DP and why would it mess with your AW ( anti wear?)

They will sell some. Someone will buy it because it's the most expensive and think it's the best, but at Walmart if it doesn't sell fast it ends up on the epic Walmart clearance... Was $49 now $47!

As others have already commented on, with smaller TGDI engines becoming more the norm, running this oil for 20k oci might lead to more premature engine wear and other problems. It seems that Mobil and the auto industry are going in opposite directions.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
They will sell some. Someone will buy it because it's the most expensive and think it's the best, but at Walmart if it doesn't sell fast it ends up on the epic Walmart clearance... Was $49 now $47!

We get the same, and worse. I see complaints about $12.99 a quart. When Walmart Canada was trying to clear out SM/GF-4 Castrol gold bottle, is was more than that.
wink.gif

Something I've noticed is all the Walmarts near me have bare shelves now of EP products, especially 0W-20. I really hope they don't discontinue M1 EP

With Synpower on sale right next to it on the shelf with those coupons, I am now divided about giving this a shot when it's time to change my oil.

They had some M1 0W-40 for sale, same price as the M1 EP, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back