Buying a used Honda EB5000X gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've lost power enough at my house that I was wanting to get a generator. My current setup has been a 750w inverter connected to my Crown Vic. Not the most efficient use of gas since its about 1/2 gallon an hour no matter what the load is.
My work had this Honda EB5000X for sale. $800. I was looking at getting a 2kw inverter gen but for about the same money I have twice the power. Its 6 years old. With how good Honda stuff is and that I expect to only do 20-30 hours a year it should last me quite a while even so.

After I get it, Im going to go through it, of course.
So far after looking through the manual Im going to do
Oil
Air filter (foam, so clean and oil it. yuck)
Spark Plug
Adj Valves
Fuel sediment trap
Clean spark arrestor
Im kinda thinking about buying a generic hour meter/tach off amazon and putting it on there, just for my curiosity.

Anything Im missing?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
OHV or OHC?

Is there a thin rubber timing belt like the mowers?

I think the EB series is their heavy duty jobsite generator. Hence the bar across the top. They don't use the cheaper OHC model on any of their generators. This one probably has the GX390 OHV

Doubt you will need to adjust valves. GX type, OHV, no belt, the standard that everyone else copied. If well cared for they're bulletproof. Run it once a month regardless. Hondas are sensitive to ethanol, avoid if possible and use Stabil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
You sure there isn't already an hour meter on it?

Nope. Would be nice if it did.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
OHV or OHC?

Is there a thin rubber timing belt like the mowers?

I think the EB series is their heavy duty jobsite generator. Hence the bar across the top. They don't use the cheaper OHC model on any of their generators. This one probably has the GX390 OHV

Correct, GX390.
I have the tools, so Ill check the valves just to be through...but yeah, they will probably be fine.

Looks like a decent price for a Honda to me. Just FYI the 2k watt inverter generators at HF run $450 with coupon and have excellent reviews, and their normal 4k watt models run $289 and I know several people that are happy with them. No Honda, but I think they would serve your intended purpose just as well.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Doubt you will need to adjust valves. GX type, OHV, no belt, the standard that everyone else copied. If well cared for they're bulletproof. Run it once a month regardless. Hondas are sensitive to ethanol, avoid if possible and use Stabil.

Why is this Honda engine sensitive to ethanol? My Honda walk behind mower was 21 years old when I gave it away and always ran on E-10 and never had a problem. I do use Stabil in all my OPE, especially if the engine isn't going to be ran for a few months.

Originally Posted By: tig1
user52165 said:

Why is this Honda engine sensitive to ethanol? My Honda walk behind mower was 21 years old when I gave it away and always ran on E-10 and never had a problem. I do use Stabil in all my OPE, especially if the engine isn't going to be ran for a few months. [

its not. I have one. I actually gave up on sta-bil a long time ago after having a mercury outboard constantly have the carb gummed up.

Good price, bulletproof generator if maintained. Check it over and make sure everything is working properly, try and put a load on it like a couple electric space heaters and make sure it's putting out the proper frequency and voltage. Other than that it's basic maintenance on those motors and a little exercise for the genset and they run forever.

$800 for a used 5000w generator seems a bit steep to me.
You can get a brand new Champion 7500w running 9375w surge shipped you your door step for $654.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/41537-7500-9375w-Champion-Power-Equipment-Generator-/272503904845?hash=item3f727f9a4d:g:Q5gAAMXQWzNSkRlu

Originally Posted By: cronk
You can get a brand new Champion 7500w running 9375w surge shipped you your door step for $654.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/41537-7500-9375w-Champion-Power-Equipment-Generator-/272503904845?hash=item3f727f9a4d:g:Q5gAAMXQWzNSkRlu

New, those generators go for $2150 at Home Depot. They will last a lot longer than a Champion generator for $650. Current condition depends upon the use and maintenance it got, but overall it's still a longer lasting generator for asking price of $800, unless it has some real stupid amount of hours and it was never maintained.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

New, those generators go for $2150 at Home Depot. They will last a lot longer than a Champion generator for $650. Current condition depends upon the use and maintenance it got, but overall it's still a longer lasting generator for asking price of $800, unless it has some real stupid amount of hours and it was never maintained.

Whimsey

I think $800 is pretty cheap for a Honda

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Whimsey

I disagree. Champion has built a solid reputation for quality and reliability. If you check out some of the RV forums there are some very positive reviews and some members have thousands of trouble free hours on their Champions.
I personally own 2, and have been impressed with them.
I think it's about time someone came and gave Honda some competition. They make a good product, but IMHO they are over priced.
Champion makes a product that is competitive with Honda in performance for a much more affordable price.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: user52165

Why is this Honda engine sensitive to ethanol? My Honda walk behind mower was 21 years old when I gave it away and always ran on E-10 and never had a problem. I do use Stabil in all my OPE, especially if the engine isn't going to be ran for a few months.

From what I have seen on here over the years is that Honda has junk carbs that can't be left sitting at all ethanol or not.

I have constant problems with gummed up carbs. All brands of OPE. Almost every year I have to buy a carb for something or other. So, it wouldnt be anything Im new to.

I did bring it home Friday. They took it down to $700+tax. I ordered a spark plug and hour meter. Hoping that it will warm up here soon so I can get some outside chores done to include servicing this.

Ran it for an hour and a half today with 4 kw load. Ran great, except for the first 30-45 seconds it ran pretty rough. Im hoping a new plug will clean that up.

After I brought it in, I changed the oil with Delo 400 XLE 10W30.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Ran it for an hour and a half today with 4 kw load. Ran great, except for the first 30-45 seconds it ran pretty rough. Im hoping a new plug will clean that up.

After I brought it in, I changed the oil with Delo 400 XLE 10W30.

Change the plug as you plan to do, they're cheap and easy to do. If it only ran rough for the first 30-45 seconds that could be too much or too little choke. Since it ran great after that I would not worry about it, as long as you do not have to use the choke continuously to keep it running. Some fresh gas and a fuel additive cleaner for a tank or two and you should be fine. Good choice in oil and Good purchase!

Whimsey

seems kinda pricy with unknown hours, but if you are happy with the deal that is all that matters.

I have the same generator. Bought it for 650 at an auction. It was used and a little beat up. It fired right up and made electricity so I bought it. Its been reliable and i have no complaints. I use Mobil 1 10/30 and use Sta-Bil in the gas. I needed a reliable generator and was doing my share of research on generators. I was considering a few HF and Champion models but I decided that I would buy this one when I came across it. I figured that if it needed some work, I could repair it and have a good, reliable generator. Honda makes good stuff and plenty of parts are available if needed. I have had mine for at least 7 years. Only thing it needs is a new foam air filter as the original one is falling apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back