Fram Ultra Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Originally Posted By: bvance554
I routinely use $2 Pronto's for 10k and they look great. I wouldn't sweat it.

2$ Pronto filters hold 2-5 grams of dirt, so your filter is in bypass for over half the OCI. But hey, as long as they "look great" I suppose that is all that matters. Happy New Year

Great information Jay.
Nothing comes close to an Ultra.

Originally Posted By: Familyman
Is this really good for a 15k oci (the claim on the box)?? Has any one here ran one of these for that long? What about this filter makes it capable of such a long drain ? Thanks for any insight you have. It would be sweet to only change my filter every third oci.

What gives it the ability to go that far is capacity. Most Ultra models can hold 25-32 grams of dirt to full. Given that the dirtiest of engines make around a gram per 1000 miles, they easily go the distance. Lots of filters have great capacity and still are not rated to 15k. Why? Construction and filter media. Synthetic glass microfiber media filters will never degrade when immersed in oil. Typical cellulose/synthetic blends can and will degrade over time. The silicone adbv also stays pliable forever. Stay tuned, we will be upping the mileage interval on these in 2017.

Is this really good for a 15k oci (the claim on the box)?? Has any one here ran one of these for that long? What about this filter makes it capable of such a long drain ? Thanks for any insight you have. It would be sweet to only change my filter every third oci.

What gives it the ability to go that far is capacity. Most Ultra models can hold 25-32 grams of dirt to full. Given that the dirtiest of engines make around a gram per 1000 miles, they easily go the distance. Lots of filters have great capacity and still are not rated to 15k. Why? Construction and filter media. Synthetic glass microfiber media filters will never degrade when immersed in oil. Typical cellulose/synthetic blends can and will degrade over time. The silicone adbv also stays pliable forever. Stay tuned, we will be upping the mileage interval on these in 2017.

Thanks for the info on these.

Stay tuned, we will be upping the mileage interval on these in 2017.
Jay - I need an Ultra for a 6.7L Ford Powerstroke...any plans to make one?
grin.gif

If they ($2 filter) look great, they're not doing their job.

Others say my oil still looks golden brown at 12K and I have over 125K on the odometer. Well that oil ain't doing it's job either..... not on 12k OCIs.

Right on. How about a nice white air filter after 25k ? That a good filter ?
Good filters trap dirt (should) - good oils liberate and disperse contamination - show me da dirt !

great

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
grin.gif

would that be the 8873 by chance? i started a thread earlier in the year asking for a 8873 for a big block 496, but no response...maybe now.

i would prefer the ultra, am using the royal purple for now at 10k.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
grin.gif

would that be the 8873 by chance? i started a thread earlier in the year asking for a 8873 for a big block 496, but no response...maybe now.
No; that filter will not work on a PSD:

FRAM 8873:
71EteIZKokL._SL1500_.jpg

WIX 57151:

81rFjB0N%2BtL._SL1500_.jpg

... 2$ Pronto filters hold 2-5 grams of dirt, so your filter is in bypass for over half the OCI. ...
... yes, if it's on what you called "the dirtiest of engines." If it's on a healthy engine, I'm skeptical of that claim. 2-5 grams caught in the media is such a heavy load it would be obvious, wouldn't it? I've cut filters with well over 15,000 miles that had very little visible "dirt" in the media --- admittedly without using a microscope.

One ounce equals about 28 grams, so 2.8 grams is 1/10 of an ounce. I can't imagine an average sized filter of any kind clogging with 1/10 ounce of dirt. Maybe my imagination is wrong. Filters vary widely in size, as do engines, as does conditions of use, so I don't make sense of a mileage claim either. I change the best filters at 5k because the oil comes out then and I want as much as possible to come out. The savings in dollars isn't worth it to me.

The oil filter stockpile in our landfills should be worth it to you.
Millions of filters in landfills that aren't more than 1/3rd used-up.

Thank you Honda and hopefully others follow-suit.

Last edited:
My filters and used oil all go to recycling in proper containers, never in the trash. Honda wasn't even making cars when using an oil filter for two intervals was in some American car owner's manuals.

2$ Pronto filters hold 2-5 grams of dirt, so your filter is in bypass for over half the OCI. But hey, as long as they "look great" I suppose that is all that matters. Happy New Year

I was referring to the construction and durability. Not measuring grams of dirt.

Again... show of hands if you've lost an engine due to oil or oil filter related failure in a properly maintained vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back