Fram Ultra Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bvance554
Again... show of hands if you've lost an engine due to oil or oil filter related failure in a properly maintained vehicle.

It's rare, but engines have been lost due to oil filter failures (ie, stuff breaking off from inside the filter and going into the engine). That's the main reason I always use filters that are well constructed, and don't have a track record of reported failures, like the Tearolator fiasco showed.

As far as engines blowing up due to poor efficiency, probably not going to happen. But if you read papers about engine wear vs particle size in the oil, they all say that higher efficiency filters will help prevent wear much better. Is your engine going to blow up due to excessive wear ... again, probably not. Could you even tell if your engine was worn more due to using cheap oil filters - maybe with tons of miles, but probably not. So if you don't care about wear, then use the cheapest filters you can find - just make sure they don't disintegrates in use and smoke the engine, especially if it's some weird brand where you can't even get anyone to stand behind a warranty that would replace the engine due to the fault of the oil filter.

Again... show of hands if you've lost an engine due to oil or oil filter related failure in a properly maintained vehicle.

*fails to raise hand*

Is "loosing an engine" what it takes to stop using [censored] oil filters?
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It's rare, but engines have been lost due to oil filter failures (ie, stuff breaking off from inside the filter and going into the engine). That's the main reason I always use filters that are well constructed, and don't have a track record of reported failures, like the Tearolator fiasco showed.

As far as engines blowing up due to poor efficiency, probably not going to happen. But if you read papers about engine wear vs particle size in the oil, they all say that higher efficiency filters will help prevent wear much better. Is your engine going to blow up due to excessive wear ... again, probably not. Could you even tell if your engine was worn more due to using cheap oil filters - maybe with tons of miles, but probably not. So if you don't care about wear, then use the cheapest filters you can find - just make sure they don't disintegrates in use and smoke the engine, especially if it's some weird brand where you can't even get anyone to stand behind a warranty that would replace the engine due to the fault of the oil filter.

Final prod of the year. There was an Ultra cartridge filter with the bottom of a pleat missing, gone. He had pictures, and I don't think any further came of it except to sweep it under the rug. They do have to use the wire to keep them shaped apparently, and look how fuzzy they are. I hope 2017 is good for all.

Final prod of the year? Yeah, ANY filter could fail ... it's super mass production (watch the many production videos), so there is always the 2 or 3 sigma flyer out there. The key words were "don't have a track record of reported failures". Any failure that is seen over and over again (ie, Tearolators) is considered a "track record". A rare one or two failures over the span of years isn't going to get much attention.

Seems like FRAM may be working on their page, the flash at the top says:

"Ultimate dual-layer synthetic media provides greater than 15K miles of coverage"

The actual Ultra page says:

"Ultimate dual-layer synthetic media provides up to 15,000 miles of engine protection"

The foot note says:

"1 Follow recommended change intervals as noted in your vehicle owner's manual"

Originally Posted By: Familyman
Is this really good for a 15k oci (the claim on the box)?? Has any one here ran one of these for that long? What about this filter makes it capable of such a long drain ? Thanks for any insight you have. It would be sweet to only change my filter every third oci.

Heres a quick look at one after 15K. My experience is that it holds up fine under automotive duty.

I think this could have gone further in my application, but our resident rep says nein on that.

Its at or near top of the heap and arguably the best single stage on the market per dollar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzzDPmBw8jc

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Motorking
... 2$ Pronto filters hold 2-5 grams of dirt, so your filter is in bypass for over half the OCI. ...
... yes, if it's on what you called "the dirtiest of engines." If it's on a healthy engine, I'm skeptical of that claim. 2-5 grams caught in the media is such a heavy load it would be obvious, wouldn't it? I've cut filters with well over 15,000 miles that had very little visible "dirt" in the media --- admittedly without using a microscope.

Well, he "*has* to say that....

He can't get caught saying "Pronto is a good filter" now, can he?

I'd do the same thing if I want to keep my employer happy.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Originally Posted By: Familyman
Is this really good for a 15k oci (the claim on the box)?? Has any one here ran one of these for that long? What about this filter makes it capable of such a long drain ? Thanks for any insight you have. It would be sweet to only change my filter every third oci.

What gives it the ability to go that far is capacity. Most Ultra models can hold 25-32 grams of dirt to full. Given that the dirtiest of engines make around a gram per 1000 miles, they easily go the distance. Lots of filters have great capacity and still are not rated to 15k. Why? Construction and filter media. Synthetic glass microfiber media filters will never degrade when immersed in oil. Typical cellulose/synthetic blends can and will degrade over time. The silicone adbv also stays pliable forever. Stay tuned, we will be upping the mileage interval on these in 2017.

Can't get any better than this ^. It would be nice if other company representatives would help in providing details in engineering to us. That's why I buy Fram Ultra. Jay you are a great asset on these forums.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back