How to move a pool table?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about getting a used pool table, and all the cheap(er) ones say I'd have to pick it up and move it.

I have no idea how to do this. I assume you dissemble them somehow.
dunno.gif

Anybody ever move one before?

patriot.gif

The tables typically have a three piece slate top. The rest of the table will disassemble. The smaller slate pieces are still very heavy and easy to chip, so handle carefully.

If you tear it down yourself, take notes on what goes where and that will make reassembly go a lot smoother. I used to own a slate table, but sold it to a friend.

When you put it back together, take time to level the bed because there is nothing more aggravating than a bed that isn't flat. If there is a ball return mechanism, take time to set that up and get it to work reliably.

There are tables with composite wood beds but those will be difficult to keep true. Slate is the way to go if you intend to keep the table for a long time.

There would be a big difference in moving a regulation, full size pool table, and one of the coin operated models.

If it's a 9 foot regulation sized table, the slate will indeed be in three pieces, and you'd want to disassemble the table carefully, and re-assemble properly.

If it's a coin operated table you can move it with the slate in it. The 7 foot coin operated tables (Valleys, Dynamos) have single piece slates). Just remove all of the balls, then lift up one side of the table and put a chair under that side, then get underneath it and screw the leg levelers (feet) out of the legs and set them aside.

Then take a flat dolly (like a piano dolly) and set it on the floor on the side where you've removed the feet. You'll need at least THREE PEOPLE with good backs...

You and another guy get on the side opposite the dolly and tip the table up on its side so that it sits on the dolly. The third person will be centering the dolly underneath the table's side as the pool table comes up. (If you try to raise the table up on its side without first removing the leveler feet, you'll break the feet and/or legs).

Nest you will remove the legs from the table to make it easier to move through doors.

I'd get a low trailer to haul it on, preferably an enclosed trailer. You can haul them on a pick-up truck, but you've got to be able to muscle the table up into the truck. Since it's top heavy, it would be easy to turn over as you were trying to get it up into the pick up.

Just go easy, and be careful, and realize that if you drop the table and break the slate you've ruined it...
frown.gif

Dan

I purchased a used Gandy Big G 9 footer at a pool hall going out of business sale.

They are heavy, even when disassembled.

They disassembled it and moved it for me. But for setting it up, if you can afford it, look in the Yellow pages for somebody who is a professional.

If the seller cannot recommend a mover, I also say call a pro pool table technician.

Its a reasonably big investment, and you don't want to screw it up. And if you do it yourself, your pool games may be more like golf on a public course than pool.

One of my first "real" jobs when i was in high school was working for a guy who moved pool tables. we moved them exactly the same way the previous posts describe. it was amazing that we would fit a full sized pool table in the back of an isuzu pickup.
hire a pro to set it up, it will probably cost less than $75. there is a bit of skill to set them up so that they are flat and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back