MC FL-400S Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the oil filter that was removed last weekend. I stated that there was very little oil that came from the filter when the filter was loosened from the mounting base/nipple.
When I cut the filter open I kept it in the vertical position the whole time. In pic #1 you will see there is less than a 1/4 cup of oil in the filter! It makes you wonder where all of the oil went...????
21.gif

The ADBV looked good as did the base plate

209isf6.jpg

dxmnas.jpg

28bzddl.jpg

140f7o3.jpg

2ziocpz.jpg

30vgdp4.jpg

r8w5t3.jpg

is that a tear I spy in the 2nd picture?

It really is odd the filter wasnt full, and that not much came out of the opening when you took it off. There was never really a consensus on that in the other thread was there?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I will have to take a closer look at the filter media again. But, where is all of the oil?
confused2.gif

Possible that the tear resulted in a purge flow at the end of that pump stroke and evacuated it mostly?

wick out the oil with napkins a few rounds and take another look. It's probably an optical illusion. FL-400S is one of my faves.

Pictures like this and the tearing has pushed me to Fram TG for my Escape and Wix if I can get them on sale. I lost trust in the MC filters
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
wick out the oil with napkins a few rounds and take another look. It's probably an optical illusion.

My thoughts as well. I thought it was a very big tear at first too, but after looking at it for a little longer, it looks to me more like pooled oil that is creating a reflection. If you look at the space between the pleats next to it, you'll see there's a similar looking bit of reflection there as well, and that is definitely NOT a tear.

Seems to me the media held up fine, but I would like to see a photo of the same area after the paper towel wick is applied.

What I find odd about this post is "if' there is a tear, that the OP wouldn't note it or comment about it first as the camera is focused right on the area in two different pics. That said, looking carefully at other areas especially in the last pic, there appears to be similar type images in other pleats. Looks like what could be a reflection off the oil and I doubt they all tore. So until the OP confirms them, I'm not convinced there are any tears.

As for where the oil went, perhaps the adbv was compromised in form, or not. Didn't read any mention of a start up rattle though. And even if there was a rattle, those are more of an irritation than any significant engine damage issue.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
wick out the oil with napkins a few rounds and take another look. It's probably an optical illusion. FL-400S is one of my faves.

Hard to say ... BOF didn't mention a tear though.

When I cut the filter open I kept it in the vertical position the whole time. In pic #1 you will see there is less than a 1/4 cup of oil in the filter! It makes you wonder where all of the oil went...????
21.gif

The ADBV looked good as did the base plate.

The ADBV still could have been leaking even though nothing was obvious by just looking at it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
21.gif

The ADBV looked good as did the base plate.

The ADBV still could have been leaking even though nothing was obvious by just looking at it.

I dont really see how the ADBV is suspected here when the filter location on this engine is mostly vertical in orientation with the ADBV on top.

Originally Posted By: volk06
I dont really see how the ADBV is suspected here when the filter location on this engine is mostly vertical in orientation with the ADBV on top.

Been discussed quite extensively in This Thread [Link]

Yeah haha a tear that large wouldn't be missed. Im positive its a glare but lets let the man with th actual filter tell us

Originally Posted By: Plawan
Yeah haha a tear that large wouldn't be missed. Im positive its a glare but lets let the man with th actual filter tell us

As I also suspected, you(and others) were correct sir. Difficult to comprehend that the OP would focus on not much oil left in the filter while completely missing a gaping hole in the media directly pictured twice. Sadly IMO, I'm fairly confident from reading this board that some will be disappointed because of it's manufacturer, that it didn't turn out to be a gaping hole. But, it is what it is now.

As for the filter, media looks fine. Won't speculate on the adbv function.

Thanks for the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back