Microgard MGL51315 cut open

This filter was used on the 97 Maxima for 7515 miles and 23 months. Oil used was Delo XLE 10W-30. Kept the same oil and used a Fram PH3614.
Before anyone raises the alarm, I changed the oil filter mount nipple to 3/4-16.
After draining for 23 hours the filter was full of oil.
Sadly, one pleat was torn on both sides, but Wix probably does not condone using an oil filter for 23 months.

IMG_8437.jpg

IMG_8438.jpg

IMG_8439.jpg

IMG_8440.jpg

IMG_8441.jpg

IMG_8442.jpg

IMG_8443.jpg

IMG_8444.jpg

IMG_8445.jpg

IMG_8446.jpg

5k filter used for 7.5k = tear = no surprise
It sounds like you've used a more appropriate filter for the miles. Thanks for c & p.

If it "meets OEM specs", then it should be able to go to whatever OCI is called out in a vehicles OM without teating, which will be more than 5,000 miles these days. Where does Microgard say it's only good for 5,000 miles?

If it "meets OEM specs", then it should be able to go to whatever OCI is called out in a vehicles OM without teating, which will be more than 5,000 miles these days. Where does Microgard say it's only good for 5,000 miles?
"Recommended for 3,000 to 5,000 miles" is all over Oreilly's website. I don't see recommended for OEM ODI or 7,500 miles. If you do show us.

Screenshot 2024-03-09 4.20.14 AM.jpg

"Recommended for 3,000 to 5,000 miles" is all over Oreilly's website. I don't see recommended for OEM ODI or 7,500 miles. If you do show us.

View attachment 207398
You missed the part I underlined in red - this was just above the part you did a screen shot on. That's the over-riding statement, as their "recommendation" on OCI is just their recommendation.

Besides, if an oil filter is designed and built well, it should be able to go even beyond the vehicle's called out OCI in the manufacturer's owner's manual or service manual

1710010031713.jpg

Last edited:
I'm reading online where it recommends 3750 for severe service & I don't know how far all highway miles would be. OP do you know the non "Severe" service interval? They say that many fall into the "severe" category.

5k filter used for 7.5k = tear = no surprise
It sounds like you've used a more appropriate filter for the miles. Thanks for c & p.
Well, it was basically 2 years. That’s the strength of the full synthetic media filters-the Endurance, Wix XP/NAPA Platinum, OG Ultra, etc.-they can take the abuse of sitting around & long term use without falling apart. Those old Wix MGs weren’t that good anyway, basically a Pro-Tec.

Well, it was basically 2 years. That’s the strength of the full synthetic media filters-the Endurance, Wix XP/NAPA Platinum, OG Ultra, etc.-they can take the abuse of sitting around & long term use without falling apart. Those old Wix MGs weren’t that good anyway, basically a Pro-Tec.
Good information & to add that it was basically an 8 year old filter run 2 years as you mentioned. I've mentioned that Oreilly's sources their basic line from WIX before & it's interesting to see what those filters look like. Don't know much about those Protecs other than probably just 5k max service shop replacements...lol.

I wonder if they will switch to PG made for the entry level filters. They already use PG for the Selects.

I wonder if they will switch to PG made for the entry level filters. They already use PG for the Selects.
I was warned by PG that Oreilly's still sources some Microgard Standard filters from WIX. But we seem to be seeing great looking PG built basics on here so. :unsure:

Back