ST4386 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a new ST filter in the smaller size. It has a purplish adbv. The adbv is made of a strange rubber. It seems to have some memory. In the side picture of it, the sealing part is still returning to it's shape after I bent it up. Infatuation with glossy new, chamfered inlet holes, outer appearance means everything, plus $3 price, is over for good. The media looks thin and they waste a lot of space in the can with the long spring and giant adbv. The filter is shorter than the Toyota equivalent shown next to it. Most all others are the same height as the Toyota that I have used. There are a couple good points I see like nice holes in the center tube and the flutes on the can are indented for more grip. The can is .013-.014 in. thick. In summary for me, no thank you. Others will not agree for sure.

DSCN2071_zps6fm9vreh.jpg
DSCN2072_zpsivyq3mu9.jpg
DSCN2074_zpstwn1nrpt.jpg
DSCN2073_zpskhgsemjr.jpg
DSCN2080_zpsyo2thh8f.jpg
DSCN2082_zpsvgt42tp6.jpg
DSCN2083_zpskod1msiq.jpg
DSCN2084_zpsrax6hpoz.jpg
DSCN2085_zpsuf4fkler.jpg
DSCN2086_zpsn9tlu5xm.jpg
DSCN2087_zpskdqphec8.jpg
DSCN2081_zpspe6ttrwp.jpg

Maybe they bough those ADBVs from Royal Purple.

PS: I don't understand your 5th sentence beginning with "Infatuation.....is over for good"????

Pro-Tec (Wix) ADBV and Pressure Relief Valves are purple in some of the ones I have seen. If it is simple a re-badged Pro-Tec then it is silicone.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Maybe they bough those ADBVs from Royal Purple.

PS: I don't understand your 5th sentence beginning with "Infatuation.....is over for good"????

I meant when they came out I was also excited as others a $3 wix made filter that looks so good on the outside was easy to get at WM. They even chamfered the holes they put so much into it, it seemed. That's over now.

The only thing about the ST4386 specific construction that wouldn't be to my general preference is the use of the combo valve. But, that would no more so than that the Champ/Fram/Rank combo valve usage in the ecores like STP, Fram Core and others. Probably less so for me because I prefer the ST's overall construction type to the ecore. But as I say for even the ecore, 'likely' ok for 3-5k ocis for which they are intended.

Otoh, the new ST9688 linked below* uses a separate metal dome end bypass and is more to my preference. Imo, at $2.88 the equivalent of many of the value tier filters posted here, including but not limited to the many off shore sourced value filters posted here. Though not first choice I'd use the ST9688. That said, WM seems to having difficulty keeping that application in stock in this area. My .02

* _New_SuperTech_ST968#Post4042378]http://...968#Post4042378

They had only one st3614, and maybe two of these st4386 left, selling fast. The 3614 is different, dome bypass, and black Parker adbv. Can read Parker though the holes. Frankly I have never seen such a strange "rubber" adbv material as this one. I don't trust it to seal or work as intended. It has a memory, doesn't flap back down. I have other words for whatever it is made of.

It looks to be made pretty well for such an inexpensive filter. But I'm with others about the lack of excitement for the combo valve design.

95% @ 29 microns - marked on the box?

I believe that's true Zee0six... It's efficiency is on the box. I'm running a tough guard right now. For only $2.75 more its a solid deal.

I do not care for the combo valve based on my experiences with Napa Proselect models with the combo valve.

http://www.napafilters.com/wp-content/uploads/NAPA_ProSelect_Filters_Combo_Valve.pdf

http://www.wixfilters.com/assets/TechBulletins/WIX/bulletin.wix.protec.combo.valve.final.pdf

I do not care for the extrapolated predicted efficiency of 68% @ 20 microns using the data point from the side of the box and the only other published ISO 4548-12 data point of 83% at 25 microns by Champion Laboratories in 2007 for Napa Silver and Pro-Tec filters.

http://www.mobil.com/Shared-Files-LCW/mobil-1-ep-oil-filter-design_amer_en.pdf

Those are the only two ISO 4548-12 data points, so a slope of 3% change in efficiency per 1 micron change in particle size.

(95 - 83) / (29 - 25) = 12/4 = 3

25 - 20 = 5

5 * 3 = 15

83 - 15 = 68

Not everyone will agree, just my preferences

^^^ I get around 68~70% @ 20 microns too using the curves I have for cellulose media (you've seen them before). So yeah, it's not a really efficient oil filter.

I don't care much about extrapolations and put little faith in their reliability. The Super Tech filter is what it is, a value/low end tier filter, equivalent to some and/or better than other value tier filters. In the case of the O'R MicroGard, same box stated efficiency. That said, at $2.88 I doubt most folks purchasing them care much if anything about efficiency ratings anyway. And in that regard, I'd say likely the equivalent or better than the Asian oems from some respected vehicle manufacturers, not to mention all the many unknown China coo value/low end filters posted here over time. In other words, it's all relative.

Those applications using a combo valve, not as preferable imo, as those using the dome bypass in the aforementioned SST9688. Just as the Fram/Rank ecores with combo valves not as preferable as other Rank filters using separate poppet type bypass. Again, relative.

Bottom line, the made for WM ST filter not designed to appeal to or target the average reader here. But, like the MicroGard and others, still will have sales to the masses. And very doubtful those using it or similar will have vehicles expire prematurely simply from their use.

I believe Wix has 4 or 5 different colors for those combo valves, I think the color denotes and is specific to whatever the supposed "bypass" psi is.

Most I have seen and all I have actually used have been black. I have only seen these others on the web. What is the spec'd psi bypass rating on the OEM filter for that vehicle?

Construction and use wise I have never had any issue with the Napa Silver version of this filter. I moved away from the combo valve later though when I realized 1) efficiency was very poor and 2) there was a Napa Silver with a Motorcraft style thread end bypass available I could use for the same price.

I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep having any of them on my vehicle though.

Any chance you could put the combo valve in the freezer overnight and see how pliable it is the next day? That would be my main worry about those things--cold starts in the deep winter. I would hope the material is engineered to perform properly at normal operating temperatures.

I could put it in the freezer. It bends OK, it just sort of takes it's time returning back to shape on it's own, or not at all. It's not like any adbv rubber I have seen.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I could put it in the freezer. It bends OK, it just sort of takes it's time returning back to shape on it's own, or not at all. It's not like any adbv rubber I have seen.

Secret video showing how combo valve rubber was invented ...
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back