jack stands recommended with car ramps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:

My new Corolla has such a low profile I need to use my car ramps for oil changes. I know that car jacks are recommended when using a floor jack, but is it also a good precaution when using car ramps? I have a very old set of Rhino ramps and have always been a bit nervous that they are made out of plastic. I've never really used jack stands. Once the car is up on the ramp, can they be adjusted to the exact height at which the car is raised? The ones I've used in the past only had set levels adjusted by inserting pins into the proper holes. If I get a good set of steel car ramps, should I still use jack stands? Thanks

I've never used jack stands with ramps. The biggest danger with ramps is the vehicle rolling off of them, so make sure you have the parking brake set and the wheels on the ground chocked.

I have some old Rhino ramps and like you, I don't trust them either.
grin2.gif

I put the floor jack under there as a backup. Eventually I'm gonna make some blocks out of 4x12 headers.

I always throw a jack stand under the car when it is up in ramps...just in case...

A friend of my father was killed decades ago while working on his Duesenberg. Crushed by a failed jack. Great car, but any car can kill you and it takes seconds to add that stand.

heavy duty metal ramps, NO jack stands... cheap stamped metal POS, or plastic, use jack stands.

I used to drive car over ramps for oil changes but once I figured out that jacking up one side still worked well, I switched my method. I still use stands after jacking up one side. Rhino Ramps are pretty strong and safe though. Never had an issue with them (except they slide forward. I solved it with ropes tied through the holes and driving over the ropes) but I always put the parking brake in, used wheel chokes, and them shook vehicle a bit before sliding below the car.

I still do use ramps in front and jacks in the back for transmission fluid changes.

To your specific question...I would not recommend that you support car with jack stands when driven over ramps. Although you can keep the jack stands right below some good support points almost touching them but not supporting them. You want front wheels firmly sitting on the ramp and not create any play due to jacks. Set levels of jacks are good enough to achieve this.

I use Rhino ramps but instead of driving up onto them, I jack the car up from the front. Wheel chocks are already in place and the parking brake was set first.

I leave the floor jack in place touching but not supporting the lift point. I then wedge two jack stands at left and right front lift points.

Everything I have is rated far in excess of what I'm lifting.

Next oil change I'm installing a Fumoto and a Fram Ultra. If I can reach the Fumoto lever and attach a tube to the nipple, then I won't have to lift this vehicle until it's time for a filter change.

Always check plastic ramps for cracks in the webbing with a flashlight before using!

I still don't trust them and usually stick something else as a backup.

Rhino ramps are safe as long as they are not cracked. Your new car is not heavy. That being said, I'm a safety Nazi and always use a redundant safety device under a car. Either a jack stand or a tire rim.

For oil changes I just bought some boards out of the scrap bin at the lumber yard and just drive up on them, just a few extra inches gives me room for the pan, but low enough to avoid splashes and wind blowing the drips. I still always use a wheel chock.

This is my procedure.

Drive vehicle up on 12,000lb rhino ramps
Set the parking brake and put wheel chocks behind the rear tires
Put jack stands under the side of the vehicle im working on just in case.

Some people might save the 2 minutes it takes to do the last 2 steps and say its over the top, however, it could also save you're life. Especially if you do maintenance outside or in a garage by yourself. Harbor Freight has good prices on aluminum jack stands and chocks when you catch them on sale and use coupons. There always seems to be a few stories every year of a person dying from their car falling on them.

My Forester is tall enough that I could do oil changes without the ramps, but it's a lot more pleasant when using them. If I were to be working on something with much lower clearance, heck yes I would use jack stands along with the ramps.

Just the ramps, even with my Grand Marquis and Crown Vic. If I have to put some significant torque on something under there I would add the stands and/or a jack. I've thought instead of jack stands just rolling a small hydraulic jack under there, which is easier than setting up the stands and would only be for backup in case a ramp failed, so I think the hydraulic jack would likely do the trick in an emergency. I'm under there like 2 minutes when changing oil so if something fails during that period I will be terribly unlucky.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
For oil changes I just bought some boards out of the scrap bin at the lumber yard and just drive up on them, just a few extra inches gives me room for the pan, but low enough to avoid splashes and wind blowing the drips. I still always use a wheel chock.
This is the cheapest and safest ramp there is. I run my 528e up on a pair of 2' long 2x8s to drain the oil and filter.

When I bought my 330ci I got sick of the convoluted dance I had to do to jack it up to maintain it. I bit the bullet and bought a ez car lift (www.ezcarlift.com) and have not regretted it. That Bimmer is gone but the lift remains and I have used it on all kinds of cars. It's so nice not fretting lifting cars anymore, just roll the lift under the car, line everything up, get a drill and lift it.
I do use hydraulic jacks and stands on my pickups when necessary but lifting and using jack stands on them is a piece of cake.

I've driven up on a set of older Rhino ramps with a F350. As I set the parking brake, the truck dropped. The front bumper stop on the ramps peeled off and the wheel dropped and tipped the whole ramp up and into the rocker panel.

Don't use ramps with full size pickups. The ramps are rated for more than the weight of my truck but still collapsed right before I went under the vehicle. No ramps for me.

I add jack stands if any more than my arm is under the vehicle. If I am going under the vehicle, it is not uncommon for me to have it supported by jack stands all the way around with ramps underneath and a random jack stuck in near my body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back