Volvo recommends Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago I bought a 2015 Volvo S60 T5 to replace my best girl's 2012 S60 T5. "T5" used to indicate a turbocharged 5-cylinder engine, but not any longer. Now the T5 has a 2.0L turbocharged 4-cylinder setup called "Drive-E." It is designed to be more fuel efficient, and its features include shutting off the engine when the car is stopped with a foot on the brake pedal. When you remove your foot from the brake the engine starts instantly. Sounds weird but it works well, and the feature can be bypassed by pressing a button or putting the transmission in sport mode. So far this S60 one is getting about 10% better fuel economy than the 2012 model.

Apparently a couple years ago Volvo worked with Castrol and developed a new synthetic oil for the Drive-E engine. It's called Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20, and these engines come from Sweden with that oil as the factory fill. I understand it is the only oil that meets Volvo standard VCC RBS0-2AE. However, this oil is unavailable in the US, even for the Volvo dealers. The Castrol EDGE 0W-20 sold in the US does not meet the new Volvo standard. The Volvo manual calls for 10,000-mile oil change intervals, with free service until 40,000 miles. I’ve had one oil change already but I’m not sure which oil the dealer used. When they serviced my 2012 model they used Castrol GTX 5W-30 at 7,500-mile intervals. But the manual on the new car stipulates synthetic oil only. I learned on the Swedespeed forum that Volvo dealers in the US are likely using Castrol EDGE 5W-30 in their service departments. The manual shows that 0W-30, 5W-30, or 0W-20 are acceptable for the 4-cylinder engine.

My girl puts on a lot of miles for work, so we’ll probably use up the free service period by the end of the year. When I start doing the oil changes myself I’ll probably use Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30, which is what I used in the 2012 Volvo and I have a case of it in the garage.

Anybody have any insider knowledge of this elusive Castrol oil, or know what’s different about Volvo standard VCC RBS0-2AE?

Here’s the page out of my manual:
15127437336_38fbe42470_b.jpg

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
Anybody have any insider knowledge of this elusive Castrol oil, or know what’s different about Volvo standard VCC RBS0-2AE?

Don't know what it entails, but it appears to only be recommended for extreme driving conditions. How does Volvo define "extreme driving conditions"?

Otherwise, looks like any ACEA A5/B5 oil will do.

Interesting that it says for the 4-cyl engines (still turbos): ".....0W20 is recommended for extreme driving conditions.

Not only for better fuel economy or "offers adequate protection" as many here would have you believe all XW20 recommendations are saddled with. What VCC RBSO-2AE consists of? No idea.

I think you'd be fine using an A5/B5 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
They have recommended Castrol for a while now, my 2004 S60R had "Volvo recommends Castrol" on the oil fill cap.

Marketing deal, same as with other manufacturers....

Looking at the 5W30 versus 0W30 recommendation, they seem to be implying "extreme" as "cold".

5W30 - normaal
0W30 - extreme, and a bar extension to the left (cold).

4 cylinder "extreme", I would take as 4 cylinder in "cold", as opposed to Sahara.

And clearly, it provides "inadequate" protection in the "never to be used" in 5 or 6 cylinder engines...

Its a unique 0W-20, one reason the minimum HTHS for the spec is 2.75cP rather than 2.6cP and the huge amount of testing carried out on it by Volvo

As said - its best to try and find the correct oil. It should be in the USA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Its a unique 0W-20, one reason the minimum HTHS for the spec is 2.75cP rather than 2.6cP and the huge amount of testing carried out on it by Volvo

LOL, another subset in the J300 problem...a 0W25 (HTHS minimum wise)

Originally Posted By: weasley
The Castrol Professional product should be available, but it is pretty new so may not have filtered out to all dealers.

Here's the link to the USA PDS.

I agree it should be available, but so far it doesn't seem to be available at all in the US. The only places I see it for sale is some European websites and occasionally on Ebay, but it's priced at $20 or more per liter. I'm going to contact Castrol USA and see what their plans are. They came out with this oil two years ago and the US is the biggest market for Volvos, so there's no good reason for not selling it in the States.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

LOL, another subset in the J300 problem...a 0W25 (HTHS minimum wise)

It's not related to J300, it's related to the specific OEM specs and highlights why they are important when the OEM calls for them. Just sticking in any 0W-20 will cause potential issues.

There are many OEM specs with similar quirks. Eg BMW LL01 FE is a 3.0 min HTHS

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
I'm going to contact Castrol USA and see what their plans are.

Hmmm. I checked the Canadian site, and it shows it as available, but no product code listed, and specific cautions about handling drums. Perhaps this is intended to be a bulk only product, at least in Canada. If you get nowhere with Castrol in the States, try Wakefield Canada. They may at least be able to give you some sort of answer.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Hmmm. I checked the Canadian site, and it shows it as available, but no product code listed, and specific cautions about handling drums. Perhaps this is intended to be a bulk only product, at least in Canada. If you get nowhere with Castrol in the States, try Wakefield Canada. They may at least be able to give you some sort of answer.

Thanks. I drive up to Montreal a couple times a year, so maybe I could buy some on my next trip.

I'm pretty certain Wakefield has a Montreal office, too. I just hope they don't want you to buy a drum. That might be a little inconvenient.
wink.gif
Wakefield is starting to push 60 litre kegs up here, too, so maybe that's another one of their plans.

I found a table that a guy created on the Swedespeed forum, comparing the Professional V 0W-20 to the Edge A5-rated 5W-30 that some Volvo dealers use, plus the numbers from a couple of popular synthetic 0W-30 oils that are A5 rated.

15244925829_35bd064f2d_o.jpg

Joel, for this nice new car with start/stop system I would use ONLY the recommended oil.
If I were you...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zoli
Joel, for this nice new car with start/stop system I would use ONLY the recommended oil.
If I were you...

Well, I agree with your sentiment but at this time it seems impractical to do so. My dealer is doing the next three oil changes free of charge and it appears this oil is unavailable in the US.

What is the purpose of that table.

The CCS seems to be at -30 for a 0W-30 rather than the correct -35. At -30 it would be about 2300cP if you did want to compare

A table is for easy comparison of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back