Mobil Delvac SAE 50 compatable manul trans oils???

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so after "sticking it out" literally for a couple months with the straight delvac sae 50 in my manual G56 (2009 Dodge 2500) I need to cut the delvac 50 with something to make it easier to shift. I'm thinking of mixing it 1 out of 8 qts or 2 out of 8 qts?

From what I've read I've narrowed it down to the following:
1) Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission
-I'm leaning towards this as my 1st choice as I've heard good things about the Amsoil but not sure if it's compatible with delvac 50?

2) pensoil synchromesh
-Supposedly better than the RP but not sure how good or if it's compatible with delvac 50?

3) Royal purple synchromax
- Heard this stuff is compatible BUT shears real fast and does not last long?

Any experience with mixing any of this stuff or any in depth knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
We used to sell the Mobiltrans SHC DC. It is no longer available. There are several blends that people are using. There is a guy on TDR that has had success with his blend. Several hundred thousand miles on each truck in his fleet. Have you looked there?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Why not just dump it altogether and put in the recommended viscosity grade?

Because the oil recommended by Dodge is at odds with the manufacturer of the transmission. A lot of guys who tow heavy with a G56 have worn out their transmissions when using the recommended ATF.

To the OP: have you seen this "superthread" on the Cummins Forum: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/07-5-0...ot-atf-4-a.html

It takes a long time to read that thread because there are so many replies, but there are a lot of different options. Some guys have had luck mixing different oils. On mine I used seven quarts of Amsoil MTG 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. It is slightly stiff on a cold morning but shifts fine and the stiffness goes away after a few minutes of driving.

Lubegard

Top off the transmission with the above Lubegard additive so that you can continue to use the SAE50 for a while.

If you don't want to use the ATF, then moving up to the synchromesh STF/MTF/MTL/MTF2 type fluids is a start. 75w80, 75w85, 75w90, then SAE50. SAE50 would probably work well in a hotter worked transmission.

Since SAE50 Delvac is ~17.5cst and not a multigrade, I would definitely step down to a GL4 75w90 or even a 75w85. Amsoil, Redline, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Hyundai, Mitsubishi... have a fluid for you.

The NP435 in my truck originally called for 50w oil. Reading stuff from newer specs and rebuilder recommendations, I chose 80w90 gear oil. I don't know what was in there before, or how long it was in there, but the trans shifts so much better. It used to be a huge chore to go from 2nd to 3rd every time. It's not super slick shifting, but for an almost 50 year old transmission, it's pretty good! I bet there is something better to put in your transmission. Check the redline website's application guide and see what they have to say.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
SAE 50 is too thick, nor formulated for synchro.
The fluids you've mentioned are too thin.

There's a happy medium...

Originally Posted By: 2009ram2500
Any experience with mixing any of this stuff

Do not mix fluids. Completely drain what's currently in there.

Refill with this: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7

I agree with this. That is Redline's 75W90, which has a KV100 of 15.6 cSt, equivalent to a 40-weight engine oil.

I have Motul MOTYLGEAR 75W90 in my G56 and it shifts great at any temperature. I had MT90 in it at one point and that worked good also.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Does this transmission spec "powershift" or MT1 fluids?

Dodge called for ATF+4.
The transmission manufacturer called for this: https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.13_en.html

Obviously, these two are fundamentally disparate.

Hmm ...... the transmission manufacturer is calling for powershift transmission oil in Mobiltrans SHC DC which is a monograde SAE 50.

Any ATF's and MTL's quoted here is too thin for this.

Perhaps OP should consider its equivalent in Cat TDTO SAE 50 ......... a transmission oil I suppose should be easily available throughout not only in N America , but the planet.
blush.gif

Note: OP may cut it down by blending with Cat TDTO SAE 30 if need be.

Last edited:
Commercial vehicles and pickups have different requirements.
I wouldn't blindly quote a Mercedes fluid recommendation, as its commercial vehicle operating range, engines, vehicle weights, airflow around case, cooling, and euro driving patterns are different.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Why not just dump it altogether and put in the recommended viscosity grade?

To the OP: have you seen this "superthread" on the Cummins Forum: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/07-5-0...ot-atf-4-a.html

I've read all 56 pages of it and that is why I decided to go with the SAE50 because I live in Southern California but it's sticking and I'm afraid I'm prematurely wearing my synchros.

In the thread the guy recommends 8qts, 6 SAE50 & 2 Royal Purple Synchromesh. I have also read on other forums where the straight RP synchromesh shears really fast like 25K miles and so I'm a little hesitant to add it and that is why I'm looking for Synchro oil that I can mix with the SAE50.

I'm not throwing out $80 worth of SAE50 that has 3K miles on it so replacing is not an option for me draining 2 qts and mixing in 2 is.

Again, does anybody know if any of the 3 original oils are compatible to mix or have similar base stocks? The super thread does mention the RP is the same base stock as the SAE50 but it's the internet so I', not 100% confident on that.

OR....Does anyone recommend 1 over the other 2 for mixing in this set up and have any actual knowledge or any experience doing this that could help make my decision before I drop another $50 on RP synchromesh that may not be so great.

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Lubegard
Top off the transmission with the above Lubegard additive so that you can continue to use the SAE50 for a while.

Does the SAE50 have no synchro additives and that is why it's sticking? (I've posted this question on the Cummings Forum and was told it's a viscosity issue not the additive package or lack there of).

How does this lube guard compare to the 3 oils I originally posted?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: 2009ram2500
Does the SAE50 have no synchro additives and that is why it's sticking? (I've posted this question on the Cummings Forum and was told it's a viscosity issue not the additive package or lack there of).
How does this lube guard compare to the 3 oils I originally posted?
Thanks

This completely makes no sense , as Mobiltrans Delvac 50 has G56 manufacturer approvals.

Synchro additives, or lack of it , is never an issue here.

What manufacturer? the transmission manufacturer? or the vehicle manufacturer? fluid manufacturer? and is it even the same transmission?

The Lubegard additive is simply going to thin out your SAE50. If your shifting issue is reduced, than change it out and use a thinner MT fluid.

Also, start with the recommended capacity for your transmission model. Don't blindly overfill by 1 or 2 quarts, or whatever the fad is.

So does anybody know if these oils have the same base stocks or are compatible to mix with Delvac SAE50?

1) Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission

2) pensoil synchromesh

3) Royal purple synchromax

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back