Mobil 1 vs fram ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they are both rated to 15,000 miles. Not sure why the Mobil is heavier, but I would just go with whichever one you can get for cheaper.

Mobil 1 Filter
Fram Ultra Filter

Both State they are good for 15k mile OCs. Both are very good filters. I haven't personally used the M1 EP filter but I hear good things. The FU is a very good filter and I have used it and seen it used with no problems. Maybe others can speak for the M1EP a little more. Also the FU is consistently cheaper than the M1EP. I also can not find info on M1s website about the actual filter efficiency and the fact that the filter media is a synthetic blend. Frams site states that they have 99% filtration and use dual layer synthetic media.

Last edited:
mobil says
Mobil 1™ fully synthetic motor oil. In fact, Mobil 1 oil filters provide up to 15,000 miles of guaranteed protection when used with synthetic motor oil.

so on dino oil its no good, or just no guarantee?

In the FAQ on their site it says to "Can I use Mobil 1Extended Performance OIl FIlters with conventional motor oil?", "Absolutely. We recommend that you use Mobil 1™ synthetic oil to get maximum protection for your engine, but the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter is fully compatible with conventional motor oils."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
mobil says
Mobil 1™ fully synthetic motor oil. In fact, Mobil 1 oil filters provide up to 15,000 miles of guaranteed protection when used with synthetic motor oil.

up to 15,000 miles up to 15,000 miles
up to 15,000 miles up to 15,000 miles up to 15,000 miles up to 15,000 miles up to 15,000 miles

Originally Posted By: CT8
mobil says

up to 15,000 miles up to 15,000 miles
up to 15,000 miles up to 15,000 miles up to 15,000 miles up to 15,000 miles up to 15,000 miles

UP TO UP TO UP TO UP TO UP TO UP TO UP TO
15,000 MILES

18.gif
crackmeup2.gif
wink.gif

Both are good filters, and the M1 is made by Fram.

The M1 might have more media or just a thicker can. You may also be able to get M1 filters on clearance at Rock Auto. If not, then the Ultra would be the way to go. It comes down to price.

There's also the Fram Pro Synthetic on eBay. Exact same as the Ultra but without the texture grip at the end. It's mainly targeted to shops/jobbers. Replace XG with FPS for the part number. For example, FPS3614.

I have used both but have no good way to say which is better. You can find Mobil 1 cheaper by using Advance Auto Code discounts or on Amazon sometimes. I would compare it to saying which is better Mobil 1 oil or Penzoil Platinum. Both are very good and will do very well in most applications.

I was looking at Mobil 1 and Fram UG filters tonight at a local store. The UG's were $7.95 and the Mobil 1's were being cleared out and marked at $6.00. Must have been 50-100 of them in approx a dozen sizes (M1 111, 211, etc.) None for my cars though.

The Fram Ultra is the superior filter & also cheaper unless you find a nice deal on M1 filters.

Both are good for 15,000 miles.

The Fram has 100% dual layered synthetic media versus synthetic blended media on the Mobil 1.

Not sure if the filtering effeciency of the Mobil 1 is available anywhere but the Fram Ultra is 99% @ 20 microns, pretty good if you ask me.

The Fram Ultra is by far the better value & basically the better filter. I'd only use the Mobil 1 over the Ultra if you could find the Mobil 1 cheaper, & that's not likely.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
There's also the Fram Pro Synthetic on eBay. Exact same as the Ultra but without the texture grip at the end. It's mainly targeted to shops/jobbers. Replace XG with FPS for the part number. For example, FPS3614.

I looked on eBay & can't find the Pro Series Frams any cheaper than regular Frams are at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

I looked on eBay & can't find the Pro Series Frams any cheaper than regular Frams are at Walmart.

Try looking again. There's the Fram Pro Series (white can) and the Fram Pro Series Synthetic (gold can). More or less, the Pro=Extra Guard while the Pro Synthetic=Ultra.

Here: http://www.framproseries.com/program.html

are they both good for 15k, and why is the mobil so much heavier?

How much heavier? For the same fitment, please. In grams.

Originally Posted By: LotI

Are you serious!?!

To know that one would have to buy both and weigh them.

I'll make you a deal. Buy an ultra, m1 and Bosch d+, mail them to me return postage paid, and ill weigh them on a certified scale and send them back.

It appears that other people's money is no object for you, so lets see if your own is.

BTW, the D+ is much heavier than the ultra too.

How much in pounds?
Enough to tell the difference, that's how much.

I have two identical 2014 SUV's and am using the same oil in both but a Ultra and Mobil filter in each. I plan to cut them open and see. However from a cost standpoint I can get the Ultra cheaper and I think I'll just stick with those for all my cars until Fram screws them up.

Originally Posted By: meborder
Originally Posted By: LotI

Are you serious!?!

To know that one would have to buy both and weigh them.

I'll make you a deal. Buy an ultra, m1 and Bosch d+, mail them to me return postage paid, and ill weigh them on a certified scale and send them back.

It appears that other people's money is no object for you, so lets see if your own is.

BTW, the D+ is much heavier than the ultra too.

How much in pounds?
Enough to tell the difference, that's how much.

Laden or Unladen and African or European...

You have to know these things when you're a king, you know. ...

Anyhow.

I don't have an M1 sitting around, but I can weigh some of the others, though I'm not sure it is of a great deal of value. Having cut apart all of the mentioned filters... I'd use which ever I could put my hands on cheapest, which is usually the Ultra, Priced Equally - Ultra...

Yeah, unless you have a race motor running 100 psi oil pressure at speed, I doubt either will pop or balloon ... They are both good, just get what's available locally and cruise on
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back