Changing from Dino to Synthetic Oil after 100K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a used 2011 Flex AWD with EcoBoost 3.5 engine and 108K miles. The previous owner gave me the service records and I found that her first Ford dealer was using a synthetic blend, 5W-30 for the first 43,000 miles. The owner then moved and her new Ford dealer used the standard, all Dino, 5W-30 oil at each oil change (ranged from 5000 to 7500 miles between changes)up to 108,000 miles.

I would like to switch to synthetic oil, but am not sure it that is wise at this point. Will I be subjecting the engine to any problems due to the sludge build up from the standard Dino oil? If I make the switch, I would appreciate your thoughts on what oil to use in this 3.5 EcoBoost engine.

Thanks,
JLaz

Hi Jlaz, nice to see you posting.
That's a myth that you can't or shouldn't change to synthetic. Its never too late. Changing to a full syn is always a good idea. .... Sure the engine probably has some extra internal deposits, but it will be gradually cleaned out of their if you go with 6-month or 7,000 mile oil changes on synthetics. Just gently and gradually reduced over time.
At least go with a "dexos1" rated oil. Basic, low specs for engine oil are SN & GF-5, but you can step up to the tougher oil specs with dexos1, and you could go further by using "Extended Performance" full synthetic oils like Mobil1 Exten Perf or Castrol Edge Exten Perf (gold jugs at Walmart). As for oil filters, the Fram Ultra has the best filtering media, or the unique mail-order-only Microgreen oil filter offers even finer particle removal.

Last edited:
That is still a relatively low mileage/new-ish car. I'd think you'd be OK and would want to run synthetic with a turbo. I'd probably do it. Of course, I'm not familiar with these engines, so I don't know if there are any specific downsides.

Oil, dino or synth are FANTASTIC these days. Roughly 10 years ago when the API SL rating came out, dino oils were all you needed if you change your oil every 5k. We're currently at SN... 2 generations later.

Stick to what the dealer was doing... dino change at 5-7.5k and feel free to buy the cheapest name brand dino SN rated oil that you find on sale.

How many miles will you run before changing? If its still in the 5-6k mark then I would lean toward a semi-syn or a high mileage semi syn oil. Valvoline Maxlife si a Semi-syn and has worked well for me and many others for example. Castrols HM oil is also semi-syn.

Done it many times, there are no issues with an engine that has been adequately maintained. You might have to shorten the intervals a bit like I have in order to clean things up, but nothing dramatic...

How does someone put that many miles on a vehicle that fast?

To the OP:

I was under the impression that Ford required a full synthetic or synthetic blend oil in their Ecoboost engines?

Motorcraft's oil is a good oil. Do you know what brand the dealership using if it is a dino? Odd. You can buy Motorcraft syn blend and filters at Walmart now a days. If you want to DIY I would continue to use that. Seems to be working nicely for your car.

In regards to sludge, I wouldn't sweat it. As mentioned in earlier posts,SN oils are great at cleaning.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Motorcraft's oil is a good oil. Do you know what brand the dealership using if it is a dino? Odd. You can buy Motorcraft syn blend and filters at Walmart now a days. If you want to DIY I would continue to use that. Seems to be working nicely for your car.

In regards to sludge, I wouldn't sweat it. As mentioned in earlier posts,SN oils are great at cleaning.

Most dealers use what is cheapest to stock in bulk. My local ford dealer uses QS conventional. My local Toyota dealer uses Mobil Super conventional for all grades except 0w20. The 0w20 is and automatic upgrade to M1 in quality and price.

OP run a Full Synthetic 5w30 in that Ecoboost. If it were mine I'd do 5k mile OCI because it is turbo charged and Direct Injected.

Last edited:
You can always go with a high mileage full synthetic if you're worried about the affects of full synthetic on the seals. Valvoline makes their Maxlife in a full synthetic version.

I would use full synthetic in a turbo charged engine, in this cas I would do 2-3 shorten OCI's(oil change intervals) about 4-5k miles to clean up whatever left in the engine after so many dino oil changes, then extend OCI to 7-8k miles but no more than once a year.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

I assume it was a Motocraft Dino oil. The dealer's part number is: X05W30DSP. If this is a common number, maybe someone might recognize it. They told me it was standard oil, but I did not ask the brand.

J

Dude. Your engine won't have any sludge from the 5k conventional (which is Syn Blend anyways...) changes. None. Zilch. Zero. Stop stressing out about it and put whatever you feel like into it. Don't listen to the [censored] about running short OCI with Syn to "clean it out" because there's nothing to clean out. Run Maxlife if you are worried about any ill effects of switching to Syn, but in the end, just do whatever will make you sleep better at night.

Last edited:
I switched my Fusion from conventional to full synthetic at 107,000 miles and I've had no trouble. Do it, it won't cause any problems. It will only help. Maybe shorten your oil change interval to 5,000 miles on the first couple changes then go to a longer interval after that(7,500 maybe)

When I had my old '95 Acura, it was run on conventional 5W-30 for the first 125k of its life (12 years), and I eventually started using synthetic oil with no issues/leaks/consumption/etc. I also switched to using a synthetic in my '08 Scion after over 100k miles and again, no notable issues or differences. I do not know what the previous owner used, but judging by a bit of varnish I saw under the filler cap, probably a conventional.

Originally Posted By: JLaz
I just purchased a used 2011 Flex AWD with EcoBoost 3.5 engine and 108K miles. The previous owner gave me the service records and I found that her first Ford dealer was using a synthetic blend, 5W-30 for the first 43,000 miles. The owner then moved and her new Ford dealer used the standard, all Dino, 5W-30 oil at each oil change (ranged from 5000 to 7500 miles between changes)up to 108,000 miles.

I would like to switch to synthetic oil, but am not sure it that is wise at this point. Will I be subjecting the engine to any problems due to the sludge build up from the standard Dino oil? If I make the switch, I would appreciate your thoughts on what oil to use in this 3.5 EcoBoost engine.

Thanks,
JLaz

You can use a full synthetic if u want.
My suggestion is to definitely stay with at least 5w30 with a turbo or go up to a 40. Maxlife semi synthetic or full synthetic would be a great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back