Fluid for Aisin AW55-51SN (2005 Volvo XC70)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vehicle has 94.5K miles on it (just bought it). Likely has the original fluid (volvo specifies "lifetime" factory fill, haha), which still has some red hue left in its brownish color and does not smell burnt. I think we're still at a safe place to begin this tranny on fresh fluids/cleanup.

I intend to do a drain-n-fill (which should get about 30-40% of the fluid) at 95K, and and start an ARX treatment at that time. At 100K I intend to do a flush using the low pressure tranny-cooler method made popular by volvo DIYers (can be seen demonstrated on youtube).

For that whole operation (drain and fill, followed by a drain-n-fill-n-flush) I'll probably be needing ~20 quarts of fluid, so price is a concern here but if there is a quality difference here I'm willing to cough it up.

Amalie Universal Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (just under ~$6/qt on amazon, might be able to source it from a local tranny shop for less).

or

Mobile 3309 ATF (just under ~$6/qt on amazon)

or

Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF (~$4.40/qt from walmart)

I'm leaning towards the Amalie fluid, especially if I can source it locally for less. What would you use? Anything else I should have on my short list?

I'm somewhat hesitant on the Maxlife, as they mention in their application PDF that they have had reports of issues with this fluid in an Aisin 6 speed tranny, though I'm not sure how similar these transmissions are.

Thanks,
Eric

I've used the Mobil 3309 (Toyota T-IV is the same stuff) exclusively for 100,000 miles in each of the Volvos in my signature. Works great. Don't know how well Maxlife works in this transmission- but I would stick with the Mobil 3309 or the Toyota T-IV...based on 200,000 miles of success...

What are the requirements for the transmission fluid from Volvo, for your vehicle?

Are the requirements for the old Dexron/Mercon? Or is it for Toyota IV fluid?

Hello Michaelluscher,

http://www.valvoline.com/valint/international/english/static_document/MaxLife_ATF_Rev_2013.08.08.pdf

---------

Astro14,

Thank you for sharing your experience, that is very helpful!

---------

Mongo161,

Volvo specifies JWS 3309 for this transmission, same as it calls for on other applications, but there is obviously a lot of overlapping and equivalent "branded" specifications for ATF's. As previously mentioned, Toyota T-IV is the same fluid, and upon observing a typical application list for many of these universal and highly regarded fluids, its pretty obvious that this is an issue of "many-names for the same thing."

-----------

----------

In case I was not originally clear on this point. The Amalie fluid is indeed made for this application, as well as nearly any other ATF application on the planet. It's very highly regarded by the best tranny shop here locally, it's pretty much all they use in anything.

Last edited:
Hello, I have owned 2 of these transmissions. My family & friends own and have owned 5 more.
They're in Saabs, Volvos and Toyotas.
I've drain & filled them all.
Some "inherited" fluid was red and clear.
Some was brown and lumpy (I swear).
After asking all the same questions I have used:
Mobil 3309 (happy discovery in Virginia)
Wolf's Head Super Universal Synthetic Transmission Fluid (what I buy now)
Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Dex-MercLV (AutoZone had a GREAT sale so I bought a carload)
Toyota Type-IV (bought 2 cases from a dealership 'cause I got good price)

To clean systems I add 1 oz. LubeGard (red bottle) to every quart of system volume. Thanks go out to BITOGers who turned me onto the stuff.

I'm so happy I can't tell you! Kira

I tried the TIV/3309 fluid in my 2005 S60 and it felt sluggish, definately different than OE fluid. I then tried the Amsoil ATF, it was flawless and felt like new. Highly recommend it.

Kira,

I'm under the impression that Wolf Head and Amalie are the same fluid. Are you using this now because you believe it to be superior or was it just an availability/pricing thing?

The Valvoline stuff is by far the least expensive. Are you aware of any consequence in quality for that low price?

I was originally planning on ARX to do some cleanup before a total flush. Adding this lubeguard stuff to the oil after that cleanup and flush sounds like a good idea to me. I seem to recall that lubeguard stuff being touted by another local tranny shop.

---------

Tones,

If you don't mind me prodding, what specific oil (brand) was it that you thought felt sluggish? T-IV and 3309 are just oil specifications. Obviously, the amsoil you chose to use is also likely 3309 and T-IV spec oil.

Amsoil has 2 different fluids for this application.

Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic.
Which would cost about $200 for the amount I need.

Or

OE Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Which would cost about $150 for the amount I need.

Not sure I'm going to be willing to spend that sort of money on this project.

I have that AW55 transmission in my Saab, and I have the Aisin 6-speed in my Volvo. You can use any of those three fluids you listed in your Volvo, or any other ATF that meets Aisin's JWS 3309 specification. I use Amsoil Multi-Vehicle synthetic ATF in my Saab. The Aisin 6-speed uses a lower viscosity fluid that meets the Aisin AW-1 spec, so Valvoline MaxLife would not be a good choice for that.

I just spoke with the owner of the most reputable tranny shop around these parts by a long shot. He uses amalie products in his shop (buys by the 55 gallon drum), could sell to me if I brought in some empty containers, but said the Valvoline maxlife is going to be just as good in this application, and that these Aisin 5 speeds are not ultra picky about minor discrepancies in fluid type (as long as it is a T-IV/3309 compatible fluid). His main concern was making sure it was full synthetic fluid to help keep the valve body clean. He also said that lubeguard is not useful in this application, as it is just a friction modifier that this transmission does not need. It is not a cleaner.

Last edited:
To clarify, I used Toyota T-IV fluid and it did not shift right. I then used Amsoil product number 'ATF' fluid and it was like it was when I bought it new.

Last edited:
I recently flushed the earlier model AW30-40 4-speed transmission in our Volvo 960 using Mobil 3309 and I'm very happy with the result. The vehicle was new-to-us and the service records indicated it had been previously flushed at an independent shop, but they didn't indicate what fluid was used.

The 3309 returned it to excellent shift quality.

Originally Posted By: mdocod
I just spoke with the owner of the most reputable tranny shop around these parts by a long shot. He uses amalie products in his shop (buys by the 55 gallon drum), could sell to me if I brought in some empty containers, but said the Valvoline maxlife is going to be just as good in this application, and that these Aisin 5 speeds are not ultra picky about minor discrepancies in fluid type (as long as it is a T-IV/3309 compatible fluid). His main concern was making sure it was full synthetic fluid to help keep the valve body clean. He also said that lubeguard is not useful in this application, as it is just a friction modifier that this transmission does not need. It is not a cleaner.

LubeGard "RED" is primarily a cleaner with extra anti-oxidants.

Any of the other LubeGard products are "conversion" fluids which contain additional friction modifiers. I would not use any of these conversion fluids.

I would also NOT use ARX as a cleaner in ATs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wgtoys
I recently flushed the earlier model AW30-40 4-speed transmission in our Volvo 960 using Mobil 3309 and I'm very happy with the result. The vehicle was new-to-us and the service records indicated it had been previously flushed at an independent shop, but they didn't indicate what fluid was used.

The 3309 returned it to excellent shift quality.

While you might get decent performance out of other fluids the car maker actually did extensive testing with 3309 in this vehicle and others and you will get the exact performance and durability from the unit that the manufacturer intended, which is usually excellent.

I used Maxlife multi-vehicle synthetic. So far it shifts fine. It's a 3309/T-IV compliant fluid.

Last edited:
I use Mobil 3309 in 4 V70 wagons. Cooler line exchange every 20k, drain and fill every 10k. They shift like butter. Amazon delivers Mobil 3309 for $6/qt, RMEuropean in Colorado delivers Aisin 3309 for $5.85/qt and the Pennzoil High Mileage Full Syn ATF with JWS 3309 approval (not recommendation) is $5.75/qt at PepBoys. I also run a Dimple Magnetic drain plug which always has black metallic sluge at each drain. I have no idea if the Dimple Magnet helps.

As a note I recently changed the 1993 245 over to the Pennzoil Full Syn mentioned above. The 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are now imperceptible and the initial shudder at start up is gone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back