For those who have never used RP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shears.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Royal Purple SHEERS.

I put RP in a manual transmission, I did have better shifts during the coldest days of winter, but it sheered down to liquidity water in 30k. Just wow.

Will never join the Royal Purple Cult
I am a member of the Whatever is on Sale club and it makes my engine smoooth

I've used M1 since the late 70s and have always been pleased with the performance, especially after all the miles I put on a vehicle.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

i dont like long oci
i dont like synthetic i use hm conventional when possible
any oil i put in my car leaks out

I've actually used Royal Purple engine oil so I will limit my answer to just gear oil.

Many scooter guys swear by Royal Purple gear oil in the final drive.

I use Mobil 1.

I honestly don't see Royal Purple providing any protection that the less expensive Mobil 1 doesn't. The wording in the manual says you can use either engine oil or gear oil. If engine oil will protect it, gear oil should be fine. Either way it's just a few ounces a change so a quart will last a long time

Originally Posted By: deven
Why do you hate it?

Any approvals for VW, MB, BMW? NO, and it is not expensive to get one, granted if it can meet their specs.

I've come to love M1 EP oil and M1 0w-40, pretty sure I'll never stray from them unless they went up drastically in price.

No hate.

They don't run rebates like Mobil 1 bringing down the price of 5Q to $26 (walmart) - $12(rebate) = $14 for 5Qt. That's less than $3/qt and usually lasts me the year (2x5qt rebate each time).

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Yep.

Why pay twice as much as Mobil 1 0W40 that performs so very well in my V-12?
32 Packard 15W40
90 4Runner 10W40 QS4X4
92 300E 5W40 LiquiMoly
02 Volvo V70 T5 0W40 M1
02 Volvo V70 XC 5W30 PU
05 MB S600 0W40 M1
06 Corolla 5W30 Edge

Do you get a fleet discount on insurance?

Last edited:
large-friends-front.jpg

Unless it contains unicorn blood (and the VOA's I have seen indicate that it does not), there is simply no reason to pay the premium for RP over other comparable API approved synthetics.

I'm sure it's a perfectly good oil otherwise

Originally Posted By: deven
Why do you hate it?

Why are you a fan boy of it?

Has it given you better results than a comparable synthetic?

I've run their power steering fluid, gear lubes, and purple ice and they performed OK for me. But their gear lube didn't prevent the outboard axle bearings in my Camaro from wearing out in 50k miles. But neither did Red Line.

Just haven't gotten around to running their engine oil in the Camaro, and probably won't because I've got about a 2-year stash of Pennzoil. If I did run RP engine oil, it would probably be their High Mileage stuff with the Synerlec additive.

Bought it once on sale, $49.99 for 5 qts and filter; a savings of $40 according to my receipt.
Put it in the car expecting to run faster and jump higher because it had Synerlec.
It ran like, oil.
Then I found that is wasn't API certified or something and I was still under warranty. Not good.
Then this boutique company was bought by Camulet.
Then it became API certified, SN; which meant the zinc and phosphorus were taken way down and I started calling it Syner-lack or RP Lite.
The racing version or HPS still has the higher level of Synerlec, it's what we remember, but it can't meet SN standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back