Phobias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bradepb
Same for being in a traffic jam or stuck on a bridge to a lesser degree. I just do not like situations where I cannot "escape"

Same here, absolutely.

---------------------------

I generally don't like underground parking garages. They really screw up my sense of direction and are claustrophobic so I tend to get really ansty if I have to drive into one.

I may also be developing a problem with bridges. Driving home from Florida last year, I had a near-panic attack driving over a bridge on 295E around Jacksonville. It just seemed VERY narrow and VERY tall to me, like the ascent up the first hill on a roller coaster, and the guardrails seemed VERY short. I was joking about it with my wife at the time but I was screaming on the inside and willing myself to not slow down or pull over. Not fun.

I have CVJ phobia.

Did I add enough CV grease to my CV joints in my 4-wheel drive?

Personal space is interesting. Usually you can observe the other person's response as to how he or she feels about it.

I used to think my neighbor was getting too close to me when she spoke to me. Later, I found out she simply had a hearing loss for male speech frequencies.

Last edited:
I wouldn't really call them phobias, but the closest things I have to phobias is I hate bugs, and I'm not afraid of heights, I just don't trust ladders (taller ones, like 12-15+ feet) I'll still go up them if I need to, I'm just not happy about it lol. Some people can fly up and down them

Not really a phobia...but I also suffer from social anxiety disorder.

Not all the time....but quite often I just can't handle people too close to me and crowded situations.

Malls, theaters, work gatherings....they can just cause me to want to get the heck away.

I guess that's why I love big, open spaces with little population. Drives me nuts where I live as it's crowded. Not much I can do given my job situation.

Oh yes....I also would NEVER get into a hot tub with anybody other than my partner...it's soon gross to me to even contemplate it!

andrewg, that puts the flip-floppers ... in a new light. still, just like you, don't like smelly "hooves" while eating.
i hate dirty toilets. especially now that i have girls...
hate chilly smells (former busboy/dishwasher)
and the smell after a party (smoke + beer + stale air)

Originally Posted By: abycat
gotta be a canucks fan. I think even the leafs have won a cup. Might have been 30 plus years ago.

The Leafs certainly have, but I think that last person who was alive to see it was Harold Ballard.
wink.gif
Yes, I enjoy giving Leafs fans a hard time.

I have the phobia of mixing oils, as we discussed here before.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I don't like crowds or dealing with people at times. Hence why I prefer shopping super early/ late and self checkouts.

That pretty much sums it up.
This is me as well.

^^^^^^

Went shopping at Wal-Mart this past Monday at 8:30am and it was a pleasant shopping experience. No crowds, lots of stockers replacing the Sunday wipeout. Two of them actually SMILED and said good morning.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
andrewg, that puts the flip-floppers ... in a new light. still, just like you, don't like smelly "hooves" while eating.
i hate dirty toilets. especially now that i have girls...
hate chilly smells (former busboy/dishwasher)
and the smell after a party (smoke + beer + stale air)

Ha ha ha...indeed. Nasty feet in view, while eating, tends to make me want to vomit.

Also...if I find a hair in my food...I similarly want to puke.

LoL...not as bad as some folks though. I once knew a guy that ANYTIME he saw OR smelled dog poop, he would let out this loud GAGGING sound like he was about to projectile vomit! Ha ha ha ha...poor guy.

Wow! The Leafs choked again tonight lol. No I'm wait for the Montreal Canadiens to notch another one. 1993 was a time ago, hoping Carey Price and Pk Subban can take us all the way. Maybe I drive to Colorado and borrow Patrick Roy.

A few days ago, my fear of cats prevented me from visiting a friend, so I decided I had to do somthing about my problem. Don't worry, the cat is just fine! Merkava_4 recently reminded me kindly that cats are very loving creatures and I decided to give cats another chance. I actually ended up touching my neighbor's cat Frankie who always slinks around my legs when I check my mailbox. I didn't even scream (much), and while I am not ready for a cat hopping into my lap, I have taken a big step in seeing them as less of a mencace. See the proof below. Thanks again, Merkava_4!

Never mind my white thumb. It's from scrubbing my hands dozens of time every day. No, it's not a compulsion, but I deal with sick people with compromised immune systems and have to have clean hands all the time to prevent spreading and getting infections.

hotwheels

1. - Heights. Man did that make it tough when I was doing new home construction and remodeling. Getting on staging to do interior work on the ceilings or getting on the staging/roof outside to work there was really hard on me. Took me so long to get used to it just so I could move somewhat normal, vs inching around like a 200 year old man, that the job was done. Some jobs I just could not do as they were too high. It wasn't safe for me as my knees would weaken and give out and once I literally almost fainted when I got too close to the edge. So heights is the BIG official phobia for me.

2. - Snakes & Eels. This is another one although not as bad as ^^^. As log as I don't have to touch them, and I know where they are, I am ok being "near" snakes and eels but do NOT expect me to touch either or get too close. NOPE! When I go Striped Bass fishing with eels I have to take someone who sits in the front of my boat with the eel cooler. They have the privilege of hooking the eels on the line and removing any fish if the eel is still on. NO way I am touching those things! What is funny is I can touch sand/clam worms with no problem??? Snakes and eels though = NOT!

3. - I am not sure if this is an official "phobia" but it is something that really worries me and even more so these days since being diagnosed with MS. The fear is becoming crippled and unable to care for myself and function independently. I am an extremely independent and modest person and the thought of having to have someone take care of me, feed me, dress me, bathe me, clean me after the bathroom, etc... is very scary to me.

MS can also basically turn you into someone who is trapped in their own body unable to move or speak but who still can think. That terrifies me! I actually had an experience that let me see what it is like and it is awful. I had an operation and they gave me too much of the anesthesia. I had an awful time coming out of it. My mind came out 1st but I couldn't move or speak. I was aware of what was going on around me but could not do a thing. I swear I was screaming in my mind.

I can honestly say if my MS starts to progress to the point of the above happening I would take steps to end my life while I could. No way I will go through that if I can stop it. You never know though, it can be gradual or you can just wake up one morning and be paralyzed?

4. - the last phobia I have is only a partial one. That is of tight spaces( claustrophobia ). It depends on the space really and also the temp of the air. Hot temps make it worse for me as it impacts my breathing, I never had any issues before the MS and my 1st run in an MRI. I almost had a heart attack the 1st time in an MRI the panic set in so fast and strong. In the end I had to look around and find an MRI machine I am comfortable in as I have to have one 1-2 X's p/year. I went through 5 different ones before finding the one I use now. Now when things get tight and I panic I find myself thinking I am in the [censored] MRI. If I can keep that out of my head and the temp is cool or say I set up a fan to move some air I seem to be ok.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of giving blood or IV needles anymore. Never used to be a problem but I find its fairly unpleasant to watch now. Small needles aren't bad and I put on a good face for the kids, so they still think getting a shot is a good deal for the sticker or sucker they get at the Dr's office.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
A few days ago, my fear of cats prevented me from visiting a friend, so I decided I had to do somthing about my problem. Don't worry, the cat is just fine! Merkava_4 recently reminded me kindly that cats are very loving creatures and I decided to give cats another chance. I actually ended up touching my neighbor's cat Frankie who always slinks around my legs when I check my mailbox. I didn't even scream (much), and while I am not ready for a cat hopping into my lap, I have taken a big step in seeing them as less of a mencace. See the proof below. Thanks again, Merkava_4!

Never mind my white thumb. It's from scrubbing my hands dozens of time every day. No, it's not a compulsion, but I deal with sick people with compromised immune systems and have to have clean hands all the time to prevent spreading and getting infections.

hotwheels

Is that a blister in his mouth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back