Seized snow blower motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I am almost embarrased to post this, but it is what it is. Stupid I know.

I apprarently didn't refill my snow blower with oil after last season when I changed the oil ( I probally didn't have any 5w-30 on the shelf and intended to get some). So I got the snow blower out this morning, but gas in it, fired up on the first pull and started out. Didn't thinkg to check the oil. Got 3 short rows done and shut down. When I went to pull it and it wouldn't pull I knew what had happned. Looked and had no oil.

Is the engine gone or can I take it some where and have it fixed? I don't know much about small engines but don't want to set it on the curb if it could be fixed. It is a Honda 190 motor by the way, about 3 years old.

Thanks and yes, I know, I have learned a big leason this morning.

You might be able to break it lose. or take it apart and change the piston and rings. I'd just repower it with a 150$ harbor frieght engine.

This time of year? By the time you get in to have it fixed all the snow might have melted. Everyone is going to be backed up with work.

BTW - although I never leave an engine without oil for more than a few minutes, when I do I leave a jug of oil somewhere in the way of operating the machine. So if I'm running indoors while I change my car's oil, I leave the jug on the driver's seat. For the snoblower, I leave it on top of the motor. That way if I get distracted and somehow forget there's no oil in it, I'll see the jug and be prompted to check before I start it. Just a suggestion.

Try to break the engine loose by turning it backwards with the output pulley. If you get it loose, fill it with oil, and try to start it. SOMETIMES, it will run just fine again and for a long time. Just depends on what and where the damage in the engine happened. Worst that can happen is you waste a little oil.

Had a similar problem . Pull plug and put some light oil or ATF fluid in, wait a day and see if engine is free. Mine was, but after adding oil and starting and running had another problem. Oil was bowing out of engine and pulling oil dip stick found I had a positive pressure in crankcase. It shouldn't have that. Bought myself a direct fit replacement engine.

link: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ngi#Post3543003

Last edited:
+2 on the Harbor Freight engine.

Is the old engine a GX190 by the way? The GX is what "everybody" clones. You could use your old engine for parts (carb etc) or even possibly move some "honda" labelled stuff over.
wink.gif

For others working on a "tag out/ lockout" plan, tie the starter rope to the frame or handle so it can't be pulled.

its history, buy a new Motor @ Northern Tool . com they have the same exact motor you need. Honda 190Gc

Originally Posted By: exploreco
Ok, I am almost embarrased to post this, but it is what it is. Stupid I know.

I apprarently didn't refill my snow blower with oil after last season when I changed the oil ( I probally didn't have any 5w-30 on the shelf and intended to get some). So I got the snow blower out this morning, but gas in it, fired up on the first pull and started out. Didn't thinkg to check the oil. Got 3 short rows done and shut down. When I went to pull it and it wouldn't pull I knew what had happned. Looked and had no oil.

Is the engine gone or can I take it some where and have it fixed? I don't know much about small engines but don't want to set it on the curb if it could be fixed. It is a Honda 190 motor by the way, about 3 years old.

Thanks and yes, I know, I have learned a big leason this morning.

People should tie a tag in a visible place if they leave an engine with no oil. Even a car, even overnight. Especially if there are others living at home.

I would dump a little oil down the spark plug hole and let it run down a bit then try and move the crankshaft. When the engine cools it may allow you to turn it over.

But this did not help the engine to be a long lived engine.

Well, since you shut it down, and it didn't seize while running.......I would give the "Fill it with oil, put some MMO (Or lubricant of your choice) down the spark plug hole", and try it again tomorrow. If it isn't too noisy or smoky on startup, it might last awhile.

Probably might want to try a X W/40 oil, from now on, if it runs acceptably.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I put some oil in it when I got home. Some 0w-20 left over from the car since that is what I had on the shelf. I pulled on it a few times and got it to finally pull. After that it turned right over. It is a little bit louder than it was before, but it is running. I started it and ran it for about 5 minutes and will try it again tomorrow.

Any suggestions on what I should do now? Other than my big lesson learned
smile.gif
Should I run it a few times and do a couple of OCI's? I put 0w-20 PP in it. I have that on the shelf. The book specs for 5w-30 but thinking maybe I should run something a bit thicker now like a 10w-40?? That might quite it down a bit.

I am sure have shortened its life but I can't change that now. Just want to try and get the most out of it as I can moving forward. And I will not be changing any oil without having the new oil in hand. What brand would be good to use? I normally use PP or Mobil 1. What weight would you recommend?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Donald
exploreco said:
People should tie a tag in a visible place if they leave an engine with no oil. Even a car, even overnight. Especially if there are others living at home.

I like this idea alot. I will say, that I don't think I will probably do an oil change any more without having the oil in hand, but if I do, this would be a great reminder because I didn't even check it out when I got it back out for the season. Just assumed I did what I was supposed to do last spring
grin.gif

5w30 is the speced oil for winter use in that engine.
Something like Rotella 5w40 synthetic would work good and give the engine a little extra protection.
I would probable do a couple short changes to flush out any wear metal that was shed.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Well, since you shut it down, and it didn't seize while running.......I would give the "Fill it with oil, put some MMO (Or lubricant of your choice) down the spark plug hole", and try it again tomorrow. If it isn't too noisy or smoky on startup, it might last awhile.

Probably might want to try a X W/40 oil, from now on, if it runs acceptably.

It did seize while running. It shut down while I was using it. Got a couple of minutes out of it and it quit. I knew something wasn't right because it runs so smooth and for it to just shut down like that. But it is running for now.

Originally Posted By: cronk
5w30 is the speced oil for winter use in that engine.
Something like Rotella 5w40 synthetic would work good and give the engine a little extra protection.
I would probable do a couple short changes to flush out any wear metal that was shed.

Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

I pull the plug wire. Now, without starting a firefight, I remember when Harleys would lock up when hot, in traffic and the riders had to pull over. Didn't seem to cause lasting damage. Perhaps this engine isn't too badly off. I would do a comprtession test, though, especially if it's not an iron liner version.

Last edited:
Maybe you had an ounce or two stuck in there. It's splash lubed and the drain doohickey is threaded into the side of the engine casting. Down low, but still on the side. I tip my OPE to get another 1/2 oz out but even then there's some inside. Did it screech to a stop or maybe some valves hung open and it lost compression and wheezed out? With a load on it it could have stopped fairly abruptly but not from internal jamming.

Surprised you don't have a low oil shutoff doohickey. Though I cut the wire for it on my chondas due to false positives when running my OPE at crazy angles.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Did it screech to a stop or maybe some valves hung open and it lost compression and wheezed out? With a load on it it could have stopped fairly abruptly but not from internal jamming.

It just died. No warning. No noises, no chugging, no smoking, just a very quick shut off. The motor couldn't have been too hot as it had only been running maybe a minute to a minute and a half I would guess. I didn't even smoke a lot when I got it going tonight.

For the next couple of tankfuls, I'd run some serious top-oil in the gasoline to give the rings and cylinder walls as much lubrication as you can. 2-stroke oil, MMO or Lucas UCL ... something like those. Run a very heavy dose.

Then, change the oil and the spark plug and hope for the best. I bet the lil' Honda lasts longer than you'd expect.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Maybe you had an ounce or two stuck in there. It's splash lubed and the drain doohickey is threaded into the side of the engine casting. Down low, but still on the side. I tip my OPE to get another 1/2 oz out but even then there's some inside. Did it screech to a stop or maybe some valves hung open and it lost compression and wheezed out? With a load on it it could have stopped fairly abruptly but not from internal jamming.

Surprised you don't have a low oil shutoff doohickey. Though I cut the wire for it on my chondas due to false positives when running my OPE at crazy angles.
Only the pressurized oil system units have a low oil shutoff. Splash lube develops no oil pressure to use on a pressure switch which would open or short the ingnition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back