Curb find : Stihl blower

My son found an old Stihl SH85 hand held blower/vacuum at the curb in his neighborhood a couple days ago and gave it to me. It started good but wouldn’t take gas it just bogged down when applying even slight throttle. I’m thinking new carb at first but then thought the spark arrestor might be gummed up so I pulled the spark arrestor and sure enough, it was caked with old unburnt oil. Used my torch to burn the gunk off and it starts, idles and runs at WOT like new. It doesn’t have the bag or the vac connector attachment and tube so I’ll just use it as a back up to blow the sidewalks and driveway. I might suggest he stop at the house where he picked it up and ask if they might have the vacuum attachments…….:p

Attachments

• IMG_1402.jpeg
    IMG_1402.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1401.jpeg
    IMG_1401.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 64
My son found an old Stihl SH85 hand held blower/vacuum at the curb in his neighborhood a couple days ago and gave it to me. It started good but wouldn’t take gas it just bogged down when applying even slight throttle. I’m thinking new carb at first but then thought the spark arrestor might be gummed up so I pulled the spark arrestor and sure enough, it was caked with old unburnt oil. Used my torch to burn the gunk off and it starts, idles and runs at WOT like new. It doesn’t have the bag or the vac connector attachment and tube so I’ll just use it as a back up to blow the sidewalks and driveway. I might suggest he stop at the house where he picked it up and ask if they might have the vacuum attachments…….:p
Stop by and tell them they can have their blower back for $50.. haha. Nice score! Curb find OPE is one of my favorite scores.

My favorite part of everyone wanting electric stuff is finding the superior gas powered items for free
I agree completely. I bought a “non working” 2 stroke Ryobi string trimmer this summer for real cheap. It had a new trimmer head to replace my worn out one. It came with the blower attachment as well. I sold that to offset some of the cost.

Just my $0.02

Nice. I’m not too familiar with these, but I wonder if it’s similar to my parents BG85. It’s been issue free their ~20 years of ownership.

Definitely hold onto this one. I had a current BG86 that I bought new and it was extremely suboptimal so I sold it.

I’ve used the Echo Powerblend or Red Armor for years without any problems.

Stihl Ultra and non-ethanol gasoline for seldom used machines.
Guess when they become seldom used - even the Stihl can fuel goes bad ? I hardly use my Stihl chainsaw bcs I have various plug-in and cordless electric saws …

Same here, I got a free Stihl backpack blower in my BILs divorce. It wouldn't come up to speed, 2 minutes later and minus the spark arrestor, it purred like a kitten. I have to pretend to work on it longer though so he wouldn't want it back.

Great if you need it - but it sucks to hear a neighbor doing a small patio with a 2 stroke while I’m outside relaxing …
I mean if he is out there every day doing that for hours sure, but none of my neighbors running their 2-stroke equipment have ever annoyed me. I have 2+ acres, and use my 2-stroke blower to clear the driveway and sidewalks after mowing and it takes me maybe 10 minutes max. The neighbor kids screaming outside at the top of their lungs all day I'd imagine would be more of an annoyance for everyone.

I mean if he is out there every day doing that for hours sure, but none of my neighbors running their 2-stroke equipment have ever annoyed me. I have 2+ acres, and use my 2-stroke blower to clear the driveway and sidewalks after mowing and it takes me maybe 10 minutes max. The neighbor kids screaming outside at the top of their lungs all day I'd imagine would be more of an annoyance for everyone.
Still makes it ridiculous …

It "blows" my mind that people don't try to get stuff repaired just set it on the curb.

Guess when they become seldom used - even the Stihl can fuel goes bad ? I hardly use my Stihl chainsaw bcs I have various plug-in and cordless electric saws …
I've never had an issue with the Stihl canned fuel going bad, but Stihl Ultra oil mixed with ethanol fuel is a different story.

Back