Cut open SuperTech ST-2 E-Core

Status
Not open for further replies.
This last summer in the middle of the great "E-Core" debates that raged I decide to try one on my new Ford F250 5.4L. In June at 1K on the odometer, I swapped out the factory filter (which was a nice Champ labs engine OEM) for a SuperTech ST-2 E-Core and used SuperTech 5-30 SM oil. During the 4K run on the filter and oil, I had no problems in start-up noise or any indication of problems with the filter. never a delay in oil pressure. Using a pnuematic cutting wheel, I slice the filter can open and pulled out the filter element. ADBV rubber was still supple. The filter element showed evenly space pleats and I could not even find the weld seam for them. My biggest concern was unfounded in that I found the fiber end caps very well installed on both end and took a deliberate effort to peel/remove them from the filter element. Center support basket was sound also. With this under my belt, I feel the E-Core design is sound in normal change intervals. I would not hesitate to use again or recommend.

Hootbro

-

-

Hootbro,

Nice pics. Thanks for going to the trouble for our viewing pleasure.
smile.gif
However, I must chastise you for one little thing; Why didn't you cut open & post pics of the OEM oil filter?
banghead.gif
twak.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif
You wouldn't happen to still have it, would you?

I've got an OEM filter from an '05 F-150 5.4 that I plan on cutting apart as soon as it warms up a bit here.

Nice pics
cool.gif
Great filter for only 2 bucks.

Alot of people worried that the E-Core was junk, but this shows its a great filter. I like the E-Core better than the old 'clicker' Champ Lab filter.

My confidence in the E-Core is restored. When I bought my truck last summer, the great "E-Core" debate was being thrashed. Out of unfounded fear, I bought the last 5 non E-Core clicker Valucraft filters my Autozone had. While I will use these up, I feel the E-Core will actually be a better design filter in the long run.

Hootbro

Yes, an ample supply of FL1A and FL300 (and others) for $3.28.

I still bought a ST16, though.
smile.gif

'' posted December 10, 2005 02:10 PM
Right next to the ST filters in Wal*Mart are the Purolator-made Motorcrafts for around $1 more.
Posts: 1270 | From: Southeast Lower Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004 | IP: Logged | ''

So what is the Motorcraft equivalent to ST 3950?

quote:

Right next to the ST filters in Wal*Mart are the Purolator-made Motorcrafts for around $1 more.

Thanks for the news flash but the ST is doing fine for me.

quote:

Don't feel bad .. lots of folks buy the wrong filter. Look at Fram sales for an example.

Yup and lots of folks overpay for a filter that does not fit their needs.

Hootbro

I have a stange question: does any one know of a shorter yet filter than the ST-2 E-core filter for these applications? My 96 4.6 L T-Bird is such a bear to change the oil filter on that if there is a shorter one than the ST-2 E-core, I would be interested. I'm not concerned with the lower capacity since I change oil every 4000 - 5000 mi.
I must admit I haven't had a chance to try a ST-2 E-core yet, have only used the MC 820S filter to date. The E-core ST-2 is about 3/4" shorter than the 820S and the various Purolator filter equivalents. Maybe that will be enough to ease some of the pain of that miserable filter location on T-Birds.
Thanks in advance.

Don't know..i'm on the road without my library at home...

But you can call Champ's tollfree number 1-800-882-0890.

They could tell you...

I doubt that there will be another Ecore® number for you ..at least in ST ..but here's some others.

I don't know the length of the MotorCraft FL820S ..but the Wix is

UPC Number: 765809513723
Principal Application: Ford/Lincoln/Mercury (91-06), Mazda (00-06)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.167
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 12-15
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=12/25
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 11-13 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

This is the shortest Donaldson that I found:

P550965

Lube Filters Product Attributes
A - OD (Inches): 3.67
B - Thread Size (Inches): M22 X 1.5
C - Length (Inches): 3.58
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.81
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.42
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 15
Anti Drain Valve (Y/N): Yes
Product Type Description: LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW
Primary Application: FORD LIGHT TRUCK

This number, however, x-ref's to the WIX longer filter.

In Baldwin it's a 3 31/32" length filter.

So you can get maybe a 1/2" ..but it appears that Donaldson is the source.

Perhaps Big O Dave can help
dunno.gif

However, those wanting a longer filter for the modular engines ...

Part Number: 51087
UPC Number: 765809510876
Principal Application: Ford European-Dorset Engs.
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.477
Outer Diameter Top: 3.661
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 19
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 355
Max Flow Rate: 11-13 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 24

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

They have to live with the fear of a higher bypass valve rating
shocked.gif
grin.gif

interestingly, I was at Wal-Mart today and happened to look at filters. They had a bunch of E-core ST2s and one old non-Ecore. The newer ones seem to be slightly smaller, and in a smaller box. Both looked like something I'd use without hesitation though.

The filter material looks totally clean. You probably could have gone to 10k miles.

I've been using the ST ecore also without any issues. It does seem like the ST filter shelf space is decreasing on a weekly basis. :-(

Super Tech was always set up to be a top 20-30 part number type line and not a full product offering.

WalMart leaves the actual store product offering to the individual store manager. That is why the disparity of what one Walmart has to another on filters ( and anything else in the store).

One of my ex-work bosses wife is an Assistant Store manager at Walmart. Started off in the shoe department..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back