Cut open SuperTech, ACDelco, Wix and Purolator for GM 5.3

NOT my work, but a member on another forum I browse posted this in a oil change threat. Just for reference, I'll share it here.

Interesting to note is that the ST is appx $5 cheaper according to the OP, and has a silicone ADBV with similar or identical filter element.

IMG_9617.jpeg

Do the left two filters (ACDelco and SuperTech) both have Champ Labs style eCore nylon center tubes, or are they metal?

Do the left two filters (ACDelco and SuperTech) both have Champ Labs style eCore nylon center tubes, or are they metal?
I can't tell you for sure about the filters in the picture, but since I drive a 23 Silverado that uses the AC Delco PF63, I can tell you that all of these filters I've had my hands on over the last 4-5 years have had the ecore cage. I was leary of them at first, but I can see a good argument for flow as compared to a filter with holes and especially louvers. No issue in years of use of the Delco filter.

Never thought I would think or say this but the last two Delco PF63 filters that I purchased had some significant quality control issues. Crimping looked very uneven, the paint was rough, and the holes looked like they were punched with a drift. Again another statement I didn’t think I’d ever say but I switched to a Fram Ultra Synthetic XG10575. At least it looked and felt (weight) like a decent quality filter. This is for my 2017 5.3. The Purolator filter looks pretty good from your photo.

'From what can be seen in the pics', they look typical for what has been seen from each filter brand in the past. I'm going to assume the ACDelco and ST-MP both have ecores. The ST-MP for sure. Yes, ST looks very similar to the ACDelco. Wix looks to be dome bypass. Beyond that, nothing really stands out as new here to my eye.

do you know when in time these filters were made and when they were cut open???...the latest photo I've found of the Super tech MP10575 filter shows a black ADBV.....
First Brands may have been using nitrile for a while, for supply chain issues or whatever, But for other applications I've seen, back on track with silicone adbv. Either original ST blue-ish or orange silicone adbv. If they are using nitrile now on that application, in my observation that's out of norm now compared another applications. If I was interested in purchase, I check the store not the online pic alone.

Never thought I would think or say this but the last two Delco PF63 filters that I purchased had some significant quality control issues. Crimping looked very uneven, the paint was rough, and the holes looked like they were punched with a drift. Again another statement I didn’t think I’d ever say but I switched to a Fram Ultra Synthetic XG10575. At least it looked and felt (weight) like a decent quality filter. This is for my 2017 5.3. The Purolator filter looks pretty good from your photo.
Good Morning PontiacHO,
You have an excellent practice of inspecting your oil filter before purchase. IMHO, you made a good choice with the Fram Ultra Synthetic because it has much better performance specs than an AC Delco Gold Ultra Guard. I use both the Tough Guards and Ultras on my vehicles, they are both an excellent value. I've included my "Oil Filter Value Analysis" below.

I can't tell you for sure about the filters in the picture, but since I drive a 23 Silverado that uses the AC Delco PF63, I can tell you that all of these filters I've had my hands on over the last 4-5 years have had the ecore cage. I was leary of them at first, but I can see a good argument for flow as compared to a filter with holes and especially louvers. No issue in years of use of the Delco filter.
Oil filter center tubes with holes or well formed louvers also create very little dP, so an eCore center tube is only saving maybe 1 or 2 PSI max at high flow rates. A positive displacement oil pump doesn't care about that and will still provide the same oil flow volume. The design of the center tube won't make or break a filter, unless it's badly choked down louvers.

Had to dig this up, which is a dP calculation I did awhile ago (using an on-line dP calculator tool) on a Fram PH7317 I had cut open, and it shows the dP across a center tube is pretty small. This is with hot (15 cSt) and warm (500 cSt) oil. With super cold oil (say 3000-4000 cSt) it would of course be higher dP vs flow. This center tube had 10.7% open flow area (Total Flow Area = 0.945 in^2). Did this also with a XG3600 base plate, which had 5.7% open area (Total Flow Area = 0.251 in^2). The base plate dP could be reduced some with bigger holes. The center tube dP is so low, that more or bigger holes wouldn't do much.

The base plate had more dP vs flow than the center tube. Keep in mind that most engines just cruising around on the roads are flowing 8-10 GPM or less, even near redline.

1705435721154.jpeg

1705435737674.jpeg

Last edited:
Back