Lefties

Status
Not open for further replies.
So had a thought a while back, forgot about it, and was thinking about it again tonight, I thought I'd ask BITOG about it.

So I'm left handed, and learned to write, and do a lot of things left handed. Scissors, screw drivers, drills, hammers, etc. But I've always used a right handed computer mouse, mainly because noone else I ever knew was left handed, and all the computers I used were already set up for right handers. Today, I tried using my ambidextrous mouse left handed, and I just couldn't use it at all, it felt weird as heck.

Anyone else left handed have the same kind of experience, things you do right handed because you are so used to it?

I'm right handed, but have done some things with the opposite hand; it is mind blowing for sure, to start, but a muscle memory issue can be changed over time.

Try switching your wallet to the opposite pocket and you will experience the same issue.

I'm a lefty and cannot use a left handed mouse, shoot left handed, or bat left handed.

For everything else though my right hand may as well be a handicap.

My mouse is in my left hand at home, but at work it's on the right. At the moment there are only 3 of us using the workshop computer, and the boss and I are lefties. I find it easier to enter with the mouse on my right and write on my documents with my left.

In this PC world with no discrimination, left handers are still ignored. Like most, I'm ok with that, but living in a right hand world can be a bit annoying at times.

I remember at school as a little kid we had to mark out and cut some shapes out of cardboard. My scissors didn't work, so when the kid next to me put theirs down I picked them up, and they didn't work either....then they picked up mine and they worked perfectly. I didn't understand, and no one told me I was lefthanded, and that scissors wouldn't work for me...or fountain pens. I watched other lefthand kids...and they were watching me. Takes your whole life to figure it out. I have lefthanded scissors at home...and 2 leftie kids.

How many stutter ?

I'm right handed but play a guitar left handed using a left handed guitar. I have a difficult time playing right handed.

Originally Posted By: 97f150
I'm a lefty and cannot use a left handed mouse, shoot left handed, or bat left handed.

For everything else though my right hand may as well be a handicap.

This describes me.

I can use a mouse with either hand. If one hand gets tired I just switch hands. I've been doing it for years. I didn't find it difficult to get used to and I do it at work and at home. People that see me switch hands find it strange, but I don't.

I'm right handed but draw a bow (archery) and open screw top Jars and bottles left handed.
I guess some muscles might be stronger on my left side.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
So had a thought a while back, forgot about it, and was thinking about it again tonight, I thought I'd ask BITOG about it.

So I'm left handed, and learned to write, and do a lot of things left handed. Scissors, screw drivers, drills, hammers, etc. But I've always used a right handed computer mouse, mainly because noone else I ever knew was left handed, and all the computers I used were already set up for right handers. Today, I tried using my ambidextrous mouse left handed, and I just couldn't use it at all, it felt weird as heck.

Anyone else left handed have the same kind of experience, things you do right handed because you are so used to it?

Are you me?

My wife was a lefty until third grade.
During the beginning of her third grade, she broke her left arm and had to have a full arm cast on it that included part of her left hand. She was enrolled in a Catholic grade school and a strict nun told her that having a cast on her left hand wasn't an excuse to get out of handwriting exercises. So, they made her do them right handed and she's written with her right hand ever since. Her handwriting is quite poor and I know that is the reason. Most everything she does, including throwing a baseball or everything else is right-handed, but she brushes her teeth left-handed and if she's mixing batter in the kitchen, she'll do that left handed, but that's about it.
I wonder how many deceased nuns are burning in....uh, never mind.

Left handed at most things. Writing, eating, holding a beer....the important stuff.

Shoot, throw, bat, bowl.....sports stuff all right.

In kindergarten, they had us practice with our non-dominant hand at writing just in case we ever needed to. It paid off for me. I broke my left wrist in football in high school and spent 6 weeks of my sophmore year doing schoolwork right handed. Feels awkward but I can do most things halfway well with the other hand.

Last edited:
I'm very right handed. Blows my mind watching "Top Gear UK" where they shift with the left hand. My whole arm would be clutzy getting the shifter through the gates!

I can at least keep my left hand on the wheel long enough to stay out of the ditch during gear changes.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back