Where to park ~$30k?

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

Fidelity has come up a lot in my research, I like the ability for a basic consumer such as myself to be able to complete simple trades and move money around without all the fees and the need for a financial advisor.

To add a little more information: my lady and I are both 34, live in a relatively low-tax state (WI), and she runs a dog grooming business out of the house that covers a large majority of the utility bills and also allows her to write-off lots of things that are needed in daily life (laundry detergent, paper towels, cleaning supplies, etc).

The land: It would be perfectly suitable to throw a modular home on it and rent it out, but the expense of purchasing such a unit at this time isn't cost-feasible. I could sit on the land for 5 years and not miss the $20k at all, but I would have to maintain the property etc. It's quite literally 50 yards away, I wouldn't even have to get off the mower after doing my own yard.

There will be no big travel for at least the next 2 years, my goal is to recoup all the money I spent closing out my debt (~$20k) and then thinking about having some fun. When we do decide to travel, it will be to places that one can't visit for $500 and a weekend's worth of time.

*Edit to add: I'm ok with the money being tied up for 6-12mo if need be, but having it available in an emergency would be nice as well.

Take all the free 401k money you can get. After that put all the rest in T-bills or a money market. No need to keep separate emergency fund over maybe $2000 because you can cash out of money markets or sell t - bills any time if you do it in a brokerage account. As always read your account agreement first.

Last edited:
My 2 cents. ,,,,Put it in a savings, money market fund etc. until YOU decide what to do with the money.

Thanks again, everyone. I just stopped at the bank and moved $25k over into a 6mo CD at 5.25%. I'll probably stick the other $20k on a MM and keep $5-10k on hand just in case.

For reference: my CU was only offering 3% on their "Elite" MM account that carried a min. balance of $25k. No thanks!

I would only buy that lot if you were 100% certain it will be built on within 18 months; meaning someone is going to come to you, without you advertising it and offer you 150%+ of what you paid for it.

Otherwise, with all the talk the last 10 days, I'd park it in a 6 month CD. Should be able to get 4%.

I've been very satisfied with Marcus. Currently 4.50% with a 1% bonus for 90 days for both parties with any referral. Haven't been fortunate enough to have two concurrent referrals but I believe it would be 1% for each. Hope to find out some day.

There is a piece of property just around the corner from us that's left over from a house fire last year. It's ready to go with well/sewer/electric, and I think I could pick it up for ~$20k. Property taxes on the land are maybe $600/yr.

Outside of that, I have no idea. I'll be contributing to my 401k at JD, they match 30% of contributions up to my first 7% of income so there's that. What would you do?
unless you are planning on using the land, that isn't a good place to park money as it isn't exactly liquid, nor is the potential for ROI very high unless there is something special about the land.. so that would be a pass for me.

I'd park the money in a brokerage money market fund or something like this https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/performance-and-risk/31641Q847

I would only buy that lot if you were 100% certain it will be built on within 18 months; meaning someone is going to come to you, without you advertising it and offer you 150%+ of what you paid for it.

Otherwise, with all the talk the last 10 days, I'd park it in a 6 month CD. Should be able to get 4%.

I guess I made the right call, then, in going with the CD. I'm also looking into a Marcus savings account, with a referral I can park another $20k there and let it sit.

Back