Looking for heat resistant oil changing gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time I changed the oil, I burnt the heck out of myself. I like to change the oil while it's super hot so that I can get every last drop out of there. The drain plug is super hot and the oil filter is super hot. Heat resistant gloves would make a nice luxury. I was thinking about those kevlar knitted type gloves, but I don't know if the oil would soak through the knitting or not. Your recommendations please.

My recommendation would be to wait a bit so it is not "super hot", as every service manual I have ever read says to do. The amount of oil you drain will be the same whether you wait 15 minutes or try and drain it "super hot".

Kevlar gloves just so you think that you will get more oil (which you won't) is the very definition of overkill. And yes oil will soak through Kevlar gloves. It is a fabric like any other fabric.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The last time I changed the oil, I burnt the heck out of myself. I like to change the oil while it's super hot so that I can get every last drop out of there. The drain plug is super hot and the oil filter is super hot. Heat resistant gloves would make a nice luxury. I was thinking about those kevlar knitted type gloves, but I don't know if the oil would soak through the knitting or not. Your recommendations please.

drive it park it and wait 10-15min to prevent major burns.

the only gloves that wont soak through would be good leather or rubber..

Just as everyone has said, wait 10-15 mins. You'll still get all the oil out. It is still warm and will flow nicely.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Just as everyone has said, wait 10-15 mins. You'll still get all the oil out. It is still warm and will flow nicely.

forgot to mention with the wait 10-15min the exhaust cools down so you don't melt your arm if you bump it.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
My recommendation would be to wait a bit so it is not "super hot", as every service manual I have ever read says to do.

That will never happen, I'm a hardcore hot changer. Water temp is about 212-216F when I unscrew the plug.

Now if we're talking about anti-freeze/coolant, I'll do that cold.
grin2.gif

I drained the '12 Accord last Sunday after driving it home around twelve miles.
I drained the Focus Monday after driving it home about eighty miles.
In both cases, by the time I got them up on the ramps and changed into the really filthy clothes that I reserve for oil changes, at least ten minutes had elapsed.
In both cases, the drain plugs and oil filters were uncomfortably hot.
In neither case did I burn myself.
You don't really need to wash your hands in hot oil to drain it.

I agree on the ten minutes, while its far better to do the hot drain, 10 minutes isn't going to matter much other than getting burned. I normally double up on throw away nitrel gloves.

I use heavy rubber household gloves. Usually just one, with the cuff rolled up to catch oil, and I keep paper towels handy to wipe off oil ASAP.

You don't need super heat resistant gloves.

I'm glad you're taking care of yourself...when I had suggested gloves on another thread I got this response...

Quote:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam

...and used oil is caustic, so wear nitrile/latex gloves to protect your hands...even Edd China now wears gloves...good for him.

One question, I have yet to wear gloves when changing my oil, I've had used oil run down my arm and onto my back and it stayed there til I was done, then took a shower.

To the best of my recollection I have never had anyone else change my oil. I'm now 70+ years old and have been driving my own cars since the age of 15.

Neither of my hands have withered up and fallen off, nor have I gotten unknown patches of something growing on my body anywhere.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

...and the poster thought that I would think his sarcasm (which he denied) to be appropriate...

I'm glad you're taking care of yourself...when I had suggested gloves on another thread I got this response...

Quote:

...and used oil is caustic, so wear nitrile/latex gloves to protect your hands...even Edd China now wears gloves...good for him.

One question, I have yet to wear gloves when changing my oil, I've had used oil run down my arm and onto my back and it stayed there til I was done, then took a shower.

To the best of my recollection I have never had anyone else change my oil. I'm now 70+ years old and have been driving my own cars since the age of 15.

Neither of my hands have withered up and fallen off, nor have I gotten unknown patches of something growing on my body anywhere.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

...and the poster thought that I would think his sarcasm (which he denied) to be appropriate...

Some of us prefer to not have to totally change wardrobes and shower after oil changes. My Silverado is a PIA to change. Something inevitably happens when holding oil catch pan up close to the side mounted oil drain that shoots 2.5 feet against the tire (if the pan isn't held up). Also, when you loosen an inverted (hole side up) filter on the bottom of the engine block oil always pours out. I would kill for some good heat resistant, oil resistant gloves. That bread bag idea isn't half bad.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I like to change the oil while it's super hot so that I can get every last drop out of there.

Try the Fumoto valve. Given that you change oil frequently, once you try it, you'll be kicking yourself for not having done so earlier. When I changed oil on vehicles where the filter was going to give me trouble (i.e. spilling oil on me), I used a combination of a wad of paper towels and a grocery bag, to keep the temperature on my hand down a bit, and to keep said hand dry.

I'm with Garak. I use Fumoto drain valves on every vehicle I own and my ag tractor. Been using them for years. One of the best investments a person can make.

Doesn't fumoto keep a few extra ounces in the pan? Seems like what OP is trying to avoid.

If I were OP, I'd step up my game, maybe use a different drain pan. One with a screen? He could loosen the drain bolt and let it drop/ fly into the drain pan without getting lost in the boiling oil. If he only touches it for 1/10 sec it won't transfer enough heat to his finger tips to do damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back