Nissan XTerra Supercharged oil recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to do the oilchange in my wife's XTerra, I am sure it's over it's 5000km interval from the last quick-lube place. I am doing it myself this time.

It is a 2002 XTerra 3.3L Supercharged, and it has 155k KM (95k miles) on the engine.

According to the cap it wants 5w30, which seems normal to me.

Truck in question:
P1010484_zps4a11a46c.jpg

It isn't driven much, rarely gets up to temperature. In summers we do a lot of camping where we tow ~3000lb trailer up logging roads, but this year we're having a baby (only weeks away, yay!) so I don't think we'll be camping much this summer!

Truck is used mostly for to and from the dog park and grocery store... ~5k to 15k tops.

Thoughts on which oil is best?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Being in Canada, I'd want the cold flow of a Syn
TBH, any semi or full syn would serve you well
I'd pay more attention for a good oil filter, a silicone ADBV makes this engine sound much quieter on a cold start.

Is there any separate oil to service for the supercharger itself?

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Being in Canada, I'd want the cold flow of a Syn

Unless it's northern BC, it's not going to be an issue. Vancouver's winter is much like Seattle's - non-existent.

I'm in Kelowna, which we get pretty cold in the winter but not Northern cold... might hit -20C for a week or so but that's about it.

I believe the supercharger is oiled with the engine.

I have 5 quarts of Mobil 1000 full synthetic 5w30, would that be a top-tier choice?

I don't have a suggestion for oil but I would suggest that you run an external tranny cooler on that if it's the automatic. Those are known for having the tranny cooler fail inside the radiator which can cause the transmission to fill with coolant potentially destroying it.

Info on this can be found at: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25955

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
I don't have a suggestion for oil but I would suggest that you run an external tranny cooler on that if it's the automatic. Those are known for having the tranny cooler fail inside the radiator which can cause the transmission to fill with coolant potentially destroying it.

Info on this can be found at: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25955

Common misconception, that issue was only on the 05+ models, and I think it was fixed in 08 or 09. Mine is a 2002 which did not have the SMOD problem
smile.gif
Thanks though!

Originally Posted By: GoStumpy
I'm in Kelowna, which we get pretty cold in the winter but not Northern cold... might hit -20C for a week or so but that's about it.

I believe the supercharger is oiled with the engine.

I have 5 quarts of Mobil 1000 full synthetic 5w30, would that be a top-tier choice?

I'm not sure about the supercharger sharing oil with the engine.

It is an Eaton supercharger, and similar ones were used on the GM 3800SC. The GM 3800SC had a special supercharger oil which is much different from engine oil. It wouldn't surprise me if Nissan didn't stock supercharger oil because they made so few engines that way. Maybe you should look into ACDelco supercharger oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back