FRAM Ultra Phobia ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's really surprising is that the Fram High Mileage and Fram Ultra are the same price on the Advance website.

Apparently, the Fram High Mileage filter has been overlooked as a quality oil filter.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
What's really surprising is that the Fram High Mileage and Fram Ultra are the same price on the Advance website.

There's an online retailer up here that wants $20 for the orange can. Does that bump it up a tier or two?
wink.gif

Apparently, the Fram High Mileage filter has been overlooked as a quality oil filter.

NOOOOOO!! Anything but the HM! It has that snake oil goo that no one knows what it is.

Originally Posted By: Garak

There's an online retailer up here that wants $20 for the orange can. Does that bump it up a tier or two?
wink.gif

What's he want for an Ultra ... like $40?
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What's he want for an Ultra ... like $40?
eek.gif

The site has a strange pricing thing that never actually got fixed when they changed their shipping policies. It used to be a good site if you wanted to buy a single part. Shipping was included in the item price, or as they worded it, shipping was free, no matter how little you bought. So, if you needed a hard to find belt or hose, it was fine. If you wanted to buy a dozen oil filters, you obviously got hosed.

For whatever reason, they decided to charge for shipping at the normal Canadian part site rate. However, they didn't reduce the prices on any of these things. So, now, it would be $20 for an orange can plus shipping. They probably don't sell the Ultra because not enough customers have unlimited credit cards.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: gregk24
There is your problem, the other filters are not junk. The Fram Ultra is an excellent filter, as is the TG use either with confidence.

If it doesn't have metal end caps, it's junk.

Ha! It is to laugh.

I know eh.
Fibre end caps actually seal better,the resins adhere to the fibre better than metal.
And merkava do you even know what the end cap does?
If so why do you feel it needs to be metal?
Or is it something you read here and decided it was a must have.
Are you going to change it every 2000 mikes, like your oil.
Wouldn't want varnish now would ya.

I must confess I was against the fiber caps, until I had it thoroughly explained to me; now it makes sense.

Both metal and fiber work well. There are some reasons to chose either, based upon other construction criteria of any particular filter application.

I use the OCOD only when I can get it cheap. There are "better" filters for the same money (namely the MC in my local Wallyworld). I am not saying the EG is a bad filter; I'm saying there is higher ROI in other products quite often.

I very much like the TG; it's become my goto filter for many applications. As I like longer OCIs, I like the TGs.

I cannot fathom me ever using a FU; not because it's unworthy - far from that. It's just that I doubt I'll ever have cause to run a filter long enough to warrant the cost, even though the FU is one of the best buys for it's feature range in the top tier market.

Anyone who hates on Fram must not be aware that other brands also suffer quality issues. We've seen plenty of MC and Puro and Wix issues recently. I would use any of these brands; none scare me. All brands will occasionally suffer a quality issue; none are immune. To me, the Fram line seems to have hit rock-bottom a few years ago, and is well on it's way to "as goos as" status.

To the best of my knowledge, none of us have market industry data showing true reject or failure rates for any brand. And so, all of this is complete and total supposition on our part. Data speaks, but only when present. The rest is just rhetoric. Because of this, I can only say that my OPINION is that Fram may not be a "best buy", but it certainly isn't junk.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Any of you guys hesitating on buying a FRAM Ultra because of of their other junk filters ?

That's where I'm at. I'd like to give one a try, but can't figure out why a company would make so many junk filters and then have one good filter at the top of the line. It makes me apprehensive of the top filter.

Yes and no.

My rational side says there is no problem with the Ultra and that it is a fine filter.

My irrational side says "But the OCOD will kill your engine and kick your dog. Any company that makes the OCOD must be EVIL!"

My wife's 2001 CR-V spent much of its life running the OCOD and QSGB before I started maintaining it. It has 95k miles on it and doesn't burn a drop of oil. During a valve adjustment ~10k miles ago, the valvetrain and cover were extremely clean.

Since I took over oil changes, I've been using a combination of PureOne and OEM A02 (Fram) filters. The engine's still chugging along.

Millions of OCODs have been produced and are in service. If they were truly junk, I think they'd have been phased out. They may not be the best, but they work. Buy your Ultra with confidence.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

I cannot fathom me ever using a FU; not because it's unworthy - far from that. It's just that I doubt I'll ever have cause to run a filter long enough to warrant the cost, even though the FU is one of the best buys for it's feature range in the top tier market.

I thought you ran really long OCIs. Instead of pushing a low tier filter to 15K ~ 20K miles, why not use one that is rated for 15K+ miles?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

NOOOOOO!! Anything but the HM! It has that snake oil goo that no one knows what it is.

Fram knows what it is. And it must be good cause it sure is expensive whatever it is!
laugh.gif

I do not hesitate to buy any Fram, Purolator, Motorcraft, or other quality name brand filters. I have driven cross country with an OCOD, and my vehicle still runs like a dream.

I never would use a Fram UNTIL the Ultra.... Its a great filter and costs around $9 at Walmart. Always used NAPA Gold or even Pureone's but this Ultra seems to be an excellent oil filter.

I can only say that my OPINION is that Fram may not be a "best buy", but it certainly isn't junk.

I agree.

But I think Fram Ultra is the best buy of the top of the line synthetic spin on filters.

I agree also. I find it ironic that while the orange can lags in value factor at everyday pricing the Ultra smokes the competition in that same regard.

None of the Fram filters are junk. Even the high mileage filters use an additive that has proven itself beneficial in the HD truck market for neutralizing acid in the oil.

You want straight pleats?, go with the Ultra. I've never seen an Ultra cut open I didn't like.

The TG has higher efficiency though for your super short intervals.

Fiber end discs are just as good or better than metal, being porous the adhesive bonds better.

Bottom line, the Ultra has a unique construction as compared to Fram's other lower tier choices. In addition to high efficiency synthetic media with a greater holding capacity, it has metal endcaps. There's nothing wrong with having a preference for certain type of construction and if one prefers metal endcap construction the Ultra offers it. But, if one is not going to use the Ultra for at least a 10k oci, then imo it's waste of money. Especially with all the reputable solid efficiency silicone adbv filters in the $4-6 range that will easily go 7500 miles with little difficulty.

As for the HM, it's an orange can with an oil conditioning gel basket that generally sells for a ~$2-3 premium over the orange can. My preference is to choose a good quality oil an run it for the recommended interval as indicated by the OM/OLM/MM or UOA, and leave the oil additives or add pack to the oil manufacturers, which is their primary business. Others can do as they choose but that's my thought on the HM.

But yes the Ultra is fine filter, running one myself right now in a Tacoma. But, it won't be coming off until at least a 10k oci/fci. My .02

Biggest problem I have with the Fram Ultra is that they don't currently make a XG10295 for my Toyota Land Cruiser.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I thought you ran really long OCIs. Instead of pushing a low tier filter to 15K ~ 20K miles, why not use one that is rated for 15K+ miles?

I guess we'd have to define what a long OCI is to me versus someone else. I've convinced myself that 10k miles is easily doable, with all safety factors in place, with "normal" products. Many are familiar with my recent 10k and 15k mile OCIs and results.

I'm now interested in seeing how far I can push some combination of premium and normal product pairings. Currently trying low cost oil with TG filters. Will run a few tests and see what performance looks like contrasted to "normal" statistical results. The quest is to find out if the same oils will benefit from a premium filter. The TG filters no "better" than the FU, so I don't see the uprated cost being a necessity. May try a FU some day, but not there yet in the testing protocol.

Stay tuned!

Just installed a Fram Ultra on my 2012 Camaro SS.
Compared with the AC filter, oil pressure increased approximately 5 psi at idle and 10 psi at cruise.
Would this be an indication of better flow rate?

Originally Posted By: wjs
Just installed a Fram Ultra on my 2012 Camaro SS.
Compared with the AC filter, oil pressure increased approximately 5 psi at idle and 10 psi at cruise.
Would this be an indication of better flow rate?

Theoretically no, since the oil pump in that engine is most likely a positive displacement oil pump. If you don't know exactly what the oil temperature was in each test, it may not be a 1-for-1 comparison of oil pressure.

The only time you will see an oil pressure difference due to only an oil filter change is when the oil pump is in pressure relief, which can only happen at very high RPM with somewhat cool oil temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back