FRAM Ultra Phobia ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you guys hesitating on buying a FRAM Ultra because of of their other junk filters ?

That's where I'm at. I'd like to give one a try, but can't figure out why a company would make so many junk filters and then have one good filter at the top of the line. It makes me apprehensive of the top filter.

The few that I've used and cut open looked excellent!

I just posted pics of a Purolator Synthetic and while it was fine, the pleats were uneven. Not what I'd expect for a premium cost filter. The Fram Ultras have always been excellent and evenly pleated. They also cost less at Walmart!

The Fram Ultra is top tier and of higher quality than their entry level filters.

Buy with confidence; I do!

There was one just posted cut open. Look and judge for yourself. There are even more lesser frams cut open recently that look just fine.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Any of you guys hesitating on buying a FRAM Ultra because of of their other junk filters ?

That's where I'm at. I'd like to give one a try, but can't figure out why a company would make so many junk filters and then have one good filter at the top of the line. It makes me apprehensive of the top filter.

There is your problem, the other filters are not junk. The Fram Ultra is an excellent filter, as is the TG use either with confidence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
There is your problem, the other filters are not junk. The Fram Ultra is an excellent filter, as is the TG use either with confidence.

If it doesn't have metal end caps, it's junk. I want metal end caps and straight evenly spaced pleats.

Yes! It felt really weird the first time I bought an Ultra and spun it on, but the Ultra really is a quality filter - I bought a few when they were 2 for 1 a while back.

I used to be a Puro/Wix fan, but after all the torn pleats I might have to stick to Wix until that gets sorted out.

If it doesn't have metal end caps, it's junk.

Ha! It is to laugh.

The ONLY FRAM I'll EVER use is the ULTRA,plain and simple.Why?
Quality-end of story,Fram is short on quality build.You wanna sacrifice a expensive factory motor/race motor with a cheap filter? Be my guest,it wont be me.

Litetally millions of vehicles on the road are using Fram filters right in this very moment and its a non-issue. Frams quality control has gone up significantly in the past few years while our beloved Purolators have tanked and many Frams have been cut open here in recent weeks and all look fine. The fiber end caps adhere to the media but allow some flex of the pleats to prevent media tearing. Recently the media from metal end cap Puros tear open because theres no give.

Fram Ultras use metal caps because they are matched with a wire screen backing in the media.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I used to be a Puro/Wix fan, but after all the torn pleats I might have to stick to Wix until that gets sorted out.

Not long ago I think it was in 2012, I happened to cut open a Wix made NAPA Gold filter, and the silicone ADBV was torn. Which hard evidence made sense to me why the brief, unusual valve train noise when the cold engine was cranked up, throughout that OCI. With these oil filters of different makes, I'm thinking it's the luck of the draw, or the lack thereof on rare occasions. Not justifying Purolator as far as the recent, frequent appearances of Purolator Classic filters exhibiting slightly torn media.

If it doesn't have metal end caps, it's junk. I want metal end caps and straight evenly spaced pleats.

Well, the Ultra has metal end caps, and the best efficiency rating and OCI interval than any other full synthetic media filter in its class. What more do you want?

I avoided Fram up until recently when I watched a few videos of their R&D, saw reviews & cut open pictures of their Ultras and saw that the Ultras are priced reasonably against other top-tier filters.

I've picked a large chunk of Ultras over this past weekend and will be installing them on all my vehicles when their due. I'll run them on two OCIs and report back.

Purolators have nice straight and even pleats, you should use those...

I have my first fram ultra on my escalade right now. I'll cut it open after the olm says to change it. I don't think u can beat it for the price. I would buy the fram ultra over any purolator, though.

Purolators have nice straight and even pleats, you should use those...

Huh? ... Purolators typically have wavy pleats.

If they were priced like the OCOD, I'd buy them. But OCOD prices in Canada represent the maximum I'd pay for an Ultra; and even at that price, I'd be tempted to buy a MAHLE/MANN /OEM instead
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jrustles
If they were priced like the OCOD, I'd buy them. But OCOD prices in Canada represent the maximum I'd pay for an Ultra ...

That's never gonna happen since the OCOD is the low tier and the Ultra is the high tier filter in Fram's 3 oil filter model line-up.

I ran a Fram Ultra cartridge in my Balt for 7 months...have to say it has been the best run filter I've used in a long time. Even better than the Delcos I've run as well.

It's getting another test now in the wife's car, and so far so good.

If it passes this test, it looks to be my go to from now on...

I've used a tough guard or two, did not have issues with those either....

Originally Posted By: jrustles
If they were priced like the OCOD, I'd buy them. But OCOD prices in Canada represent the maximum I'd pay for an Ultra; and even at that price, I'd be tempted to buy a MAHLE/MANN /OEM instead

And at Partsource, you'd get the OEM German filter cheaper than any other option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back