If you have never used your spare tire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one time I got a flat was in my CVPI, right after I bought it. The seller had even said, "the spare is good" (it was an old winter tire) "but I don't know where the jack is." He said he had taken it down to Discount tire right before I picked it up and had them check the air in it. They found a leak in a tire. A bad valve stem so he had them replace it. I could see the new valve stem.

Thankfully, the jack was hidden under the spare. The tire had failed because the valve stem had failed. It was broke open about 2/3 the way around. It went quick. Stop leak wouldn't have helped.

Both of Vics have full size spares. I keep them aired up to sidewall maximum of 44psi. Reasoning is I can adjust it down to correct level easily enough, airing it up is a bit harder.

Originally Posted By: meep

But, getting the 4-section stick together... fishing through the hole.... there's no guide! you have no clue if you are near, approaching, past, or next to the cable winch crank. so my wife tried and gave up before I did. so it took both of us.... me to climb under the truck, reach over the spare, and her to guide the crank rod in as I brought it to the winch by feel.

No manner of preparation will fix this. I will have to do this if I need to pull the spare again. it's about the only complaint i've ever had about this truck!

You certainly can prepare for that. You can put a flashlight in the truck or, if you're the sort to do such things, you could even make a guide so you don't have to go fishing.

I recently got a used set of alloys, and got 5 so I would have a spare wheel as well as spare tire...and that wheel as well as the others have not lost any air in months, a lucky find...but I still check it occasionally and plan on using that tire in a 5-tire rotation.

Last edited:
In the hatch...

- spare wheel/tire
- compact air compressor
- can of Fix-a-Flat
- tire plug kit

I like having options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back