Modern cars with non-radial donut spare tires. What was the last car to have a bias ply spare?

In 1990, Honda/Acura used a bias-ply spare on the Integra. I remember the size being something D14, the D meaning bias-ply and not radial. They seem to have kept using it well into the 90s on the 3rd gen Integra. But why?

Today's cars, or at least the ones that still give you a spare tire, at least have radial donuts!

So my question is, what was the last car to have a non-radial donut?

I really miss the threads where guys could brag about a Crown Vic "score" for $5,000.00.......instead of these "what can I come up with" topics.

I really miss the threads where guys could brag about a Crown Vic "score" for $5,000.00.......instead of these "what can I come up with" topics.

Why can't people brag about a $5000 panther score anymore? :unsure:

No telling to your question. For me, it will not make any difference if my car came with a ply spare tire. To be honest, I don't know donut ply tires exist to this day. There are several expensive (high-end) cars sold as new that didn't came with a spare tire.
May I ask, why are you so concerned about it?

Last edited:
I never really looked closely but I'm thinking this is a bias ply spare (1987). Even though it typically never sees the light of day, it's probably way past its "best by" date.

Untitled-9.jpg

to be fair, not every topic can be as awesome as that.

In 1990, Honda/Acura used a bias-ply spare on the Integra. I remember the size being something D14, the D meaning bias-ply and not radial. They seem to have kept using it well into the 90s on the 3rd gen Integra. But why?

Today's cars, or at least the ones that still give you a spare tire, at least have radial donuts!

So my question is, what was the last car to have a non-radial donut?
Donut spares have soft rubber, to make up for their lack of everything else (size)... so they have decent traction, but limited life. Due to that, it doesn't really matter as much whether they are bias or radial.

Just like motorcycle tires or racing tires, bias ply's may not last as long, but they're still around because having a soft compound matters more in those applications.

This was what I found in my Genesis Coupe one day.

T135/80R-18 Kumho Spare Tire T121 SL

Attachments

• Kumho bad-temp-spare.jpg
    Kumho bad-temp-spare.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 18
This takes me back to when my dad's car took H78-14's, and he went to KMart and they mounted G78-14's. I told my dad he should take it back and he said no. I was worried as a little kid those tiny tires are gonna be on his car 2 years or more looking small like that. If I'm not mistaken a H78 is only a 215? Then, they gave him snows that were too big, J78. Seems like people did whatever they wanted back then. Sorta like today.

This takes me back to when my dad's car took H78-14's, and he went to KMart and they mounted G78-14's. I told my dad he should take it back and he said no. I was worried as a little kid those tiny tires are gonna be on his car 2 years or more looking small like that. If I'm not mistaken a H78 is only a 215? Then, they gave him snows that were too big, J78. Seems like people did whatever they wanted back then. Sorta like today.
My old Diplomat had FR78-15s, which converted to a 205/75, so a G would be 215. H would be 225.

Back