Oil Filter Cooling fins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching Trucks! on Spike TV and they showed this Oil Filter Cooling fins. The fins were shaped around the oil filter and clamped on. It was such a quick deal I missed the manufacture. Anyone seen them or know what I am talking about, if so do they really work?

Both Jeg's and Summit Racing both sell them... I'm sure JC Whitney does too. as for it working, it can't *not* work as a heat sink, AL dissipates heat extremely well. the real question is: "would it be enough to bother with?".
this I don't know.

-Bret

Another consideration is what do you think the temps are in the area of your filter during operation. On the LT1 b-bodies for example the filer is pretty tightly fit between one cat and the oil pan being that close to a cat I don't think something like this could help at all. I wonder if these might be better suited to remote filters that aren't down in engine heat, my remote tranny filter might be a prime candidate for a try because it is in a good airflow area away from heat sources.

I used one of those things on a chevy truck that I once had. I have no idea whether it did anything or not...........but it did make removal and installation of the filter a breeze.
smile.gif

quote:

Another consideration is what do you think the temps are in the area of your filter during operation. On the LT1 b-bodies for example the filer is pretty tightly fit between one cat and the oil pan being that close to a cat I don't think something like this could help at all. I wonder if these might be better suited to remote filters that aren't down in engine heat, my remote tranny filter might be a prime candidate for a try because it is in a good airflow area away from heat sources.

Never thought of that... but sure I guess it could also transfer heat back into the oil in the right conditions.

Haven't seen one, so I can only visualize what these are about. I'm sure they dissipate some amount of heat, but compared to the radiator and oil/tranny fluid coolers, I'd guess these oil filter attachments would comparatively have a very modest cooling effect at best. One indication would be to estimate the surface area of the filter attachment and compare same to that of an engine oil cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back