Difference between GM A3085C and A3086C?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious.

The A3085C is the "high capacity" filter and the A3086C is the standard filter. They both look the same except it looks like the standard filter has a blue gasket.

They both go in the same housing. When GM states high capacity do they mean the filter holds more dirt of has free flowing properties?

Thanks

I can tell you from my GM plant experience where we build large SUV's (the same as your truck really) that the difference used to be that the high capacity filter was THICKER than the regular one. Now, however, the only way to tell is by the number of pleats - the high capacity ones have more pleats. I just went out to the line and looked, lol.

Oh - high capacity refers to holding more dirt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Want more confusion? The ACDelco A1618C for early 00's Duramax diesels can be used in the gassers. All three look the same but the A1618C has been performed best in air filter tests so I use it in my 5.3L

I always encourage people who wanted a K&N on the gassers 5.3/6.0l to use the Duramax version. Granted their measurements are a fraction of an inch off but it still fits snugly in the box and seals just fine. Plus the K&N Duramax has taller pleats and 4 layers instead of the gasser 3 layers.

Stuff like this is why GM went bankrupt, they should have one air filter and use it across their entire line of trucks and SUV's where possible.

Its cheaper to mass produce one air filter than many.

This is a great example of some engineer getting carried away, and a manager not looking at it and saying. "Use one not both, and save the money of having another part number in the system, and another rack at the factory etc."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back