Bosch oil filters any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Spector:

quote:

Originally posted by OneQuartLow:
ssmokn, Are you disputing that the same vehicle with better filtration/oil/maintenance would last longer?
smile.gif

David

Well, common sense says yes, it would last longer. However, there has never been a scientific comparison test of this hypothesis by any oprganization, manufacturer etc. so it is speculation on all parts.

Spector, what tests are you looking for? I've seen reports quoted previously, and have read summaries of fleet studies so am comfortable it isn't speculation.

Maybe some of our local Tribologists/dealers/fleet managers can quote case studies for alternate lubrication or maintenance schedules? Those would make a valuable board addition.

David

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:

me and my friend were having an argument and wonderd if filters should be changed at every oil change, i think they should..what u guys think...

Of course the filter needs to be changed every oil change. The every-other-oil change routine for filters goes back fifty years when many cars didn't have filters, some that did had partial-flow bypass filters, and folks weren't used to paying the extra for filters. Of course, the quality of oil available in those days required oil changes every 1000 miles, and engines and whole cars were usually junk after 100,000 miles.

Be a big spender. Cough up the $3-$6 for a good filter EVERY oil change.

Ken

No one to my knowledge has taken two duplicate engines and run them in day to day operation one on 3000 mile filter and oil changes and the other on 7,500 oil and filter changes (same oil) and see which one blows the engine first, 100,000 , 200,000 .

That is the kind of real world test I am speaking of. No one has done that to my knowledge

quote:

Originally posted by Ken:

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
What about PureOne? Would it be good enough?

Excellent choice. One of the best filters on the market.

Ken

Hey Ken...I forgot to ask if they make a longer version for LS1s???
Thanks a lot
Rick

Rick, the longer LS1 PureONE filter is PL20123.

(I was the one who compiled the list of all the available LS1 oil filters for LS1.com, although there have been new filters since then)

PS-I wouldn't recommend running a PureONE filter on an LS1 though, or any hard driven car for that matter. I worry that it might be too restrictive to oil flow and would go into bypass more often. For harder driven cars I personally think the K&N oil filter offers the best balance of high flow and good filtration.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
PS-I wouldn't recommend running a PureONE filter on an LS1 though, or any hard driven car for that matter. I worry that it might be too restrictive to oil flow and would go into bypass more often. For harder driven cars I personally think the K&N oil filter offers the best balance of high flow and good filtration.

How does the longer filter for the LS1 compare to the PF-52. What's the difference. Same mount?? No recirc valve? Just thinking of using an even larger one for a Cav 2.2 or 3.4 GrandAm.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
How does the longer filter for the LS1 compare to the PF-52. What's the difference. Same mount?? No recirc valve? Just thinking of using an even larger one for a Cav 2.2 or 3.4 GrandAm.

The longer LS1 filter (PF58) is actually the same size as the PF52, but uses a different thread size. The PF58 has no ADBV but the PF59 does. Other than that they are identical.

Thanks Patman-bigger is always better. Both my son's Cav and GrandAm call for the PF-47 but the PF-52 works just fine. Just thought there might be something even bigger.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Thanks Patman-bigger is always better. Both my son's Cav and GrandAm call for the PF-47 but the PF-52 works just fine. Just thought there might be something even bigger.
dunno.gif

Nope, unfortunately not. The PF47 is the stock filter for the Grand Prix GTP, and when I used to own one I ran the PF52. If there was an even longer filter, believe me, I would have run it!
smile.gif

Which full flow filter you use has little to do with how long the engine lasts. The abrasives that cause most of the engine wear are much too small to be removed by any of them. The only way to deal with the engine wearing abrasives is draining the oil often or cleaning it with submicronic bypass filtration. I didn't say 1, 2, or 3 micron. I said submicronic like .01 micron. Most Motor Guard oil filters are used for compressed air where you only get one chance to get the abrasives out. This also has a big advantage for fuel. Motor Guard has the M-30. They have a special system for synthetic oil for refrigeration and vacuum pumps. I am putting together a triple system for small diesel engines where no spillage is wanted when changing like for marine engines or RV's. Using genuine Motor Guard manifolds will put the cost up. I have a special ATF model that will save money because it is self contained. No external adapter is needed.
On another thread we mentioned the Frantz oil filter being FAA approved. I don't think Frantz has made an FAA approved model for many years. The military still has some in use. I still have a few Frantz filters in use. None are FAA and PMA approved. My oldest Frantz has the two knobs on top. It is over 40 years old. My oldest Motor Guard is over 30 years old.
When I was working in a full service gas station in 1963 a chemist from the refinery told me "son use a Frantz submicronic bypass oil filter and Delo 100 oil. Your engine won't wear out and you won't have to change your oil again" About 3 years later Motor Guard came out in San Jose, CA. Multigrade oils were not much good in those days. In California we could use 30 wt year around. For awhile you could buy Frantz Motor oil.

Ralph

It is hard for me to comprehend wasting time and money on routine oil drains. I get highly irritated waiting in the local oil change business to get a safety inspection sticker. The last time I took my old Ford diesel in for a safety inspection they almost pulled it in and drained the oil.
I got off the poor filtration dirty oil and oil change merry go round 40 years ago. I've never looked back. It took me 18 years to put 240,000 on a Subaru. I changed the plugs a couple of times. I gave it to a friend and told him it is leaking about a qt of oil every 1,000 miles but it runs strong. It had no full flow filter. I changed the Frantz once a year and added a qt of Mobil 1. I actually should have changed the filter and added one qt of oil every 4,000 miles. There is a man here that drives a lot miles. He put over 500,000 on his Toyota Corolla before trading it off. Pennzoil 30 wt.
My experience is with the Frantz, Motor Guard and Gulf Coast submicronic bypass filters. The Motor Guard is the easiest to service without spillage. A man with a lot more experience with Toyotas than I have tells me the transmisssion will probably go before the engine. I have the Motor Guard ATF transmisssion filter which is the easiest to install. I have a lot of metal out of the filter the first time I changed it. It has been clean since. Hopefully I have virtually stopped the wear.
As far as Bosch filters, they remove the big stuff like the others. None of my engines have any big stuff in the oul. The big stuff is caused by not taking care of the small stuff.

Ralph

Submicronic filters are not for everyone. A good full flow filter and good oil can still allow your engine to live a long life. Probably longer than most people want to keep the car anyways. I've said it before, bypass filters are overkill for most people. Even an oil nut like myself sees no need for a bypass filter for me. On a big rig that goes 1 million miles in a few years, sure, it'll save them a ton. But honestly, the average motorist will not see much benefit from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back