My favorite 22LR rifle, Mossberg LSB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I'd tell a story of a $50 gun that's become my favorite.

A few years ago, I purchased a horribly rough Mossberg LSB from the local "Gator Hunting" fun shop, for $50. Clearly, it was no bargain and $50 was too much.

The stock had "slathered on" epoxy that "form fitted" the previous owners hand, and had knife carved decorative lines in it. Done by a 7 year old or a drunk.

The barrel had more than a little surface rust on it. Why, again, did I purchase this, dunno. There was something about it... But, when I fired it, the first round stuck in the barrel, just about in the middle. Oh boy...

I dug the round out, and quickly determined that the barrel was bent, right about where the rounds were jamming. Well, not being willing to give up, I put it in the hydraulic press and, after some careful bending, and measuring in the lathe (dial indicator) I had a true barrel. Still did not shoot correctly. As there was a bit of a burr or buildup where the rounds were jamming.

So, I used "Velocitors" (a high powered 22 round) and dipped every other one in fine valve grinding compound. After a box or 2 of this, I cleaned the bore and went shooting. Oh boy! It was perfect!

So, I sanded down and re-finished the stock. Came out really nice. I also cleaned and coated the barrel with "teflon" anti chafe paint (for our Eurocopter tail rotor blades) .

It was a lot of work, but the result is a fantastic gun, with the best accuracy of all my 22's. And, better than that, it likes any kind of ammo. It will even stabilize the Aguila SSS, super subsonic 60 grain, 22LR rounds. None of my other guns will do this.

With conventional 22 target ammo, this gun is 1/4 inch accurate at 67 yards (the longest range I have in my yard)

Pics to come...

Last edited:
img0064fbm.jpg

Very nice rifle, I like the picture of you sitting in the chair, crossing your leg with the gun on your shoe. And of course the bird feeder in view. If it was a shot gun, I would think you were waiting to welcome and send back some intruders in your kingdom! LOL!

Nice!

I had one of those as a teenager. Around 1952 I think. Think I paid $29.95 or something like that from Montgomery Wards catalog.

There were several models, mine was a 144s, with clip feed and peep sight, the same as yours.
barrel was 26" long x 1" diameter, no taper. Had the same weight and balance as my 30-06 deer rifle. Sold mine for $45 in the mid 80's after a house fire. It was the best shooting gun I ever owned. Wish I'd kept it.

Did a search and found the following links.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/969274054/Gun...g_144_LS_22.htm

Sold for $298 .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Mossberg-Mo...=item5d3fc098f7

List price $31.98

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=338436107

Sold for $340 .

www.mossbergcollectors.org

Wayne

My dad has a Mossberg similar to that but tube fed from the front and has a more military look to it. It's one of the guns I learned to shoot with and is amazingly accurate.

The hooded peep sights really help.

Hahaha, that old advertisement has the gun at $31 in 1952.

Mine's no collectors gun. It was quite rusty and pitted on the outside. Took a bit of work to clean it up.

So, I don't mind modifying it. I'd like to put a scope on it, but this gun really warrants a nice scope with very sharp optics and a fine reticle.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I dug the round out, and quickly determined that the barrel was bent, right about where the rounds were jamming. Well, not being willing to give up, I put it in the hydraulic press and, after some careful bending, and measuring in the lathe (dial indicator) I had a true barrel.

Based on the photos, that barrel looks STOUT. How the heck did it get bent I wonder ... beating gators over the head or something?
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I dug the round out, and quickly determined that the barrel was bent, right about where the rounds were jamming. Well, not being willing to give up, I put it in the hydraulic press and, after some careful bending, and measuring in the lathe (dial indicator) I had a true barrel.

Based on the photos, that barrel looks STOUT. How the heck did it get bent I wonder ... beating gators over the head or something?
shocked.gif

I have no idea. I suppose they used it to pry a truck out of the mud, or to change a tire. It was bent nearly 1/4 inch!

I ran a few boxes of ammo through it yesterday. Still works perfectly. Amazing little rifle.

Now to put a nice scope on it. This is just a backyard plinker, and the distances I shoot in my backyard range between 20, 47 and 67 yards. I will also go to the real range and shoot it at 50 and 100 yards. Not likely to ever do any super long distance shooting with it. But you never know.

Since it's so accurate, I'd like a small reticle and decent, modestly priced optics. No cheapie scopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back