Sig Sauer p320

This is controversial, but it is alleged in the current lawsuit that holsters which put slight tension and depress the side of the P320 trigger very slightly will disable the internal firing pin block and allow a jolt to set off the striker.

It is through this mechanism that multiple police officers’ pistols have gone off while secured inside holsters.

I’m inclined to believe this, given the problems of the past. I’d personally stay away.
Quote unquote, according to Sig, that's been taken care of.. with that upgrade.. but I don't know if that's true or false.. but yes I did read about that..

Quote unquote, according to Sig, that's been taken care of.. with that upgrade.. but I don't know if that's true or false.. but yes I did read about that..
You’re thinking of the 2017 “drop safe” lawsuit. I’m talking about the latest lawsuit where p320s are allegedly firing while holstered.

The “voluntary upgrade program” which swapped for a lower-mass trigger is not a fix for this new alleged safety issue.

I’m a multi platform armorer , former police armorer and former police officer, and current semi retired armed security officer.I have followed this P320 closely.

The drop safety recall from very early P320 did fix the issue. New guns are safe and there is not a single verified instance of the gun just going off in the holster. When the trigger is pulled, the guns fire. As expected. There have been numerous cases of faulty light bearing holsters, but that has nothing to do with the gun.

As far as I can tell, Sig has been sued several times due to guns firing in holsters but they have won every single one of these lawsuits. Because a faulty holster is not a fault of the gun. Sig has proven time and time again that the guns function as desired and are safe.

The best armorers and firearms gunsmiths experts in the nation have examined this gun and I haven’t heard of a single expert finding fault with any of the newly manufactured P320 pistols or finding any safety concerns.

At this point, I would consider the platform a mature and safe platform.

I have access to every late model duty weapon available and I choose an Sig P320 for duty work in armed security. It's dead reliable and I get faster more accurate shots on target with the P320 than any other gun I have tried.

I’m a multi platform armorer , former police armorer and former police officer, and current semi retired armed security officer.I have followed this P320 closely.

The drop safety recall from very early P320 did fix the issue. New guns are safe and there is not a single verified instance of the gun just going off in the holster. When the trigger is pulled, the guns fire. As expected. There have been numerous cases of faulty light bearing holsters, but that has nothing to do with the gun.

As far as I can tell, Sig has been sued several times due to guns firing in holsters but they have won every single one of these lawsuits. Because a faulty holster is not a fault of the gun. Sig has proven time and time again that the guns function as desired and are safe.

The best armorers and firearms gunsmiths experts in the nation have examined this gun and I haven’t heard of a single expert finding fault with any of the newly manufactured P320 pistols or finding any safety concerns.

I have access to every late model duty weapon available and I choose an Sig P320 for duty work in armed security. It's dead reliable and I get faster more accurate shots on target with the P320 than any other gun I have tried.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much!!!

Full striker-sear engagement on the subject pistol is only .054”, which for comparison is approximately the thickness of a dime. For the striker to disengage from the sear without the striker safety block engaged, it would only need to move approximately one-twentieth of one inch. Such a disengagement can be caused by vibration, jostling, or contact with the P320. Sig Sauer acknowledges in its safety manuals for the P320 that contact such as the “firearm being dropped, impact to the firearm, or the firearm being struck by another object” can cause safety mechanisms to “fail to work as designed.” See SIG-SLATOWSKI 00698.

While Sig Sauer describes this type of contact as “abusive handling,” the situations described by Sig Sauer (i.e. firearm being dropped, impact to the firearm, firearm being struck by another object) are commonplace occurrences. By Sig Sauer’s own admission, the mechanical safety systems (including the .054” striker-sear engagement) can fail when the weapon is exposed to contact. Even minimal contact, as evidenced in videos of other incidents, can cause a hazardous unintended discharge. SIG_SLATOWSKI 00698

The second major internal safety described by Mr. Toner is the striker safety lock. The striker safety lock serves to block the striker pin from moving forward and impacting a chambered cartridge in the event the striker-sear engagement is lost. Mr. Toner describes the striker safety lock feature accordingly. Despite Mr. Toner’s representation that a trigger pull is required to release the striker safety lock, the striker safety lock is disengaged by pulling the trigger a fraction of the total travel distance required to discharge a round as the weapon is designed. As measured by the undersigned on a newly purchased exemplar P320, the striker safety lock is disengaged with a trigger pull of under .075” with under 1.5 pounds of pressure. Once the striker safety lock is disengaged, the sear-sear connection is the only feature holding back a fully cocked striker. At that point, disengagement of the striker and sear can be caused by dropping of the firearm, impact to the firearm, or the firearm being struck by another object without a full actuation of the trigger.

Just me but Taurus is not something I would trust to defend my life. Range toy, sure.
Taurus is more of a range gun which is what I assumed OP was intending it to be for.

The G3/G3C has a bit of a break in period before you can reliably carry it specifically with hollow points, you can polish the feed ramp and upgrade the recoil spring to get ahead of it which still keeps you well under Sig and Glock prices.

For carry I am more inclined to recommend a Shield Plus since the Shield platform is well proven and reliable.

I have one as an issued duty gun, the form factor, takes some getting used to.
Its a solid piece, it feels strong, I feel as if I could beat someone with it.
I prefer the ergonomics of my Taurus G3, (which does not feel as if u could beat someone with it) but the more I shoot the M17 (nee Sig P320) the more I like it too.
It shoots quit accurate and relatively easy and has the external safety we require of our pistols.

Question is do you want anightstand gun? then full size is fine.
Or do you want a carry gun?; then P320 is too large.

Last edited:
Just me but Taurus is not something I would trust to defend my life. Range toy, sure.
Sir i respectfully disagree.
Consider the folowing.
Ther are IMHO the most ergonomic handguns on the market.
Even if they are indeed not as durable as a Sig at 2-3 times the price, but that is not relevant to a civilian self defense shooting which is over in 2 rounds on average.
Just 2 days ago I took out my personal Taurus G3 and wrung it out over a couple of coruses of fire with a total of 400 rds.
No malfunction of any kind, no relubing between heats.
That is way more than any self defense scenario would ever call for.

I admit I had some malfuntions last year before it was fully broken in, especially with economy ammo, but the exact same thing happend with my issued Sig P320.

And good ergnonomics make you faster, this is even more important than accuracy in a self defense shooting ( which nearly all take place at 7 yards or less).
Speed while maintaining some level of accuracy good enough for short range, is the single greatest skill to have for modern self defense.
Not shooting 100 yard paper targets with a long barreled gun, once every summer for 30 years.

I probably have shot more handguns than most on here, to include the latest sigs (my P320 duty handgun, which is not bad), an HK, the M9 Beretta (also better than its reputation), the Smith M&P 9 etc, etc, all well respected names.
Which are great guns, but I always come back to the Taurus G2C, G3C twins for compacts and the G3 for full size even when I have those other guns at home.
The ergonomics and intuitive pointability are just so superior.

But this is something the casual shooter may not fully appreciate.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I haven't been on here still interested, but my dog unfortunately had a medical emergency.. Thank God he's will be ok. I'm still at a toss up between the Ruger 57 and the Sig 320. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm sorry I haven't been on here still interested, but my dog unfortunately had a medical emergency.. Thank God he's will be ok. I'm still at a toss up between the Ruger 57 and the Sig 320. 🤷🏻‍♂️
So glad to hear he’s going to be OK! Way more important a thing than choosing a gun…

I held one for the first time last Wednesday at the gun shop while picking up stripped lower. I liked it, might get one eventually. $499.99 wasn’t bad either for the full size 9mm with contrast sights.

I held one for the first time last Wednesday at the gun shop while picking up stripped lower. I liked it, might get one eventually. $499.99 wasn’t bad either for the full size 9mm with contrast sights.
Most definitely that's what I thought as well.. Ruger 57 is nice.. bad part is the price of ammo.. ☹️

No horse in the 320 "incident" race BUT I am following the matter. To date, not a single indy or otherwise has been able to replicate what others have stated occurred. That says a lot to me as there are top people/entity's in the industry looking to find the cause. Quite a bit of time and zero replication. You can also search the dozen or more lawsuits Sig had won on summary judgment or outright dismissed.

The more I read about it, I'm finding the same as you are. I'm in a way putting this whole thing in the same basket as the Toyota's that would all of a sudden "floor it" all on their own.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But it's all but impossible to replicate. That knocks it down several pegs on my, "worry list".

The more I read about it, I'm finding the same as you are. I'm in a way putting this whole thing in the same basket as the Toyota's that would all of a sudden "floor it" all on their own.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But it's all but impossible to replicate. That knocks it down several pegs on my, "worry list".
I was thinking about getting the 320 coyote with the manual safety no sense of paying $150 more.

What are you guys know about the Beretta apx?
Not for me. And my favorite gun is a Beretta.

I do think there is still a 50$ rebate on the Beretta site.

the 5.7 ammo can be had on ammos eek.com (take out the space of course). DeLeon RX is a good shipper, I've bought from them a couple of times.

1696550170349.jpg

JHP will cost a buck/rd - but for popping jugs/paper ain't nothing wrong with Fiocchi

JHP will cost a buck/rd - but for popping jugs/paper ain't nothing wrong with Fiocchi
[/QUOTE]

Thank you,

That's a decent price, but I still think it's going to end up sitting in my safe.. 😕 the only thing getting much use these days, are my 9mm's and my 22.

Anyone on this forum have one?
I've been carrying one for almost three years now, an RXP (full-size with red dot). It was a quick and easy way into a red dot carry gun at the time, but it's stuck around.

I replaced the grip frame with one from Wilson Combat. The grip feels slimmer and kinda sorta 1911-ish to me.

I've shot it a lot, mostly with my cast bullet handloads. I've used it in I think five classes. Pretty accurate, and I don't remember ever having a malfunction.

I'm thinking of picking up a Glock 44 .22 cal. Also a Glock 19x I think it might go well with the Glock 17. I can get out as much as I want with the Glock 44.

Back