Changing Oil Filter Every Other Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RevRider
Is this any reason why you can't change your oil filter every other time if you are using a high capacity filter like M1, Amsoil, Puralator synthtetic, etc., and only going 4k to 5k on oil service intervals?

sure, if you don't mind all that black dirty oil in your filter staying in your engine along with the nice new oil

I think if I was gonna save a few bucks reusing a filter, I would at least dump it out at the oil change.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
No comment.

Do not tell me to be quiet. Start thinking for yourself.

That's me holding a poster of me.
Again, no comment.

Originally Posted By: LScowboy
Is this any reason why you can't change your oil filter every other time if you are using a high capacity filter like M1, Amsoil, Puralator synthtetic, etc., and only going 4k to 5k on oil service intervals?

sure, if you don't mind all that black dirty oil in your filter staying in your engine along with the nice new oil

I think if I was gonna save a few bucks reusing a filter, I would at least dump it out at the oil change.

What kind of oil are you using and/or how badly is your engine running that you're worried about a little bit of leftover oil in the filter?

For reference, our Civic takes 4 quarts and the amount indicated on the dipstick after adding 4 quarts of oil, with or without an oil filter change, is very small - I add the same amount of oil at each oil change, regardless of whether I change the filter, too.

So, with a Fumoto valve installed, changing only the oil is incredibly easy. I use a better-built filter that gives ME a warm and fuzzy from the beginning aaaaaaaaall the way to the end of its second interval, and only have to change it ~ once/year sounds like pretty good economy to me

Last edited:

Right. Because that 1/4 quart of black dirty oil can just go with the other 3/4 of a quart of black dirty oil that an engine cannot drain,whether its inside the lifters or still in the top end or wherever its hiding.
You will never get all the oil out at the time of oil change and since this is bitog I assume its common knowledge that a filter actually becomes more efficient as it traps particles,and will actually trap smaller particles when half used then when new.
Honda for example has at some point recommended changing the filters every second oil change interval and their engines are thought of as the most reliable engines available.
I've taken engines well into the 500000km range servicing them the way I do and haven't had an oil related failure. In fact what ends up taking them from me is another motorist,not part failure.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

What kind of oil are you using and/or how badly is your engine running that you're worried about a little bit of leftover oil in the filter?

For reference, our Civic takes 4 quarts and the amount indicated on the dipstick after adding 4 quarts of oil, with or without an oil filter change, is very small - I add the same amount of oil at each oil change, regardless of whether I change the filter, too.

So, with a Fumoto valve installed, changing only the oil is incredibly easy. I use a better-built filter that gives ME a warm and fuzzy from the beginning aaaaaaaaall the way to the end of its second interval, and only have to change it ~ once/year sounds like pretty good economy to me

So, with a conventional drain plug and using a wrench to remove it, changing the oil is easy, to me anyway. I use a MC filter, but can use any brand I choose to, and I get that same warm and fuzzy feeling from the beginning, aaaaaall the way to the end of its 1 and only interval use! And, I change them at every OCI because I can, and want to.
35.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Soooooooooo, you don't mind if I change my oil filter every OCI, as long as I don't mind if you use yours for multiple OCIs? Sounds fair to me.
thumbsup2.gif

Right. Because that 1/4 quart of black dirty oil can just go with the other 3/4 of a quart of black dirty oil that an engine cannot drain,whether its inside the lifters or still in the top end or wherever its hiding.
You will never get all the oil out at the time of oil change and since this is bitog I assume its common knowledge that a filter actually becomes more efficient as it traps particles,and will actually trap smaller particles when half used then when new.
Honda for example has at some point recommended changing the filters every second oil change interval and their engines are thought of as the most reliable engines available.
I've taken engines well into the 500000km range servicing them the way I do and haven't had an oil related failure. In fact what ends up taking them from me is another motorist,not part failure.

Soooooooooo, you don't mind if I change my oil filter every OCI, as long as I don't mind if you use yours for multiple OCIs? Sounds fair to me.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

So, with a conventional drain plug and using a wrench to remove it, changing the oil is easy, to me anyway. I use a MC filter, but can use any brand I choose to, and I get that same warm and fuzzy feeling from the beginning, aaaaaall the way to the end of its 1 and only interval use! And, I change them at every OCI because I can, and want to.
35.gif

To each his or her own. I've successfully, messlessly done many "conventional" changes. For me, turning a ball valve 90° and working on other things while the oil drains is about as easy as it gets.
11.gif

If I sent out a sample for analysis that showed I could go 2X my current MM-directed OCI, the I would be changing the oil and filter at the same time, most likely. So, it's all relative, really. For some one who changes both his/her oil and filter at 5k miles, then their OCI would be 5/7th mine; the OFI 5/14th mine. The odds are with us, that none of us will experience an oil-related issue. So, whether you still do $50 oil changes every 3k or a mix of oil and filter changes that extends well beyond that, it doesn't matter. Again, to each his or her own
10.gif

To each his or her own. I've successfully, messlessly done many "conventional" changes. For me, turning a ball valve 90° and working on other things while the oil drains is about as easy as it gets.
11.gif

If I sent out a sample for analysis that showed I could go 2X my current MM-directed OCI, the I would be changing the oil and filter at the same time, most likely. So, it's all relative, really. For some one who changes both his/her oil and filter at 5k miles, then their OCI would be 5/7th mine; the OFI 5/14th mine. The odds are with us, that none of us will experience an oil-related issue. So, whether you still do $50 oil changes every 3k or a mix of oil and filter changes that extends well beyond that, it doesn't matter. Again, to each his or her own
10.gif

Well said sir.
thumbsup2.gif

I have been going with changing the filter every 10k on my Miata. It's tough to get at and I really like the fact that I can extend the life of the filter and just drain the oil etc.

Like someone wrote in a previous post- There's a lot of oil that still resides inside an engine. If Honda has stated they suggest this... then I may as well take their findings and do the same thing.

I've come a long way since the old "Every 3K" days...

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
I have been going with changing the filter every 10k on my Miata. It's tough to get at and I really like the fact that I can extend the life of the filter and just drain the oil etc.

Like someone wrote in a previous post- There's a lot of oil that still resides inside an engine. If Honda has stated they suggest this... then I may as well take their findings and do the same thing.

I've come a long way since the old "Every 3K" days...

I wouldn't say I am stuck on the 3K mile OCI days, but I am stuck on changing the filter every time the oil is drained.

My favorite way to monitor the oil filter is with the oil pressure gauge.

If the oil pressure gauge is after the oil filter (which most vehicles are), there's no way to tell by the oil pressure gauge what the condition of the filter is if the engine has a positive displacement oil pump.

Only true way is to measure the delta-P across the filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
My favorite way to monitor the oil filter is with the oil pressure gauge.

If the oil pressure gauge is after the oil filter (which most vehicles are), there's no way to tell by the oil pressure gauge what the condition of the filter is if the engine has a positive displacement oil pump.

Only true way is to have a way to measure the delta-P across the filter.

In the line of work I used to do that was how we determined if a suction diffuser was restricted or not.

http://www.keckley.com/suction-diffuser-triple-duty-valves.html

I use Pure One and change it every 6 months which is about 2k miles on two cars and 4k miles on one car.

in the 50s chrysler said that a pressure drop of 8-9 psi is when the pressure by pass should come on. once i put a gauge on each side of the filter. after 3,000 miles i cuold see no difference in the gauges. but i changed the filter any way.

Originally Posted By: morris
in the 50s chrysler said that a pressure drop of 8-9 psi is when the pressure by pass should come on. once i put a gauge on each side of the filter. after 3,000 miles i cuold see no difference in the gauges. but i changed the filter any way.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: morris

I am currently doing that and the differential pressure has not appreciably changed in the nearly 9,000 miles since I installed the gauges but the filter had been installed 5K before that. Currently, with warm 10W30 MC Heavy Duty (HDEO) oil, DP is running 3-4 psi @ 2000 rpm with the oil at 180-190F. P1 filter, by the way. The filter will be changed at 15K miles.

great to see a real test being done, Jim. i should have listed the my engine under test. it was 1964 dart with a slant 6 225. i had just overhauled it and was into learning every thing i could about cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back